What anime was the biggest let down for you?

Seshi

Of the mounds of anime you’ve already seen, and with mounds more that are out there waiting to be put on your watch list, it’s important to get a good idea of what anime will be worth your time.

Keeping in mind that everyone’s opinions will vary, please share a story of that time you were let down by an anime.

Was it one that was overhyped, so you figured you’d pick it up, only to get your hopes crushed by its dim reality? Yea, me too. But that’s okay - let’s share with others so that they know what they might be getting into.

14 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

.hack//LOTB.  Hands down.

I remember getting hyped on the idea that we were going to get a quasi-Kite/BlackRose story.  I was totally sold after the original games.  It wasn't the chibi stuff that annoyed me, rather it was the fact that all of the characters seemed to be whiny little twits.  It really just seemed like they mailed in the whole story and took two iconic characters and turned them into a Saturday Morning kids cartoon, and I never really got over that.

This messes me up so much too when that happens- that’s why I can’t even finish Fairy Tale. As much as I love the world and the concept- I just can’t stand those hyper, overreacting characters. It’s got a huge fan base, so lots of love from people who no doubt also enjoy easygoing comedic anime’s , but it just was not for me.

And .Hack did look beautiful, I never got into it though.

• Like 1

Just now, The History Kid said:

I'm glad you mentioned that.  Fairy Tale was on my list.  I'll maybe adjust it to the bottom or remove it then.  The cry-baby-pee-pants characters really do nothing but irritate me.

I don’t think I’d classify it as that bad. The characters are just obnoxious is all.

It also reminds me of One Piece a bit. Did you like that one?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

darling in the franxx, the ending makes me never want to watch it again. It was fine, though I just hate the ending. 

This might have to be a “rewrite the ending” fanfic comp topic then.

I think also akira toriyama was running out of ideas for GT. And people have already seen kid goku in dragon ball, and dragon ball is a lot better. And I completely forgot about the new berserk anime, which is also just really bad. Nothing but terrible animation, and a lot of pots and pans clanging.  

I second the call out on Fairy Tale and One Piece.  I thought One Piece was just weird and silly and Fairy Tail I watched the first season of (after hearing from my best friend how awesome it was) and decided that it was really cliché and full of over the top characters.  For that matter, add in 7 Deadly Sins (which had too many main over the top characters to really appeal to me) which was disappointing at best, and revolting at worst.  I also (probably going to get some hate for this one) did not really enjoy FMA Brotherhood (wish I had) and so after the first season I gave away my copy to my best friend (and apparently, those copies are worth a lot of money, so I saved her a lot but could've probably traded it in for some rare Space Opera anime I'm always trying to track down). 

• Like 3

I'd have to say FMA:B and the Berserk show ... ***Some spoilers for both shows bellow***

FMA:B:

Before watching FMA:B I'd had a lot of people hype it up and classify it as the best anime ever. However, upon actually watching the show for myself, I found it a bit boring and semi-uninteresting when it came to some of the main characters.

In my opinion Roy and Riza were an absolutely powerful duo with so much rich history and underlying charisma that I could have watched an entire show about them, but instead ended up with little backstory on either of them.
I also had a fondness for Scar and found him to be one of the most interesting characters in the entire show, what with him struggling with his past, his morals and his outlook on life throughout the series. He was just such a genuinely intriguing character in my opinion and, again, I felt like I just didn't get to see enough of him.
I also found the 7 Sins very interesting but felt like more than half of them were very underdeveloped. So, out of the seven I would have to say Envy, Wrath and Pride were favourites although I still got that "uneasy" feeling, as if they too weren't as developed as I would have liked them to be ... maybe that's just me though.

Alphonse was by far my favourite main character though and the only main character I actually, genuinely cared about. However, again, I still felt like he was drastically underdeveloped and this made me a bit upset because I absolutely adores his character and he felt very real to me, in a way that most of the characters in the show did not. 

