Do you consider yourself a casual gamer or hardcore gamer?

Causal gamers for the most part seem to pick the games that are easy to learn, and easy to play. Like Minecraft, fortnite, cellphone games. Or do you think you are a hardcore gamer who can beat dark souls games, and other games that have challenge to them? 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve always been a casual gamer, though my preference is for RPGs, and fantasy based games. Final fantasy 8-12, Fable, Dragon Age, and a ton of random games from my youth, Legend of Dragoon, Kingdom H

Hmmm.. not sure what you would call me.  I don't often have a lot of time for games, though I do play them whenever life's priorities allow.  Would the fact that I don't like sadistic games like dark

Sekiro is a good game.   I'd agree with this. I don't play games professionally or for long extended periods of time (I think I would consider a hardcore gamer somewhere around 7-8 hours p

Posted Images

Hmmm.. not sure what you would call me.  I don't often have a lot of time for games, though I do play them whenever life's priorities allow.  Would the fact that I don't like sadistic games like dark souls ( :D ) put me in the "casual" gamer category, or would my 3yo permadeath survival minecraft game disqualify me for hardcore just because it is minecraft?  I did beat quake 4 on nightmare back in the day, and I can't even begin to say how many hours I have in my favorite game, Kerbal Space Program, including many, many hours programming/debugging kOS scripts to control my spacecraft.  In fact, I just upgraded to KSPv1.7 and installed the Breaking Ground expansion and all my favorite mods this week.  I hope to start a new "career" game this weekend.  Hard mode of course, with plasma blackouts, pressure limits, and g-force limits enabled, and with comms range, resources, science, funds, and reputation gains all nerfed by 50%.

Do with all that as you will.

image.thumb.png.3542313785118ab011e1fbf604df6675.png

• Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1
29 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Hmmm.. not sure what you would call me.  I don't often have a lot of time for games, though I do play them whenever life's priorities allow.  Would the fact that I don't like sadistic games like dark souls ( :D ) put me in the "casual" gamer category, or would my 3yo permadeath survival minecraft game disqualify me for hardcore just because it is minecraft?  I did beat quake 4 on nightmare back in the day, and I can't even begin to say how many hours I have in my favorite game, Kerbal Space Program, including many, many hours programming/debugging kOS scripts to control my spacecraft.  In fact, I just upgraded to KSPv1.7 and installed the Breaking Ground expansion and all my favorite mods this week.  I hope to start a new "career" game this weekend.  Hard mode of course, with plasma blackouts, pressure limits, and g-force limits enabled, and with comms range, resources, science, funds, and reputation gains all nerfed by 50%.

Do with all that as you will.

image.thumb.png.3542313785118ab011e1fbf604df6675.png

I mean casual games are pretty easy to learn, and just about anyone can play them.   Now compare that to something like mega man games, or castlevaina, which you have to have really good timing, and a lot of skill to beat these games.  Just image someone who only plays Minecraft or lego games, and see how far they can make it in dark souls or ninja gaiden

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1

I used to be a hardcore gamer having 1600 hours on csgo played with teams in leagues. I Don't like casual games at all, I Don't play a lot any more but from time to time I play some rocket league which is also a very competitive game

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

Causal gamers for the most part seem to pick the games that are easy to learn, and easy to play. Like Minecraft, fortnite, cellphone games. Or do you think you are a hardcore gamer who can beat dark souls games, and other games that have challenge to them? 

pretty much, im a hard core gamer in heart and soul, i only play games in hard-mode (excluding eroges, couse i play them for the plot coughcoughcough)

though i must say, i play CP (cellphone) games, and i find them to be hard (grind/bad rolls) and hard games (using your example; dark souls) to be easy, i beat all DS series, no probs, but i also cant kill a child on fortnight

just wanted everyone to know

i am a bad shot ^_^

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

That really depends who your asking. I take great interest in games almost as much as anime so by that logic I  am a hardcore gamer. Though I enjoy watching games on YouTube as much as I do playing them. Not to mention I favor RPGs, and VNs more then anything else at least in terms of modern titles, So I would say If I were rating myself pearly on interest/habit I am hardcore gamer. Though I do not play video games for 12 hours a day just because.

