Animes you watched or watch most people don't know about

Serge heartless

In the past I watched some animes that no one has heard of like dual parallel trouble adventure. Some people that have watched it think its just a neon genesis evangelion rip off. Though I think I like Dual more since the characters aren't not always annoying. Gad guard is other anime most people don't know about.  If you like giant robot anime you might like it, also Katana is maybe one of my favorite anime characters. Serial experiments lain, is a hard anime to watch for the 1st time. Since so much happens really fast, you might have to watch a few eps over again to understand what is going on. It kind of reminds me of the Matrix.  Vandread is other giant mech anime, but its also kind of a ecchi anime.  Though the characters and story are more deep then most of its kid. 

Also read or die tv series. 3 sisters have the power to control paper, and make it cut through anything, turn it into animals, or weapons. They are hired bodyguards.

Edited by Serge heartless

There’s an obscure scifi title called Geneshaft that takes the female vs male society concept of Vandread but takes the story more seriously and with less ecchiness. Another obscure scifi mecha series I enjoyed quite a bit was Str.A.In (Strategic Armored Infantry).

I’d also mentioned a shonen title called Buso Renkin not many people seem to have watched.  It takes the basic fantasy elements of the Philosopher’s Stone and homunculi but does something completely different from FMA. The male & female MCs remind me of Ichigo & Rukia from Bleach but I found it more enjoyable.

I’ve mentioned (Louie the) Rune Soldier a couple times as a comedic parody of the fantasy D&D genre that doesn’t get the recognition that Slayers did but was actually funnier/more enjoyable IMO.

Finally, I enjoyed R.O.D TV enjoyable as well. It actually is a sequel to the OVA series, but you don’t see how it fits together until the half-way point. And the tv series us more cerebral than tge OVA which puts most of the emphasis on action.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I've seen most of those, though I don't think I finished Vandred.  Even DP, which was overshadowed by other/better stuff in its day.

I watch a lot of oddball stuff, and I'm most attracted to spacy stuff (as in outer space) and SF.  If it has to do with space I want to know about it, though I've probably already seen it.  :)  I prefer the "harder" SF stuff though, and mecha has been done to death IMO, so I can't/won't say much about gundam-ish titles.   Off the top of my head, my obscure/rare list would probably include things like Moonlight Mile, Planetes, Rocket Girls, TO, Sora no Manimani, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

There’s an obscure scifi title called Geneshaft that takes the female vs male society concept of Vandread but takes the story more seriously and with less ecchiness. Another obscure scifi mecha series I enjoyed quite a bit was Str.A.In (Strategic Armored Infantry).

I’d also mentioned a shonen title called Buso Renkin not many people seem to have watched.  It takes the basic fantasy elements of the Philosopher’s Stone and homunculi but does something completely different from FMA. The male & female MCs remind me of Ichigo & Rukia from Bleach but I found it more enjoyable.

I’ve mentioned (Louie the) Rune Soldier a couple times as a comedic parody of the fantasy D&D genre that doesn’t get the recognition that Slayers did but was actually funnier/more enjoyable IMO.

Finally, I enjoyed R.O.D TV enjoyable as well. It actually is a sequel to the OVA series, but you don’t see how it fits together until the half-way point. And the tv series us more cerebral than tge OVA which puts most of the emphasis on action.

Oh bunso renkin 👍cool

I've seen most of the above or at least a few episodes of them. 

A series I rather enjoyed (even though it was very weird most of the time) was Juden Chan (also known as Charger Girls). Pretty much about a group of girls whose job is to prevent people who are extremely depressed from becoming suicidal. It doesn't seem like there would be any weird kinky things on there but there is (the main character likes a TV series that has a girl who constantly fights an alien like creature that keeps using it's tentacles to defeat the girl by sticking it you know where. Also the main character tends to pee herself whenever sees a cute guy or gets hit by a bat across the face when seen by the other main character who happens to be human).

• Like 1

im kind of surprised some people here no the animes I'm talking about, when I goto my cardstore we talk about anime. And most people I have no clue what animes I'm talking about.  Excel saga, Hitman reborn, black cat, ill bring up that also they have no idea about. Though I heard black cat manga is more complete then the anime.  Could be also these never played in America, and you have to look them up. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

A series I rather enjoyed (even though it was very weird most of the time) was Juden Chan (also known as Charger Girls).

I have that one on dvd around here somewhere. Yeah, ranks right up there with Akikan for weird ecchi comedies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

im kind of surprised some people here no the animes I'm talking about, when I goto my cardstore we talk about anime. And most people I have no clue what animes I'm talking about.  Excel saga, Hitman reborn, black cat, ill bring up that also they have no idea about. Though I heard black cat manga is more complete then the anime.  Could be also these never played in America, and you have to look them up. 