Now, Edward Elric was a character I willed myself to like but just couldn't ... I don't know if it was because he got quite annoying after a while of the same "I'm not short!" lines, or if it was because he didn't make me feel for him the same way Alphonse did, or because he got the most time and still didn't interest me as much as even the side characters but whatever it was I just couldn't bring myself to really like his character. He often got on my nerves with his over-the-top and extremely loud personality which seemed to just take front and center every time he was on screen ... I can't say I hate his character though since he did have some very interesting aspects to him, I just can't  say I love him either.

Winry was a cute character but that was about it ... I was quite disappointed with how they used her character (only bringing her in whenever it would help Edward) and the "relationship" between her and Edward. In my opinion their relationship felt forced and a bit unnatural, as if it were simply thrown into the show for convenience and the fact that it would further Edward's character a bit and be a means to include a female character more. 

All in all FMA:B is not a bad show at all, it is very interesting and has a unique and creative plot that did keep my interest. However, I felt that too many of the side characters were left underdeveloped and the main characters (other than Alphonse) did little to pique my interest further than a half-hearted curiosity that soon died out after a few episodes. The only reason this show let me down was because it had been so hyped up before I watched it that I expected it to be at least almost perfect in every regard but it wasn't quite there, if not for all the hype I probably would not have been so "let down" by my expectations were pretty high for that one ...

Berserk (show) :

I watched all the Berserk movies and absolutely loved them.  Every movie had beautiful art and all the characters were amazing, three dimensional and extremely interesting. There isn't anything bad I could really say about the Berserk movies but the show on the other hand ... my, my was it terrible.

Upon just starting the show I was extremely let down by the diminished art style and clanky looking character models that left me with the inability to see any real emotion on the character's faces ... the characters themselves were also a huge let down with Guts becoming quite unbearably obnoxious and irritating what with his "humans are ants" mind set and his absolute disregard for others lives even though that was, apparently, what he hated Griffith for (I was also extremely unimpressed with the "berserker armor" that felt more like a convenient plot device to keep Guts alive more than anything else). Casca, who had been quite an interesting character in all three movies, was suddenly a mindless character with no other purpose than to further ... "fan service" (???) in the show and that was a huge let down. Also, I know he may not have had a big role in the movies but Rickert was one of my favourite characters and I was personally let down when he was basically scrapped due to the fact that they brought in Isidro, an extremely annoying and somewhat pointless character who did little to nothing to further the plot. 

The few good things about the show though were some of the new characters such as Farnese and Serpico who I found extremely interesting, as well as Schierke who was a cute character with a lot of potential. Other than that though I'm not sure what else I can say was good ... the story felt oddly paced, most of the characters were badly written, the art was terrible, the whole thing was just a mess and a huge let down especially since I loved the original movies so much ...

Edited by ItsSammy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I didn't really enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei. It had been introduced to me as a grounded, warm take on a teen romance, but the only thing I can remember about it was the melodrama of two pseudo-love triangles. This anime kind of made me give up on romance anime (I still enjoy romance manga, though) and made me realize that "reddit taste" was a real thing. 

I just wish that romances didn't depend upon love triangles and misunderstandings to give itself "depth". Maybe this kind of things is relatable to other people, I just find it annoying unless it's presented as a joke. I much prefer romantic comedies like the Kase-san series (where the main character feels inept for her partner, but they continue to support each other despite their different lifestyles) or Yandere Kanojo.

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Agree 1

@Kinbaryu yeah, that is why I really prefer mature romances featuring adults. Even lite romance with adults typically is better. For instance, in Moribito, Balsa and Tanda would be a great couple and their feelings are fairly clear but the only thing really standing in their way is her determination to fulfill her oath first. Though the romance was more background and side story to the main plot, it vastly affected their relationships and the story and in my opinion enriched the story in a unique way. Don't give up entirely on the genre...just be more picky and do more research first. ;)

• Like 1

@Beocat I haven't heard of Moribito, but you did pique my interest. Typically, I do prefer series where the relationships or feelings are established early on into the story, (like both Kase-san and Yandere Kanojo). I think being picky is a good idea though, since a lot of the times I just watch what is popular to get an understanding of a community.

Edited by Kinbaryu