• Like 2

Here's my time on Rainbow Six Siege.

Spoiler

image.png.082ba52e35284f0766283d539973fd06.png

Here's my time on League of Legends.

Spoiler

image.png.53c6e6c4756effd62a489793537f74f7.png

Please don't play either of these games.

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Funny 2
22 minutes ago, Kinbaryu said:

Here's my time on Rainbow Six Siege.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.082ba52e35284f0766283d539973fd06.png

Here's my time on League of Legends.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.53c6e6c4756effd62a489793537f74f7.png

Please don't play either of these games.

Let me add something to the List

Untitled-1.jpg.f6387767e5bf73ce47b684f4b6d11bfb.jpg

Here my 2nd Account:

Untitled-2.jpg.6c30093abc2fba9157499936a221db3d.jpg

If I count hours from all my 4 accounts I have about 2.2k Hours on Black Ops soo.. Don't play that either!

And before I forget I have clicked circles (osu!) for over 300 hours... Do NOT click circles! It's a waste of time!

Untitled-3.jpg.7735f498e4a23141ef8bf5554b79e2b8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I simply don't agree with your definitions. To me, a casual gamer is a gamer who isn't invested in gaming. You know, the type who play games at a friend's house but would never consider buying a console or a game to play at home (usually the type that view and call gaming as a waste of time, hence a with-friends only activity). Hardcore gamers to me are seriously investing gaming or "their game" (be that minecraft with people who create replica of worlds or whatever). Sure I have over 500 games, and I've completed a lot of them, have a couple of platinum trophies to boot, but I don't think that less well versed gamers are not hardcore.  Perhaps on a different branch of the gaming tree, but not casual. I probably was on the collectors branch a long time ago and now am on the weekend gamer branch due to lack of time.

@Seshi PM me. Most of the games you named I loved too. We need to chat ^_^

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah not gonna lie, I can't say I agree with your definitions either. I consider myself a casual gamer, and I love Dark Souls and pretty much all Souls like games I have come across, and have no problem playing them. I just don't take videogames seriously, seems like that would kill the fun to me~

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

Now compare that to something like mega man games, or castlevaina, which you have to have really good timing, and a lot of skill to beat these games.  Just image someone who only plays Minecraft or lego games, and see how far they can make it in dark souls or ninja gaiden 

I don't think only twitch games a hardcore gamer make.  There are 1000s of youtube videos of minecraft contraptions that have been designed and built by people who could only be described as hardcore gamers.  Just a different sort of "hardcore" than your typical twitch gamer. 

I also know people who have spent hundreds of hours in KSP who still can't get the hang of rendezvous and docking.  For most just reaching orbit is an extremely satisfying achievement.  There's an early contract in the career game that's basically an Apollo-style mission.  It requires taking off from Kerbin, rendezvous with and landing - intact - on the Mün, obtaining surface science, getting back into space, plotting a course back to Kerbin, reentry, and safely landing back on the surface of Kerbin to deliver the science.  Even with the tutorials, some people play for days or weeks before completing that contract.  Some people even decide to stick with "sandbox" because of it.  :D 

Point being that it isn't so much that the game requires good hand-eye coordination or reaction times though.  You do have to fly your vehicles manually, especially in the early game, but it actually isn't that hard.  The skill set is more planning and executing the mission... designing and building your ship, setting up the launch and the various trajectory correction maneuvers, etc.  Noobs will typically have to try many, many times before they get it right, just like clearing levels in many third- or first-person shooters.  That doesn't make it any less hard-core for the people that manage to complete the contract, IMHO.

• Agree 2
Just now, efaardvark said:

I don't think only twitch games a hardcore gamer make.  There are 1000s of youtube videos of minecraft contraptions that have been designed and built by people who could only be described as hardcore gamers.  Just a different sort of "hardcore" than your typical twitch gamer. 