I’ve got some excel saga dvds floating about - very neat saga I love its unique hilarity. This series still has a decent sized fan base, judging from MAL.

My honorable mentions would be

Rokuhoudo Yotsuiro Biyori, Cyborg009, Gatekeepers 21, and Ceres Celestial Legend.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

ADV promoted the heck out of Excel Saga when it came out, and I remember they had to change Excel’s english VA partway through because she damaged her vocal cords doing her voice.

• Funny 1

@Serge heartless  I've watched Dual Parallel Trouble (and my best friend has too) and Vandread is kind of a cult classic anime for most people, so even those who have never seen it have usually heard of it.  @Ohiotaku most of yours are pretty unknown to me except for Rune Soldier.

@Seshi  Cyborg009 was pretty awesome, wasn't it?  And Ceres...oh the English dub was sooo very bad!  >_> 

Some of my own rarer pieces in my collection would be...  Kikaider (what grand tragic melodrama...melodrama done right!), Arjuna, Dirty Pair, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space (actually, probably 50% or more of my Space Opera collection), Brighter than the Dawning Blue, and Okamikakushi just to name a few.  I feel like there's a chance some people in the US might have heard of Kikaider once upon a time...thinking the rest are pretty much heard of only if you are a genre fan and went digging.

• Like 1

Just now, Beocat said:

@Serge heartless  I've watched Dual Parallel Trouble (and my best friend has too) and Vandread is kind of a cult classic anime for most people, so even those who have never seen it have usually heard of it.  @Ohiotaku most of yours are pretty unknown to me except for Rune Soldier.

@Seshi  Cyborg009 was pretty awesome, wasn't it?  And Ceres...oh the English dub was sooo very bad!  >_> 

Some of my own rarer pieces in my collection would be...  Kikaider (what grand tragic melodrama...melodrama done right!), Arjuna, Dirty Pair, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space (actually, probably 50% or more of my Space Opera collection), Brighter than the Dawning Blue, and Okamikakushi just to name a few.  I feel like there's a chance some people in the US might have heard of Kikaider once upon a time...thinking the rest are pretty much heard of only if you are a genre fan and went digging.

Well some of the anime I mentioned a lot of people I hang with never heard of them. Its mostly cause they were not aired on cartoon networks toonami, or adult swim. Or don't watch crunchyroll, and some of the older anime now is becoming forgotten. Like even Baki the grappler, the guyver, IRIA, and comic party. 

• Like 1

I still plan to watch comic party soon other titles i can add are like sakura wars,zenki,steam detective,black blood brothers if any of guys seen it as well 

Edited by Kaga Koko

• 2 weeks later...

It’s fairly recent but there’s a series called Hakata Tonkatsu Ramens that I recommend to anyone who likes Durarara, Bacanno or Black Lagoon. A word of warning it is pretty violent and has a very dark sense of humor.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Drifters, other anime that people just forgot about or just didn't hear about it. Im not even sure if they are going to do a season 2. Though the animation is really good. And I like the story of having a bunch of different heroes from different times joining together. Kind of like Fate/Zero and fate/stay night

the twelve kingdom, seems like no one talks about this anime, its pretty under rated also. It reminds me of escaflowne or inuyasha, were a high school girl go's to a fantasy world. 

tower of druaga-other anime that no one else really talks about, fantasy/action with comedy. Its not the best anime ever, though its fun to watch. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2019 at 12:17 AM, Serge heartless said:

Drifters, other anime that people just forgot about or just didn't hear about it. Im not even sure if they are going to do a season 2. Though the animation is really good. And I like the story of having a bunch of different heroes from different times joining together. Kind of like Fate/Zero and fate/stay night

the twelve kingdom, seems like no one talks about this anime, its pretty under rated also. It reminds me of escaflowne or inuyasha, were a high school girl go's to a fantasy world. 

tower of druaga-other anime that no one else really talks about, fantasy/action with comedy. Its not the best anime ever, though its fun to watch. 

I know this thread is kinda old plus I joined just now. But one of the reasons for joining was that I am hoping that I'll find some people to talk about some rather unknown animes like drifters. I have some friends that are watching a lot of animes but literally no one ever heard of drifters. I am currently painting a big Toyohisa on the wall of my bed room since I am a huge fan and I think this anime is so so underrated. Also! They started an OVA and it looks like this will be the 2nd season. There have been Release 3 episodes so far. Anyone who already watched it?