What’s your favorite genre in anime?

cose1321

I haven't watched enough anime to say for sure but so far probably the emotional ones.  My faves are "your name" and "A silent voice".  I'm not sure what category those would be considered.  Second would probably be comedies.

My favorite movie genre is horror but I haven't watched enough horror anime's to be able to say yet.

All I own is Shiki and Elfen lied.  Haven't watched either.  I guess I could include HotD, I really liked that one.  I don't think Death Parade is considered horror is it?

Edited by Fireduck
  • Like 1

Yeah I think you're right.  I'm trying to diversify my collection but I think as luck would have it, most of what I currently own is romance/ slice of life.  So I'll go with that being my favorite for now. 😁

Here are some that are good:

code geass

Darling in the franxx 

domestic girlfriend(is high school,but it’s really good.)

konosuba

anohana

re:zero

Masamune kuns revenge

RE:life

Gate

Steinz:gate

Parasyte: the maxim

fate( theirs a lot of different ones just look up fate anime.)

Bungo stray dogs

Plastic memories 

sorry if I put too much. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cose1321 said:

Here are some that are good:

code geass

Darling in the franxx 

domestic girlfriend(is high school,but it’s really good.)

konosuba

anohana

re:zero

Masamune kuns revenge

RE:life

Gate

Steinz:gate

Parasyte: the maxim

fate( theirs a lot of different ones just look up fate anime.)

Bungo stray dogs

Plastic memories 

sorry if I put too much. 👍

Thanks so much cose!  Code geass is on my wishlist, and I just received anohana the series in the mail. (Still have yet to buy the film.  Steins Gate I already own.  The rest I'll look into.

Heard very mixed things about Darling in the Franxx so I haven't pulled the trigger on that one.  Konosuba is something I just read about haha!  The rest I'll check into for sure.  Fate overwhelms me with all the different versions. :)  But I'm considering getting into that series.

Edited by Fireduck
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Endynyp said:

fantasy or the supernatural

This for me too, though like some people have already said I tend to watch a little bit of everything, especially since streaming lets me explore without spending a lot of money.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cose1321 said:

Is being OP a genre, Like one punch man?

Good question!

I’ve never heard of it as being a genre from researching genres. However, I think it would be a defining characteristic of the series for sure.

Just now, Seshi said:

Good question!

I’ve never heard of it as being a genre from researching genres. However, I think it would be a defining characteristic of the series for sure.

Thanks, I was wondering because theirs a lot of anime with OP characters. 

• Like 1

Comedy / slice of life and iyashikei. I like cute, comfy, relaxing stuff 😀

10 hours ago, Fireduck said:

but I haven't watched enough horror anime's to be able to say yet.

If you can look past the animation, definitely try Higurashi. The first season is straight up mystery / horror. The second season (Higurashi... Kai) is more of a thriller, where everything comes together.
Shinsekai Yori has a dark, unsettling tone all throughout the series. It approaches its horror elements in a more psychological way, never getting really gory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dirudiru said:

iyashikei

There are several series in that genre thst I enjoy as well. Some favorites being Aria, My Roommate is a Cat, Flying Witch & Yuru Camp.

4 hours ago, dirudiru said:

Comedy / slice of life and iyashikei. I like cute, comfy, relaxing stuff 😀

If you can look past the animation, definitely try Higurashi. The first season is straight up mystery / horror. The second season (Higurashi... Kai) is more of a thriller, where everything comes together.
Shinsekai Yori has a dark, unsettling tone all throughout the series. It approaches its horror elements in a more psychological way, never getting really gory.

Thanks for the recommendation!

its just me but I find slice of life and sports anime kind of pointless, since you can just do that stuff in real life. And you could just make them live action, I don't see a point in animating something like drama, since you could just make the show with real people.  Fantasy and characters with powers is hard to do in real life, you have to have a ton of money, and good special effects. They did make jojo part 4 the movie, and attack on titan live action movies, but they just don't look good. And they most likely cut out a ton of the story. 

43 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

its just me but I find slice of life and sports anime kind of pointless, since you can just do that stuff in real life. And you could just make them live action, I don't see a point in animating something like drama, since you could just make the show with real people.  Fantasy and characters with powers is hard to do in real life, you have to have a ton of money, and good special effects. They did make jojo part 4 the movie, and attack on titan live action movies, but they just don't look good. And they most likely cut out a ton of the story. 

I don't know why, but I can't watch sports on tv or IRL, it's not as interesting as playing (like you said) but in anime I can watch sports. It's just done in more depth, and you can follow someone's story from start to finish. 

• Like 2