Preorder Fever!

Beocat

Who else has Preorder Fever? Anyone else anxiously anticipating the release of a longtime favorite anime?  Which preorders do you already have set for delivery, or are you more of a 'wait till the sale' kind of person? Post below and let us know!

I was waiting for Star Blazers on preorder back before it released but then talked myself out of it in favor of waiting for a complete collection release (not sure how much longer I can hold out on this one...might just buy it....it taunts me everytime I go shopping). That said, now I've got Cyborg009 on preorder (this is remastered, uncut, all the episodes in one collection...never been released in the States like this before. I know, because I have the two DVDs they did release) and am so excited to get to finally see it completely uncut. Definitely not backing out on this one!

I'm also preordering Code:Realize Guardian of Rebirth for my collection. :) Just a few preorders so far this year. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I usually wait a long time before I buy a set, that’s because I like to get the complete collection.

That Cyborg009 release sounds like something worth owning for sure. I also only get my favorite series’ to own. I have been known to buy impulsively from Anime cons however 🤣

Now a days I just wait until it’s Christmas, and put one on my wish list.

• Like 2

I can probably say that I have preorder fever.

Sadly, much of the things I would like to preorder cannot be because of how annoying distributors/publishers can be, so some of the things I can only preorder a few days in advance, even though places like Amazon allow me the chance to preorder even further in advance.

• Like 1

I used to preorder all the time, but I’m much more selective about what I buy now and usually wait until I find a good price. There are exceptions though. I think the only 2 titles I currently have on preorder are the 2nd halves of My Hero Academia season 3 & Star Blazers 2202.

There are actually a couple titles I would preorder in a heartbeat, but the licensor hasn’t scheduled a physical release (off the top of my head: Konosuba seasons 1 & 2, Yuru Camp and A Place Further than the Universe). For something older, a complete collection of Monster

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

@Ohiotaku I completely understand. I used to preorder video games regularly and pick up on release day (The Tales of series, Rogue Galaxy, and more) especially for limited editions, but I have since pulled back from that. My anime preorders have always been targeting an anime, usually older in nature that either didn't have release I can track down from back in the day (Cybersix, Cardcaptor series, Reboot), or an anime I completely fell head over heels for (Tenchi series and Log Horizon for example). I suppose I can't write them off as easily as a video game. I still sometimes talk myself out of it. =/

49 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I don't know enough about the stuff getting released these days to feel comfortable in pre-ordering.  

That’s the great thing about streaming series as they air, you know which ones you really enjoy before you buy. Though you still need to invest the time to check them out. Some people don’t feel the need to actually own a physical copy, but you never know when a company could lose the rights to a series or simply decide to take it down to make room for something else. Likewise, I don’t have a lot of time to rewatch series, but you don’t know what the future of the industry is. Plus it’s a way to support the type of series you enjoy.

• Agree 3

I don't pre-order anime, games, or pretty much anything else.  Been burned too many times.  Companies that offer that sort of deal often seem to care even less about those fans that take them up on the offer than they do about the ones that buy later as regular retail customers.  The pre-order culture in the software/gaming world is especially toxic.  I don't want to be either a supporter or a victim of that sort of behavior.

• Like 1

I don't preorder too often, especially not with games. Mostly CDs, and sometimes a figure I really like.
The most recent preorders I received were physical releases of gs's "Rituals" and Mesarthim's "Ghost Condensate" albums. Both were available on bandcamp already, and by artists I love.
Being able to watch / listen something beforehand has made it easier to decide whether I preorder something or not, as Ohiotaku said.
I have two preorders open right now, the Atelier Rorona Nendoroid, and a Maple figure, from Nekopara.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, Ohiotaku said:

A Place Further than the Universe

This is something I'm awaiting as well. That show, and maybe an EU release of Urara Meirochou, are the only two titles so far where I wouldn't hesitate about preordering them.

Edited by dirudiru

I just preordered 4 AoT nendoroid figures and 2 "your name" nendoroid figures for my collection.

I'm honestly just trying to catch up on anime I've missed out on that have already been released.  I have 104 items on my rightstuf wishlist!!!  Granted some of those are figures but most are bluray box sets I despirately want.

Also just bought a brand new bookshelf to display my collection so I'm extremely excited to upgrade the look of where my anime will call its home haha!

Seriously I've become obsessed!  I used to be a statue collector, but the way I see it, $1000 and I'll just about be caught up with my current anime wants.  That should just about be enough for my whole wishlist.  Whereas $1000 would be just enough for "1" Prime 1 statue.  So yeah, I don't collect statues anymore.  Now it's all about anime and the oddball small anime statue or figure.  And honestly, getting to watch my collection gives me more joy than just having a statue on the shelf!

