Kinbaryu

An Interactive Story Featuring... You!

Posted (edited)

Hey reader! Welcome to the first entry of my new project, an interactive story. There’s a lot of things I’ll be experimenting in this project, but my main objective is for you to have fun and feel like you have an input.

Remember: anything can happen in this story. Don't fret about things like historical accuracy. I'm also going to be trying to build a universe from scratch, so don't feel like there are some rules or guidelines we have to follow. So far, the story has taken place in a fantasy medieval setting, with things like knights, paladins, and more!

Special thanks to @Seshi for supporting me along the way! You’re awesome, Seshi-senpai. <3

Spoiler

You gaze upon the town of Yunma while sitting atop a hill with your dearest friend, Williard. Although that town was the world to both of you, it looked so endearingly small from where you sit. The towering chapel, the inn, the town hall, the Suntell Tavern…

You think about the memories you had in this town, from going to school with Williard, (who you’ve nicknamed Willy) to coming home hours past midnight, to solemnly attending the Chapel of Kuthin, to playing with other kids of Yunma. You used to have strong friendships them, but they’ve slowly drifted away, except for Williard. You can’t help but softly smile, almost wishing for those nostalgic days to come back to you.

Williard was going to join Lloyd’s Concrete, a guild of paladins and guardians. Since Williard has a strong Faith to Kuthin and desire to help others, it’s a perfect fit for him. You had seriously considered following him, but your parents urged you not to. Because today is his last day at Yunma, you spend it with him before he departs.

“I’ll miss this town,” he confesses. You nod your head, despite him not looking at you.

“You can always come back to visit, Willy,” you remind him, almost begging. You feel small and lonely.

“I will,” he promises. You feel a bit at ease, taking a deep breath. He stands up, brushing the dirt and grass off his clothes. He extends a hand to help you up, and you take it.

The two of you walk back to Yunma. Williard notices the caravan was here to pick him up. He turns to you, so you offer him a handshake.

You’re surprised when he pulls you in for a hug. You slowly wrap your arms around him, too. When the two of you break, he walks to the caravan, taking one last look at you before the caravan rides off.

“Goodbye, Willy,” you say to yourself, knowing he can’t hear you. You watch the caravan as it departs, until it disappears into the horizon.

Life returns to normal, with you attending the chapel every evening and tending to whatever housework and farmwork your parents needed help with that day. One day, you decide to climb up the hill that you and Willy had sat upon that day. Since you had already done some work that day, your body was a little sore, but you manage to slowly make your way up the hill.

When you turn around to look upon Yunma, your stomach sinks to the ground. The Dark Portal opened above the city, raining terrifying man-eaters. Horrible creatures emerge, and you can only imagine the horror they would bring. 

Clutching your sacred talisman, you remember the legends that you’ve been told throughout your childhood. The Dark Portal opened before, birthing creatures that inflict agony to whatever they touch. It took years for the portal to finally close, but it had taken countless lives alongside it. You still remember playing with the other kids, pretending to vanquish evil, but you never imagined the portal coming back.

With this old evil staring down upon you, you can’t help but feel empty looking upon the town you took for granted as home.

Will you:

a)    Run into town, trying to help anyone you can find

b)    Look for help by running down the road until you find someone

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the main character’s name and gender or title of the story. I’m also open to any ideas for new characters or actions you’d like to see. (This means you can DM me any OCs you'd like to have included!)

React “Useful” if you want the main character to go through action a)

React “Informative” if you want the main character to go through action b)

OR

You could even tell me what you think would be a better option! If enough people agree with you and/or I like your suggestion, I’ll be sure to keep it in mind.

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Useful 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 2

I’m a “be useful” type of person, rash and quick to act. So this may not be the best course for our MC, but I feel like it may be too late to help anyone if we wait for reinforcements. 

————

Here is a mood board for the story,  it’s in its infancy, but If you want to join in as a collaborator to add your vision to the board, please request to be added, and either Kinbaryu or myself can put you in. 

https://www.pinterest.com/Seshi01/world-building-mood-board/

Possible title: “The Darkening Point”

Was going to day Dark Cloud, but that’s been taken by an RPG game already 🤣

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

If MC had no skill or way to kill this creatures, i think he should stay a bit longer there, learning about his enemy. 

