Seshi

Selfie Thread

10 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Aww you cute tho

Plot twist. She isn't the cute one she's the one with the black on the face. 

• Silly 1
  • Funny 1

Posting another pic of me this time no filter 

21740833_492300654475738_4822130286216987944_o.jpg

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

7 hours ago, Sam_harris_43 said:

Plot twist. She isn't the cute one she's the one with the black on the face. 

Lmao good one.

Sorry it's not a selfie but I just wanted to show off how cute and big my daughter is getting. 3 months now. 

B612_20191017_134654_065.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cute (Kawaii) 1

@efaardvark True facts? I'm having a hard time placing the tone of that t-shirt... I feel like it's trying to point out how California is so often plagued by droughts, in which case I find it a sad one. But then Mars is also like, an entire planet; having more water than a fraction of earth seems like a silly thing to spotlight. 

Then it could also be both. 

Edited by Wedgy

27 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

@efaardvark True facts? I'm having a hard time placing the tone of that t-shirt... I feel like it's trying to point out how California is so often plagued by droughts, in which case I find it a sad one. But then Mars is also like, an entire planet; having more water than a fraction of earth seems like a silly thing to spotlight. 

Then it could also be both. 

The shirt showed up just after the GRACE mission's preliminary results detailing the severe depletion of the aquifers in the state's central region at about the same time as Mars (which once was thought to not have ANY water left) was discovered to have what is possibly a planetwide permafrost layer just beneath the surface.  The Phoenix lander literally found water ice within arm's reach and just a few inches underneath where it landed as soon as it started digging.  Also Mars is considered a tiny planet - second smallest in the solar system, after Mercury - while California is considered a huge state.  True, Mars is way, way, bigger in absolute terms, but as part of the joke it made some sort of sense at the time.  Maybe you had to be there.

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

was discovered to have what is possibly a planetwide permafrost layer just beneath the surface.  The Phoenix lander literally found water ice within arm's reach and just a few inches underneath where it landed as soon as it started digging. 

I find that endlessly fascinating. Does this mean that Mars could- given the right conditions in atmosphere, have an underground ocean? Do we know how thick this layer is? And correct me if I'm wrong but there was bacteria found in Martian water, wasn't there? I always loved learning about the characteristics of planets in our known spectrum and how they could all easily kill us instantly. I just read about the so-called "blue marble" planet which rains molten glass. There's just something very humbling about knowing how tame our planet actually is by comparison.

1 hour ago, Faeding said:

My Brothers new puppy <3

Awww what a lil cutie what's the pup's name? 

3 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Updated shot from last week.  A very tired selfie...

I'm guessing this was sometime during/after dealing with the mountain of bs left for you? 

11 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I'm guessing this was sometime during/after dealing with the mountain of bs left for you? 

We've only just begun...it's horrifying.

I've been out all week too, which is even more terrifying - what am I gonna go back to tomorrow?

12 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I find that endlessly fascinating. Does this mean that Mars could- given the right conditions in atmosphere, have an underground ocean? Do we know how thick this layer is? And correct me if I'm wrong but there was bacteria found in Martian water, wasn't there? I always loved learning about the characteristics of planets in our known spectrum and how they could all easily kill us instantly. I just read about the so-called "blue marble" planet which rains molten glass. There's just something very humbling about knowing how tame our planet actually is by comparison.

Probably not an ocean.  Mars is so small that the heat from its formation and any heating from nuclear decay has largely dissipated.  What is left is not enough to keep the core molten or an ocean liquid.  The various Mars rovers and landers have found quite a lot of water ice all over the planet however, and there's probably enough local variation that somewhere on or in the planet temperatures are high enough for liquid water to exist.  One of the reasons that there's so much interest in Mars lately from NASA, Musk, Bezos, etc. is because of the water/ice situation.  Water makes visiting Mars a lot easier.  Water is incredibly useful.  Water gets you rocket fuel, breathable air, and of course water to drink.  It helps grow crops, it is a solvent for many chemical and industrial processes, etc., etc.  It is also heavy and dense.  If you have to bring your water with you from Earth it is a show-stopper.  If it is already there and accessible then it is an enabler.

As far as life goes, on earth we've found microbes everywhere we've looked where there is water, including rock cores obtained from deep underground.  Chances are probably very good that if life ever evolved on Mars then the same sort of situation exists there as well.  The Curiosity rover has even found some evidence for this.  Curiosity's instruments are more directed towards investigating geology than biology or chemistry but it has found widespread evidence of surface water in ages past, as well as mineral deposits characteristic of biological processes here on earth.  Obviously that's on the surface.  If any life ever did exist there it probably can't now, given the present conditions.  Underground though, where the radiation and the highly oxidizing perchlorate chemistry on the surface can't reach and where there could still be damp areas, there might be pockets of subterranean microbial life similar to what we've found on/in this planet.

My favorite though is Saturn's moon Titan.  It is bigger even than Mercury, and has an atmosphere 50% more dense even than Earth's.  At the same time, being so small, it only has a gravity about 1/10th as strong as Earth's.  That makes things like aircraft much easier to build and operate.  In fact, you could probably fly around yourself under your own power with a set of mechanical wings.  The surface is similar to Earth's in a lot of ways too.  Water on the surface of Titan is frozen solid and more like rock (or flows from the interior like lava), but there's a lot of hydrocarbons like ethane and methane that are liquid and physically act like liquid water does here on Earth, including evaporating, condensing into clouds and rain, flowing in rivers, and pooling into oceans and lakes.  Based on what The Cassini spacecraft saw, the surface of Titan is as active and interesting as anything here on Earth.

As if that's not enough Titan has other interesting geological layers below the surface.  Because of tidal heating Titan's interior is warm enough for liquid water to exist.  Like I said above, on the surface water behaves more like rock, but underneath the icy layers above there's probably a substantial oceanic layer composed of liquid water.  Below that would be the "real" core of actual rock.  Again, because of the tidal heating there are probably hydrothermal vents at the bottom of Titan's "underground" water ocean.  It is quite possible that life could exist in and around such vents, as it does at the bottom of Earth's oceans.

• Wow 1