Edited by Fireduck

@Fireduck  I totally get the new bookshelves.  A few years back, I experimented with a super cheap bookshelf that had sliding glass doors for my anime collection.  The construction was...of questionable stability (you get what you pay for) , but the fact that I've never had to dust my collection that was in those shelves since I got it is priceless.  Then a few years ago, I went all in.  Bought some high quality ones (like 800 dollars each) for downstairs (two of these taller cases with sliding glass doors replaced the 3.5 cheap bookshelves we had before and still have room for movie expansion and they take up much less room!), and another one for upstairs (to house my anime collection).  The plan was to eventually buy a few more for the rest of my anime collection and possibly convert my gaming collection over to it, but I've had to save up my money for other things in recent years (home repairs and whatnot), so I didn't get much further than that.  Still, it was totally worth it.  Dusting DVDs and blurays takes forever and my collection looks sharp with these dvd/bluray libraries.  I also used to collect the First 4 Figures statues.  I have a couple of well sought after Zelda statues among some others but I too have pulled back from those.  The last one I would have wanted would have been Midna's True form, but even if I had it, I have nowhere to put it beyond buying a Curio cabinet for displaying them all.  I still preorder statues, but most of them are Batman statues for my husband, and random gaming statues for me.  Since you have $1000 of anime to catch up on buying, I recommend checking out Sentai Filmwork's shop (they sale nonSentai DVDs too,).  I think right now (or recently) they had a DVD sale where DVD collections were knocked down to $5 and $8 a go and usually around the 4th of July (runs early July through middle/end of July if I'm not mistaken) they have a massive sale, similar to their Black Friday sales where most everything is 50-85% off.  If you have any titles that they carry on your "gotta track down" list, I highly recommend you wait for their upcoming sale and grab what you can.  In years past, I've managed to take home 18-24 collections/movies/items for only around $120 by shopping the sales (blurays are going to be more expensive in the sales, so a friend of mine has done even better than me by getting mostly DVDs during these sales).  Might get you to your collection goal a bit faster and with less money spent :) I know they ship in the US...not sure about other places.

• Like 1

I don't usually preorder stuff. I can wait for something to be released and don't need to have it right away. The other thing is that I usually wait for some kind of sale simply because it gets quite expensive if I wanted to buy everything at full price. If I ever have a well-paying job I might think about it though.

Another thing that I noticed in recent times is that some games are released in some kind of beta version and then patched online which I find quite annoying. Sometimes they release a debugged version quite a bit later. I'm too old school to get a half-baked game and needing patches that are close to the game size 😂

2 hours ago, Beocat said:

@Fireduck  I totally get the new bookshelves.  A few years back, I experimented with a super cheap bookshelf that had sliding glass doors for my anime collection.  The construction was...of questionable stability (you get what you pay for) , but the fact that I've never had to dust my collection that was in those shelves since I got it is priceless.  Then a few years ago, I went all in.  Bought some high quality ones (like 800 dollars each) for downstairs (two of these taller cases with sliding glass doors replaced the 3.5 cheap bookshelves we had before and still have room for movie expansion and they take up much less room!), and another one for upstairs (to house my anime collection).  The plan was to eventually buy a few more for the rest of my anime collection and possibly convert my gaming collection over to it, but I've had to save up my money for other things in recent years (home repairs and whatnot), so I didn't get much further than that.  Still, it was totally worth it.  Dusting DVDs and blurays takes forever and my collection looks sharp with these dvd/bluray libraries.  I also used to collect the First 4 Figures statues.  I have a couple of well sought after Zelda statues among some others but I too have pulled back from those.  The last one I would have wanted would have been Midna's True form, but even if I had it, I have nowhere to put it beyond buying a Curio cabinet for displaying them all.  I still preorder statues, but most of them are Batman statues for my husband, and random gaming statues for me.  Since you have $1000 of anime to catch up on buying, I recommend checking out Sentai Filmwork's shop (they sale nonSentai DVDs too,).  I think right now (or recently) they had a DVD sale where DVD collections were knocked down to $5 and $8 a go and usually around the 4th of July (runs early July through middle/end of July if I'm not mistaken) they have a massive sale, similar to their Black Friday sales where most everything is 50-85% off.  If you have any titles that they carry on your "gotta track down" list, I highly recommend you wait for their upcoming sale and grab what you can.  In years past, I've managed to take home 18-24 collections/movies/items for only around $120 by shopping the sales (blurays are going to be more expensive in the sales, so a friend of mine has done even better than me by getting mostly DVDs during these sales).  Might get you to your collection goal a bit faster and with less money spent :) I know they ship in the US...not sure about other places.

Thank you so so much beocat!  I'm really loving this community of people helping each other out!!!

Only problem I'd say is I'm obsessed with bluray's and not just that, but limited editions 😂   Seriously if I find out a release has a LE I tend to go for that purchase...!

But I think I'll definitely look into those sales and such to see my options.  Definitely doesn't hurt!

It might be nice to eventually get bookcases/media cases with doors.  But so far dusting hasn't been that big of an issue for me cause my collection is quite small.  If I were to eventually get ones with doors they'd of course have to be see-through so I could see the collection.  

Heres m my current set-up-

spacer.png

But I don't like the black background for my anime and the bookcase is super cheap.  The back part is paper and not real wood.

And this arrives literally tomorrow:

spacer.png

Its going to be my dedicated anime shelving.  I think it'll class up my display quite a bit.  What do you guys think?

• Like 1