Animes that looks like are for adults but instead are for kids or teens?

Shorty1243

Hunter X hunter comes to mind. It starts off kind of light hearted, then gets pretty dark. Since Gon is just happy go lucky, and his friend is also a kid. Then all of a sudden people start getting killed, and someones heart gets ripped out.  Then when you think it can't get any darker, the chimera ant ark happens. 

old school dragon ball is pretty adult, if you think about all the sexual jokes they add. And had to edit Bulma nude in some parts. 

A lot of animes that came to America and other countries have been really been edited hard over the years, like even Voltron, which had cussing and blood. And DBZ. 

Edited by Serge heartless

I think most slice of life anime.

Since they're slice of life, they start out looking like for adults. Set in the real world with boring everyday activities.

And most of them can be child-friendly. But not all of them.

I can see a child watching Bunny Drop for instance.

Another one would be Hajime Ippo. It does seem for adults from the start because it's about boxing. 

But you realize it's shounen eventually. And a kid would enjoy watching it.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:23 PM, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

I think most slice of life anime.

Since they're slice of life, they start out looking like for adults. Set in the real world with boring everyday activities.

And most of them can be child-friendly. But not all of them.

I can see a child watching Bunny Drop for instance.

Another one would be Hajime Ippo. It does seem for adults from the start because it's about boxing. 

But you realize it's shounen eventually. And a kid would enjoy watching it.

I kind of disagree. To me slice of life is kind of like drama, its not for everyone. Im in my 30s and I don't even like slice of life, since mostly I just don't like drama or romance. Its just kind of you have to like to watch people doing really nothing but talking for half an hour.   

It's a French Animation, but Code Lyoko immediately comes to mind. The story seems bright, heroic, and fast paced on the surface but the things that happened to Aelita were actually quite dark, and throughout the series you even see her having nightmares of her past (likely PTSD from happened to her). Very dark but one of my favorite French series (I actually have quite a few French series that I like).

I think I'll add some Mainframe titles to this list. Shadow Raiders (aka War Planets), is an old Mainframe series where the Fire Planet was destroyed to save the rest (and its people displaced) but it seems very kid friendly at first. Then you had Reboot which seemed really happy go lucky until Bob got ejected into the web and Enzo became Matrix.  

As far as Japanese animation goes...I kind of expect it to be a little dirty so none of the titles come to mind. Is that bad of me? Even UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie with the main guy having  to kiss a little girl to turn her into a woman every episode was something that I kind of realize is going to happen with Japanese stories no matter what. The focus is oftentimes very sexual in anime which makes me think a lot of someones aren't getting enough at home..in my opinion anyways.

Most of the posts here have been recommending the opposite of what OP was looking for, for some reason. It was supposed to be for anime that looked like it was for adults, but was actually for kids.

Uh.. I don’t know of any anime that looks like it’s for adults... Most of them have elements that would make teens enjoy it. Action, fantasy, high energy characters, and other uniquely anime characteristics that I believe are geared towards younger people. 

This is just my opinion.. I immensely enjoy anime and I’m an adult, but I do feel like it is geared towards a younger demographic, and I am okay with that. I watch a lot of Disney, and family friendly movies and enjoy them too. 

The darker genres of anime still have young characters, so even though some anime have more grown up plots, they still look like their intended audience would be teens. Again, this is just how I view things. It’s a neat topic really. I view video games and anime to be more of a thing for teens and kids, but I enjoy it too. What does that say about me? 😜

Anything is for children if the parents are negligent enough~

Jokes aside, I only really think of an anime as adult oriented if it has extreme over-the-top violence, drug use, "bad" language (I don't really consider bad language a thing, but that's neither here nor there~), and sexual themes, or if it is just a straight up hentai. So I personally I can't say I have found a show like that, or with cover art and a title overtly pointing to its adult themes, and have it turn out aimed at kids.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

Anything is for children if the parents are negligent enough~

Jokes aside, I only really think of an anime as adult oriented if it has extreme over-the-top violence, drug use, "bad" language (I don't really consider bad language a thing, but that's neither here nor there~), and sexual themes, or if it is just a straight up hentai. So I personally I can't say I have found a show like that, or with cover art and a title overtly pointing to its adult themes, and have it turn out aimed at kids.

there are some animes for kids, but they are really kid shows like hamtaro. Then again dragon ball and dragon ball z were kid shows in Japan, but had to be completely edited for other countries 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, Serge heartless said:

I kind of disagree. To me slice of life is kind of like drama, its not for everyone. Im in my 30s and I don't even like slice of life, since mostly I just don't like drama or romance. Its just kind of you have to like to watch people doing really nothing but talking for half an hour.   

Well yeah that's why I said slice-of-life anime are usually for adults. When a kid looks at it, they say it's boring because there's no action or superpowers or fighting.

But yeah there can be a 35 year old anime fan who hates slice of life. And there can be a 15 year old anime fan who loves slice of life.

And I agree with @Seshi and @Wedgy that the OP was asking for anime that seemed to be for adults but is better suited for kids. Which is rare.

Other than slice of life. Which is still a stretch as most kids will pass on them.

4 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

And I agree with @Seshi and @Wedgy that the OP was asking for anime that seemed to be for adults but is better suited for kids. Which is rare.

It's not exactly rare, but way things are classified in general lends this to being a hard question to grasp. Everything is for kids...until it is not. That is how most countries rating systems look at things and that is how people look at it. We exclude things from a children's show (gore, excessive violence, sexual themes for instance), which might make them adult only, but never do we exclude things from an adult show, because there is no need. Therefore saying something is not suited for adults but is for kids really doesn't make sense unless you have some particular qualifying reason and I for one cannot think of any. 

• Agree 1