After that he could go on adventure to learn and fight against them if possible,travel and enjoy until he can.

Find some company and protect each other. He would go to find Willy, and they can find some girls maybe haha. 

Now, when he is ready to fight back, the battle beggins! 

P. S.  This is awesome dude, love it! 

• Friendly 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Wow, the departure had my eyes filling up, I get super emotional really easily at stuff like that.

I'm also a 'be useful' type of person.

I really enjoyed reading what you have written. I wish I was a good writer like you. I haven't gotten round to my short story yet but I'm hoping to start it as soon as I can.

This is really amazing! I love the style of your writing and the emotion that is put into it! 😊

• Friendly 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Posted (edited)

@Sickeyes and @VampireKnight19 so both of you choose option a? 

Also, did you guys want to be added to the mood board collab for the story? 

Edited by Seshi

@VampireKnight19 @Sickeyes Make sure you guys use the correct reactions if you'd like to see the character go down a certain route. :nerd: I'm still open to ideas, though.

For now, I am writing the next entry based upon option a. I hope you are all looking forward to it. 😇

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

@Kinbaryu  Offcourse im looking forward to it!

@Seshi hm, i would like to have some more description of  world and what skills do this people have, but yes..I will go option a.😊

And  yep, i could be added in mood board collab for the story (whatever this means hahah, bad english xD) 

• Like 2

@Sickeyes, @VampireKnight19 I'm glad you guys are having fun with the story so far. Here's the second entry:

Spoiler

You quickly shake your head, waking yourself up. The day wasn’t over yet. Hurriedly, you slide down the hill, feeling the adrenaline giving your body new energy. If you could save at least one more person, that’d be enough for you.

Your heart stops when your eyes lay upon a man-sized demon gouging upon Martha’s right rib cage. The creature’s face was covered in horns, opening new holes in her body every time it took a bite. You avert your eyes from seeing anymore and hide behind a house to the left, making sure to not make too much noise.

The image flashes through your mind again. Martha was dead. You didn’t know her that well, but you knew she was a bright person that spent a lot of time with your mother. She wasn’t even halfway through living her life, yet it had been struck down before you could even attempt to help.

Why is this happening? Is everyone okay? Where are my parents? What’s going to happen to my home?

You clutch your talisman once more, slowing your thinking and breathing. Slowly, you peek across the corner, confirming the demon was still feasting upon your once-was neighbor. You burn the image of the demon’s appearance into your mind, swearing that you’d slay it. The sound of flesh being torn and consumed by the demon floods your ears, making you wince in disgust. 

You rack your brain for ideas. What could you do in this situation? You quickly shoot your eyes around, until you spot a woodcutting ax to the right. You also notice there weren’t any other demons nearby. Although you might expose yourself for a moment, you think you could get the ax without being detected.

You take another deep breath. Will you:
a) Take the ax, and attack the demon with it
b) Look for more villagers without taking the ax
c) Take the ax quietly, then look for villagers

@Seshi had suggested (and I agree) that we should add some more details to the main character, since their appearance and personality has been vague so far. Some things I'd like for you guys to consider are: 

• What gender is the main character?
  • What is the name of the main character?
  • What kind of hair/eye color does the main character have?
  • What kind of build do they have? (Weight, height, strength, etc.)
  • How does the main character act?

Again, let me know if you'd like to see certain things, like creatures, characters, or classes. I'm open to pretty much every idea. Now, for the choices:

• If you'd like option a), react to this post with "Creative".
  • If you'd like option b), react to this post with "Optimistic".
  • If you'd like option c), react to this post with "Useful".
Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Useful 2

My newbish main character would definitely sneak out of there and take the ax too, just in case. Hopefully we aren't spotted O_O

I'd like to see a blonde guy, small build (but muscular from workin' on the farm) He's prone to pick pockets as his build lends well to him sneaking around. He is adept at most weapon handling, having strong hands and upper arms from swinging an ax to cut wood. This character could be any warrior class, as well as magical casting ability, since he is human. He has dark green eyes, a trait developed by necessity in workin out in the sun, though his skin can tan, he is remarkably pale in comparison to the darker townsfolk. Typically wearing tanned leather pants, and vest, with a worn in sackcloth shirt, and worn darn boots, this character is also fond of jewelry, useful trinkets may boost your popularity with him.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Thanks for the detailed description, @Seshi! I'm surprised you'd want to sneak around despite your favor towards berserker and warrior-types. 😆 I love the attributes you gave our MC-san, I'll be sure to keep them noted.

