What's the weather like where you are?

VampireKnight19

Sunny and 70°F (about 21°C) even though just last week is was 26°F (-3°C) and we experienced my first snowstorm of the season. It's at that time of the year that the weather cannot make up it's mind here...

• 2 weeks later...

Rain all day & temps getting close to 60F. EDIT: they’re saying we could actually have thunderstorms overnight. Apparently it’s the same system that caused tornados in Dallas last night.

And then they’re predicting we won’t get out of the 30s all next week.

Edited by Ohayotaku

Getting a bit of windy going here.  Just got a text from the power company, Southern California Edison, that they might have to shut down the power in our area.  

(Ever since the court case holding PG&E liable for damages stemming from unmaintained electrical equipment the power companies have been “preemptively” shutting off power whenever there’s a wind/fire danger.  Guess that’s cheaper than actually maintaining their equipment.  Didn’t used to be that way but the state’s PUC is worthless when it comes to actually requiring the utilities to do anything they don’t want to do.)

On 11/26/2020 at 9:23 AM, efaardvark said:

Getting a bit of windy going here.  Just got a text from the power company, Southern California Edison, that they might have to shut down the power in our area. 

Same here. I had this happen to me the last two years I've been in NorCal, and I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad down in SoCal as well. Guess this is going to be something us California people are going to have to keep dealing with moving forward :(

6 minutes ago, kamomesan said:

Same here. I had this happen to me the last two years I've been in NorCal, and I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad down in SoCal as well. Guess this is going to be something us California people are going to have to keep dealing with moving forward :(

There are options.  I'm currently* looking at upgrading and expanding a smallish (4kW w/10kWh storage) solar PV system that we installed about 20 years ago.    Amortized over 30 years like the power companies do the system cost us around $0.17 per kWh but it has already paid for itself at the insane rates SCE charges.  When we built our system the technology was just starting to be usable for normal residential service if you didn't mind doing all the engineering yourself and could convince the power companies to let you do the net-metering thing with a grid-interactive system.  Now prices have come way, way down and equipment is much more capable, with things like microinverters, Tesla PowerWalls, etc.  Much more mainstream too.  There's companies who will provide installation and service for PV systems the way other companies do for HVAC systems.  For the same $0.17/kWh I could build a system at least 3x as capable today as the one we built back then too.  At SCE's $0.42/kWh top-tier rate I don't need SCE anymore.  SCE is pricing themselves out of the market.

*no pun intended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rather cool, rain, hail, and a fairly good thunder and lightning show at the moment. I was trying to sleep but with all the racket I decided a midnight snack and watching the show out my window was the more interesting option.

E11D0BAD-7EA2-477E-A0EC-8AF330DD0F4D.thumb.jpeg.e91c0f8d5e27c3ed24a145409dfc06b4.jpeg

This is not daylight....

CECAC266-803A-4BA1-9F35-EC30DA37544B.thumb.png.c086fe9ba965dd10db40ae24a473500c.png

Edited by efaardvark
  • Wow 1

• 2 months later...

Temps in the 70s & sunny today. They say we won’t even get out of the 30s & windy on Thursday (I know it’s April Fools Day, but not appreciating Mother Nature’s sense of humor)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Waking up to near freezing though it’s supposed to make it to 70 today & 80 tomorrow.

Edited by Ohayotaku