Serge heartless

Do you consider yourself a casual gamer or hardcore gamer?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, efaardvark said:

You do know that minecraft has "survival" mode as well as "creative", right?  Survival mode has several difficulty levels, and the hardest level even has a "hardcore" setting (yes, it is actually called that) where if you die even once your saved game gets wiped and you have to start over.  I would not characterize defeating minecraft's ender dragon in permadeath survival mode as "easy".

Even just staying with creative mode though.. what's not hard about designing and building a functional computer out of redstone in minecraft?  I could just as easily say that dark souls players can't be hardcore gamers because there's no building or designing going on in that game.  All they're doing is following a storyline laid down by the game designers, with very little room for creativity or game play outside of that path.  But of course that would be just as ridiculous as saying that minecraft players can't be hardcore.

Dark souls is one game.  Minecraft is another.  Comparing them like that isn't really fair to either game.

Yes but theres other hard games that already have a hard and expert modes in them.   Also I don't think play time makes you a hardcore gamer, other wise I could play the easiest games there are like Big rigs and desert bus, which there games you can't lose at. And just call my self a hardcore gamer. 

Edited by Serge heartless

15 hours ago, Seshi said:

😍 Monster hunter! @Kinbaryu and I did the same with Final Fantasy, the longer you go on exploring other areas of the games (side quests and mini games) the more fun it is.

Monster Hunter takes forever sometimes though. I have not played it myself. Though it is a really good series.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Monster Hunter takes forever sometimes though. I have not played it myself. Though it is a really good series.

Yeah, for sure. Monster Hunter: World is considered to be the lite entry into the series for newcomers, but a lot of the missions end up being 20 minutes long for me, unless I'm going out of my way to speedrun. (Which, in turn, means I'm spending time researching the game...)

The expedition mode (open world) was pretty fun for me. Don't worry about a mission or a timer, just explore, gather materials, and meet some Palicoes.

Image result for palico

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I haven’t played MHW, just the original on PlayStation and then Monster hunter Tri, on Wii. Never did online play either, just solo. 

My favorite bits weren’t fighting monsters lol - I just like to hunt, find and upgrade my gear.

• Agree 1

On 6/21/2019 at 6:49 AM, Seshi said:

I’ve always been a casual gamer, though my preference is for RPGs, and fantasy based games. Final fantasy 8-12, Fable, Dragon Age, and a ton of random games from my youth, Legend of Dragoon, Kingdom Hearts, And my favorite game that needs a remake: Baulders gate, Dark Alliance.

I guess I can get sucked into a game, but I don’t have time for that now a days. Mostly I do FPS games now, as they are easy to pick up and put down quickly. I watch anime with fantasy/ game qualities instead, to make up for not playing them now 😁

Theres some ways to make RPGs hard. Like dragon quest 11 you can play with hard monster fights, and no armor. Though I'm sure you can play final fantasy with no armor if you are good enough. 

Just because I said I was a casual gamer, doesn’t mean the games I like aren’t challenging. I just dont spend all of my time on them.

To me, a hardcore gamer is just someone who gaming=life. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I can't make any representative claims, but generally I'd say quite a few of the old games were a bit more difficult than the average game nowadays. This doesn't necessarily make them better or worse, it's just something I've noticed. I think that generally most games should not be too difficult.
I did not find Dark Souls (which is usually taken to be a difficult game nowadays) to be too difficult, it just was a bit clumsy at some points. It happened more than once that I just fell off a cliff because of the dynamics in the games where you are kinda moved to the side when an enemy occupies the same space. If a game is difficult but you can move quickly and fluently then I usually don't mind the level of difficulty (if I have the time to acquire the controls). That being said, I also think it's pointless to make a game difficult on purpose. If you want to do something with no results in the end than go into politics or philosophy 😂

Generally I think what is the best mix is to have a game that is average when it comes to difficulty, but adding some very difficult stuff to it for extras which are not crucial to the main part. Nowadays I don't really have the time for games, but when the workload gets less intense I might see what is popular nowadays

Edited by Illusion of Terra

I used to play alot of rpg before but now a days just roblox and a few mobile games👻

Posted (edited)

Depends on the game honestly as well as how much time you are willing to invest.

I have been playing several pokemon series (soulsilver, heartgold, diamond etc..) on my Nintendo for the sake of nostalgia. I've tried to finish the game in a different way using different type of pokemon/types and with the knowledge that there would always be a challenge to overcome since you would intentionally make the game harder by playing for example a pokemon comb that is less efficient vs. a specific gym leader. I think LoL players can be perfectly classified into those "casual gamer & hardcore gamers", it gets easier to differentiate when people on ranked have a higher elo due to investing time and energy whilst players on lower ranks don't play regularly or are fairly new or simply don't take it serious as the former.