I also know people who have spent hundreds of hours in KSP who still can't get the hang of rendezvous and docking.  For most just reaching orbit is an extremely satisfying achievement.  There's an early contract in the career game that's basically an Apollo-style mission.  It requires taking off from Kerbin, rendezvous with and landing - intact - on the Mün, obtaining surface science, getting back into space, plotting a course back to Kerbin, reentry, and safely landing back on the surface of Kerbin to deliver the science.  Even with the tutorials, some people play for days or weeks before completing that contract.  Some people even decide to stick with "sandbox" because of it.  :D 

Point being that it isn't so much that the game requires good hand-eye coordination or reaction times though.  You do have to fly your vehicles manually, especially in the early game, but it actually isn't that hard.  The skill set is more planning and executing the mission... designing and building your ship, setting up the launch and the various trajectory correction maneuvers, etc.  Noobs will typically have to try many, many times before they get it right, just like clearing levels in many third- or first-person shooters.  That doesn't make it any less hard-core for the people that manage to complete the contract, IMHO.

There hardcore gamers on twitch, mostly speed runners. Who speed run games like dark souls, megaman games, or ninja gaiden. I don't really consider Minecraft a hardcore game, since anyone can play it and learn it pretty fast.   Of course difficulty can be subjective, but just making something isn't as difficult as trying to kill a boss that can kill you in 1 hit.  Its just me but I don't making stuff, makes you a hardcore gamer.  No one can really argue that super ghouls and ghost and battle toads is a 100 times harder then Minecraft, or making things. 

10 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

No one can really argue that super ghouls and ghost and battle toads is a 100 times harder then Minecraft, or making things

Apples and oranges.  Which tastes better?  Entirely subjective.

• Like 1

@Serge heartless I once made an old pirates of the Caribbean style sailing ship in Minecraft. Worked for weeks on the thing. Crowed about my accomplishment to my friends once I was done (did it in survival mode), complete with a working lighthouse in my port made from netherbrick and sandstone....  then looked up other people's ships online and felt very humbled (mine still looked good but theirs was so much more and then some!). Believe me, the thought, planning, effort, and hours that go into it is intense. I'll never look down on the Minecrafters out there. There are some talented folks out there.

41 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I don't think only twitch games a hardcore gamer make.

Hard agree here. People who play twitch games aren't necessarily hardcore gamers, and hardcore gamers aren't only playing twitch games.

Admittedly, I have spent a lot of time (shown earlier) on competitive games like Rainbow Six Siege, League of Legends, Skullgirls, and Apex Legends. If you count the time I've spent outside of game researching movement, mechanics, macro-thinking, reactive vs proactive scenarios, team combinations, technical countering, character strengths/weaknesses, individual matchups, team matchups, etc. that's easily over four thousands hours wasted.

But I actually enjoy games like Borderlands, Dying Light, Payday 2, Monster Hunter: World, and even Pokemon much more. I like it when a game has story, and when you yourself make up your own little story within the game's rules. When I played Borderlands and MHW, I liked to imagine my character had their own backstory and motivations. When I play Pokemon, I pretend each of my Pokemon had their own personality.

Does this make me a casual gamer? I'm more than willing to bet that I am better than most people at Siege, League, Skullgirls, and Apex, but I enjoy "casual" games more.

I dunno.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Kinbaryu said:

When I played Borderlands and MHW, I liked to imagine my character had their own backstory and motivations. When I play Pokemon, I pretend each of my Pokemon had their own personality.

I guess I have a confession to make, then. While playing MHW for the first time, I kept having this silly fantasy where I was just this bard on hard times trying to find an audience, but keep running into these giant beasts instead. Getting roped into following this hunting party around hoping someone will give me a chance to just play a song for once. Hard out here for a HH, I tell ya. 

• Funny 2

@Wedgy Haha, Hunting Horn mains do have it tough. I mained the weapon, myself, but had to switch over to Long Sword for Kirin.

I frequently do the little fantasy self-roleplay on a lot of RPGs, so you're definitely not alone.

34 minutes ago, Beocat said:

@Serge heartless I once made an old pirates of the Caribbean style sailing ship in Minecraft. Worked for weeks on the thing. Crowed about my accomplishment to my friends once I was done (did it in survival mode), complete with a working lighthouse in my port made from netherbrick and sandstone....  then looked up other people's ships online and felt very humbled (mine still looked good but theirs was so much more and then some!). Believe me, the thought, planning, effort, and hours that go into it is intense. I'll never look down on the Minecrafters out there. There are some talented folks out there.

