What's the weather like where you are?

VampireKnight19

We have blizzard warnings of all things here in sunny(?) SoCal.  I’m in the foothills near the Angeles Crest  Forest and the San Bernardino mountains and it has snowed up there more recently but the last time I saw real snow at my actual house here was way back in the 80s.  It didn’t stick around long back then.  We’ll see how it goes this time.  Blizzard warnings are even being issued for parts of San Diego south of me.

Fortunately I have the option of working from home tomorrow and the weather is supposed to improve enough by Monday to raise the snow level above my location so maybe the commute to work next week won’t be total chaos.  People around here can barely handle rain.  I shudder to think what would happen in snowy/icy conditions!

5 hours ago, efaardvark said:

People around here can barely handle rain.  I shudder to think what would happen in snowy/icy conditions!

Sounds like parts of our railway network,  back in 2010 most of Southern England's rail network was totally shut down due to a few inches of snow. The pic shows the totally blank departure board at London Victoria, usually one of London's busiest stations at that time of the morning.

no-trains.jpg.d43e44cde185e42c56e2a53caa2b16a6.jpg

Just a lot of rain and some wind so far today but NOAA says there's a flood watch, flash flood warning, wind advisory, and even a blizzard warning in effect until tomorrow afternoon.

6 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Just a lot of rain and some wind so far today but NOAA says there's a flood watch, flash flood warning, wind advisory, and even a blizzard warning in effect until tomorrow afternoon.

I seen reports that you're getting weird weather on your side of the pond.

Over here is bright but cloudy, dry but still cold.

10 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I seen reports that you're getting weird weather on your side of the pond.

Over here is bright but cloudy, dry but still cold.

You could say that.  Snow in Northern California is one thing but blizzards in Los Angeles - in the middle of a drought no less - are definitely not normal.  Down here in SoCal we like to keep our snow in the mountains where we can admire it from afar and say things like, “let’s go snowboarding this weekend!”  🌨️🏔️🏂 🙆‍♂️  When it comes down into town and starts affecting the commute something is definitely wrong.  🌨️🏙️🙅‍♂️

All that said, I haven’t seen any actual snow in my immediate vicinity, at least not yet.  The freeways are flooded near downtown L.A. and the freeways are also closed at some of the nearby mountain passes with up to several feet of snow and ice but here at the house we just got a bit of hail - one of my eastern-born neighbors called it "graupel" - yesterday and a LOT of wind and rain overnight.  38F and still raining on my patio this morning, and it is supposed to get even colder this afternoon and into tonight.  Likely even thunderstorms and more hail as the next front moves through.  We’ll see.  NOAA still has a blizzard warning and a flood watch active for my neighborhood until this evening.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Wow 1

39 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

You could say that.  Snow in Northern California is one thing but blizzards in Los Angeles - in the middle of a drought no less - are definitely not normal.  Down here in SoCal we like to keep our snow in the mountains where we can admire it from afar and say things like, “let’s go snowboarding this weekend!”  🌨️🏔️🏂 🙆‍♂️  When it comes down into town and starts affecting the commute something is definitely wrong.  🌨️🏙️🙅‍♂️

All that said, I haven’t seen any actual snow in my immediate vicinity, at least not yet.  The freeways are flooded near downtown L.A. and the freeways are also closed at some of the nearby mountain passes with up to several feet of snow and ice but here at the house we just got a bit of hail - one of my eastern-born neighbors called it "graupel" - yesterday and a LOT of wind and rain overnight.  38F and still raining on my patio this morning, and it is supposed to get even colder this afternoon and into tonight.  Likely even thunderstorms and more hail as the next front moves through.  We’ll see.  NOAA still has a blizzard warning and a flood watch active for my neighborhood until this evening.

Now that really is wild weather.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Whoa! That's some serious advisories. I hope you'll be ok.

Side note, it's pretty chilly where my home is. Even inside. I need to put my jacket back on. lol

Well that was fun.  Besides everything else going on around town we got about three inches of snow at the house this afternoon.  It was coming down pretty hard for a couple hours but seems to have stopped now going into the evening hours.  Surprisingly enough (for SoCal) it is taking its time to melt.  Not really cold enough for it to stay frozen but also too cold for it to melt very quickly.  Might even be patches of it still lurking around here and there tomorrow morning.  For now it is just a kind of slushy, slippery mess that's hazardous to walk (or drive) on.

IMG_2192b.thumb.jpg.90d7281a66fc96585d044a616edf6d23.jpg

Our temps are still see-sawing back and forth between warm and cold. It gets up into the mid-to-high 60s/low 70s for one beautiful day, and then the wind gets very gusty for another day, brings in cloud cover, then it rains for the next few days and the temps drop back down to the high 30s/low 40s. 😵

I think this is what Robin Williams referred to as "weather by Sybil." The meteorologists are all like, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL'S GOING ON!!! -spins the wheel- LET'S JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS!" 😅

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

you're not exporting your cold weather are you?

Nope, we’ve still got our 35F degrees here.  Dropped below that overnight.

Sunny this morning.. maybe it’ll warm up a bit today.

Rain gauge overflowed - and I’m not sure it accounts for snow and hail - but we got at least 10 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, efaardvark said:
Spoiler

IMG_2192b.thumb.jpg.90d7281a66fc96585d044a616edf6d23.jpg

I just realized.. doesn't my car look kinda pissed in that pic? Sort of, "Oi!  Very funny. WTF is this stuff? Get it off me already!"

It's a California car.  Never even seen snow before yesterday.  🤣

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, animechat said:

outside was beautiful  and sunny day

Same here after some light snowing. We didn't even get an inch though, so that was disappointing. Not like we can make snow angels unless we want cactus sticking into us, but I just like when it snows.

• Like 1