You can be a hardcore player even if you play Tetris, lately I found out that there are apparently tournaments where "pro" tetris players challenge each other. I recall playing Harvest Moon from the get-go (sunshine islands) so I could choose Natalie over Julia. I mean really, going this far should make me a hardcore gamer. xD

Edited by Muco
confused sunshine islands with light of hope, played both series
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Competitive online Pokemon is really hard, mostly cause you have to predict what the other player is going to do. You have to know what stats and moves are useful. Its not like you can just throw a random team together and hope to win. Its a lot like chess, and it takes a lot of skill to play any game on a competitive level.   

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 2

Not sure which one I am. I play all different types of games from Stardew Valley to Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and Fallout. I play Dark Souls every now and again. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly I don't know what you would call me. I honestly play anything from games like Dark Souls and Sekiro: Souls Die Twice to racing games like Need For Speed, to Sims to finally MMORPGs. I only mobile games when I'm in public places like the doctor's office where bringing my handheld systems such as my Switch or 3DS would be too much, lol.

I also own PS4, Xbox One, original Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PC, Nintendo Switch, 3DS, PSP and a few other systems that I can't name from the top of my head.

Also gonna add though that there are casual gamers that play games like Dark Souls. I say if you play more than a couple hours a week or purchase/rent a game more than so many times a year would determine if one was a casual gamer or hardcore gamer. Then again I believe the choice is a bit subjective.

Edited by EnviousEnvy
  • Like 1

Depends on the Game I can be pretty intense with it.   Any long story game will have my undivided attention until I complete it. And ever after I have this need to 100% every game I play even the ones with annoying side missions.   I can dive into a sports game for long periods of time as well and Call of Duty will always get my online competiveness

Definitely casual. The only games I’ve played recently are on my phone. Mainly a puzzle game called Best Fiends. I have made it to level 891 though. 

I would love to buy a Switch, but been spending too much on home & auto repairs/maintenance. Will be at least Christmas before I can even consider it.

2 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I would love to buy a Switch, but been spending too much on home & auto repairs/maintenance. Will be at least Christmas before I can even consider it.

You might want to consider buying the new Switch instead. Apparently there will be two new versions, something like a Switch Pro and a cheaper one

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

You might want to consider buying the new Switch instead. Apparently there will be two new versions, something like a Switch Pro and a cheaper one

I heard about that. Will have to see what the difference is in price vs specs is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@Ohiotaku this.. Nintendo allows their old systems to become obsolete very quickly as far as updates go. That was the case for my Wii at least. Look into it a bit anyway.

• Like 1

@Seshi That's something Nintendo really should not be doing. I mean it is still great that supposedly the new games will work on the 'old' Switch as well, but it kinda would have been great if they had released all three versions (low medium and high price range) at once, so that everyone can decide depending on their budget. If it's just something like the PS4 pro, i.e. mostly enhanced graphics, it is somewhat passable, but still, the fan base would appreciate it if you release them all at once.

I think I would be somewhere in the middle. I like easy games like phone games - as long as they are mmo style - and games I'm used to playing like Runescape/Perfect World/Digimon Masters Online, FFX. But I also like harder games such as Dark Souls and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

• Like 2

just because i play what people would be considered "difficult" doesnt mean im a hardcore gamer... i always though of it as people who actually care and are competitive at games are hardcore.

just because i play "hard" games doesn't mean i actually care about doing good in them, so i consider myself a casual gamer

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 12:37 AM, Sofi said:

I think I would be somewhere in the middle. I like easy games like phone games - as long as they are mmo style - and games I'm used to playing like Runescape/Perfect World/Digimon Masters Online, FFX. But I also like harder games such as Dark Souls and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Sekiro is a good game.

16 hours ago, cowboy said:

just because i play what people would be considered "difficult" doesnt mean im a hardcore gamer... i always though of it as people who actually care and are competitive at games are hardcore.

just because i play "hard" games doesn't mean i actually care about doing good in them, so i consider myself a casual gamer

I'd agree with this. I don't play games professionally or for long extended periods of time (I think I would consider a hardcore gamer somewhere around 7-8 hours per day). So I guess I'm more casual. If I'm on an off day with nothing to do I might play 4 hours or more but that's not an every day occurrence.

• Like 3

These days I'm just a casual mobile gamer, but I do like to play a classic platformer from time to time like Lemmings or Lode Runner.

• Like 1

Oh, definitely a super duper casual gamer. I hardly ever play anything these days. And when I do, it's usually along the lines of Sims 4 or Stardew Valley. Recently though, the bf and I have started racing against each other in WipEout and we enjoy playing OverCooked! together (It's a super fun game but also incredibly stressful haha, we can't play it before bedtime or we get too riled up hahaha).