FINNALYY.😄😁

Okay, lets start with suggestions about character, khm khm:😉

1.Gender:male.

Because i would like him to meet with his best buddy again, and it would suck if it would be a girl, cuz it reminds me that i dont have one xDDD

2.Name: Relion

3.He posses dark blue eyes and dark short hair, but hair is not short like on soldier, it is styled on right, you know hahah xD (I will send you a picture on discord hahah) 

4.He is 185 cm tall(but still can grow more). His weight is about 78 kg. 

He is very nicely builded(like me hehe, dm me for picture 😄😜) (just kidding for picture, but for real im training for 4 years now xD) He is very physicly active, so from really young age he had to help his sick mother. To chop trees, drag them to house, chop on smaller pieces, fix the fence, but he was also working out decently. He is not 100% muscle, because he never knew situation like this will ever come. But througu his joirney, he will become a greek god judging by his build. (like me hehehe💪

We can see that he is very capable and strong for his age which is not given i think, but i would like to suggest 16-17 y old. He is yey to learn combat skills and so on, he will meet new people, good and bad ones. Thanks to them he will find out that something called "Quirk" is in all of them, but needs to be awakend, he have potentionaly one of the strongest quirks in the world, which i will tell later as the story continues hahah..

5.He is very determin, and smart boy, who prommised himself that he will survive, and win in this hell. He is kind when he needs to, and cruel when situation requests. 😉🤗

This is going very well so far(great actually),and im lucky to be part of it :)

Sorry for Quirck, im out of ideas xD

I havent read part 2 yet, wait xD

@Kinbaryu Okay, just did it, its awesome, and it perfectly combines with my ideas yeyy xD Because he is smart and he sweared that he will slay it, and survive, he knew he didnt stand a chance with that axe, because he didnt even knew, if they could be killed, and how strong theh are, so i would say..., to run away, but there is no such an option, so i will pick up a c) 😉

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Sickeyes said:

FINNALYY.😄😁

Okay, lets start with suggestions about character, khm khm:😉

1.Gender:male.

Because i would like him to meet with his best buddy again, and it would suck if it would be a girl, cuz it reminds me that i dont have one xDDD

2.Name: Relion

3.He posses dark blue eyes and dark short hair, but hair is not short like on soldier, it is styled on right, you know hahah xD (I will send you a picture on discord hahah) 

4.He is 185 cm tall(but still can grow more). His weight is about 78 kg. 

He is very nicely builded(like me hehe, dm me for picture 😄😜) (just kidding for picture, but for real im training for 4 years now xD) He is very physicly active, so from really young age he had to help his sick mother. To chop trees, drag them to house, chop on smaller pieces, fix the fence, but he was also working out decently. He is not 100% muscle, because he never knew situation like this will ever come. But througu his joirney, he will become a greek god judging by his build. (like me hehehe💪

We can see that he is very capable and strong for his age which is not given i think, but i would like to suggest 16-17 y old. He is yey to learn combat skills and so on, he will meet new people, good and bad ones. Thanks to them he will find out that something called "Quirk" is in all of them, but needs to be awakend, he have potentionaly one of the strongest quirks in the world, which i will tell later as the story continues hahah..

5.He is very determin, and smart boy, who prommised himself that he will survive, and win in this hell. He is kind when he needs to, and cruel when situation requests. 😉🤗

This is going very well so far(great actually),and im lucky to be part of it :)

Sorry for Quirck, im out of ideas xD

I havent read part 2 yet, wait xD

You are cracking me up so much! XD

Yea, I agree, maybe not a quirk, per se.. But a special ability or fighting "class" that is chosen later on, and can specialize in a certain skill and get better as the series goes on. 

I see a lot of similarities between MC I would like to see, and the one that you have described. We'd both like them to be young, in order to have room for growth, and a strong build from normal farm work/ physical ability. I'm okay with your physical description of short dark hair and dark blue eyes. As long as we get a blond character at some point 😉

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

And yeah, when you confirm this stuff about world, MC i will be able to start our project😉

• Like 2