I mean it takes some skill to build somethings, but the game in general isn't hard to play, is what I'm saying. 

@Serge heartless  What does it matter if the game's controls have a steep learning curve or not, or whether it's hard to play or not?  It's a game regardless, meant to entertain, inspire, and move people.  How does this actually make them any less hardcore?  The way you are looking at this, only FPS fans and Fighting Tournament fans can even be capable of being "hard-core" gamers.  People play games differently, which is a good thing.  How boring would things be if they were all like that?

A big negative part of gamer culture is this obsession with "superiority" amongst players, always trying to rank one another and exclude others.  The obsession with being "L33T" or whatever has done more to damage gamer culture than anything else over the years. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on what a hardcore vs casual gamer is.

• Like 2
  • Friendly 1

I'm not sure those definitions are tried and true.  I think those terms are more closely related with frequency and time consumption.

I fall into the category of "infrequent weekend warrior."  I just don't game much, and when I do - it's usually over the weekend or on leave.  My most recent long stretch of gaming was when Ace Combat 7 came out earlier this year.  I believe I logged an hour each night on it for about a week and a half.

19 minutes ago, Beocat said:

@Serge heartless  What does it matter if the game's controls have a steep learning curve or not, or whether it's hard to play or not?  It's a game regardless, meant to entertain, inspire, and move people.  How does this actually make them any less hardcore?  The way you are looking at this, only FPS fans and Fighting Tournament fans can even be capable of being "hard-core" gamers.  People play games differently, which is a good thing.  How boring would things be if they were all like that?

A big negative part of gamer culture is this obsession with "superiority" amongst players, always trying to rank one another and exclude others.  The obsession with being "L33T" or whatever has done more to damage gamer culture than anything else over the years. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on what a hardcore vs casual gamer is.

Sorry but I most likely will never see someone who plays Minecraft as a hardcore gamer. Mostly cause its not a hard or difficult game.  Not once did I mention being a causal gamer a bad thing. Though most causal gamers now a days, can't beat games that I mentioned. Then again reviewers have complained in the past about games being too hard. Which is not a bad thing, some people can beat games or play difficult games like dark souls, ninja gadien, or sekiro shadows die twice.  Which also can hurt the gaming community for people who like hard games, cause game developers will worry if their game is too hard.  

3 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

Sorry but I most likely will never see someone who plays Minecraft as a hardcore gamer. Mostly cause its not a hard or difficult game.

You do know that minecraft has "survival" mode as well as "creative", right?  Survival mode has several difficulty levels, and the hardest level even has a "hardcore" setting (yes, it is actually called that) where if you die even once your saved game gets wiped and you have to start over.  I would not characterize defeating minecraft's ender dragon in permadeath survival mode as "easy".

Even just staying with creative mode though.. what's not hard about designing and building a functional computer out of redstone in minecraft?  I could just as easily say that dark souls players can't be hardcore gamers because there's no building or designing going on in that game.  All they're doing is following a storyline laid down by the game designers, with very little room for creativity or game play outside of that path.  But of course that would be just as ridiculous as saying that minecraft players can't be hardcore.

Dark souls is one game.  Minecraft is another.  Comparing them like that isn't really fair to either game.

• Agree 3
Spoiler

image.png.2bc8346dd3fe7db40ca9e129508e37ac.png

As someone with this many hours in Dark Souls I, I kind of wish it wasn't always propped on the pedestal of "The Hardest Game, Ever." There are a lot of cheese strategies in the game that I wish weren't there, like backstabbing and most magics. However, I will applaud it for its surprisingly high quality that has held up over the years, with memorable moments that stick with you. That's why Dark Souls is still talked about: for being a punishing game of high quality.

I also don't like the idea of reflexes=skill. There is a lot that goes underneath the surface of a game's presentation that can significantly impact the way somebody plays, and seeing dedication to a game being equated to "I pressed a button at the right time" is pretty sad.

• Agree 2