What’s your favorite genre in anime?

cose1321

26 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Then I would have to actually do something, which goes against my philosophy of laziness 😂

The point is, you have a show with just them doing normal everything things, you can just make the same show with real life people. It would be pretty much the same. 

• Like 1

@Serge heartless technically yes. there's still some difference in the sense that most anime are influenced by Japanese culture and usually behave differently from normal (I think that's what @cose1321 also meant). You could go ahead and make a live action version using a Japanese environment and Japanese staff which behave the same way. Then you'd probably have something that is very similar.

I think generally speaking it is true that other genres are more difficult to adapt as live action. But I think it would still be different because one is live-action while the other is something like a cartoon which just makes it look differently. I'm not sure if it is all that important that you can or cannot adapt it as live action. If a slice of life is done well, I don't care if it could be adapted into live action, I just enjoy watching it.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cose1321 said:

But in anime they play differently than normal. 

Ive watched slice of life animes before, some of them just did nothing but talk and walk around the whole time. I mean you could just use real life people and do the same thing, what is different about that? It doesn't feel like animating people just talking and walking around really adds anything. You can do the same thing with people. What does animating it add? 

Edited by Serge heartless

I like anime with layers. No spoilers below.

Spoiler

(Or as I call it, "coats" of emotions.) Some examples of this are OreGairu and Dragon Maid. Season 1 of OreGairu was mostly a light-hearted slice-of-life comedy, but Season 2 turned the series into a drama of the clashing ideologies of the characters. Dragon Maid on the surface is a Yuri comedy with cute characters, but also says something a little bit deeper about society's taboo, romance, and connections between "humans".

Other examples of this would be Steins;Gate and Re:Zero. Steins;Gate was at first a time-travelling slice-of-life that turned into an intense, high-stakes series. Similarly, Re:Zero has a pretty color palette, bright world, and naive protagonist that clashes with the death, blood, and tears throughout the show. 

A more specific genre I like is fantasy. My favorite fantasy anime utilize fantasy elements to represent the inner struggles of the cast, especially in series like the Monogatari Series, Land of the Lustrous, and the Fate series. Spoilers for these three below.

Spoiler

One of the main plot points of the Monogatari Series isn't that the girls are simply possessed by aberrations; these aberrations are possessing these people because these people are inherently flawed. The very first girl, Senjougahara, is possessed by a crab because of her rejection of her past. Similarly, Hanekawa is possessed by a cat that does harm upon others. However, deep down, Hanekawa also wants to harm those people.

Phosphophyllite from Land of the Lustrous begins as a weak, yet energetic and human character that desires to become more useful. As the series progresses, she loses her humanity, becoming stronger and more insane as the show goes on. She does become more useful, but at a huge cost that has mentally destroyed her.

Magic in Fate is extremely useful, but is also something to be feared. When you learn magic, you put your body at risk. Families are torn apart because of magic, and the children are the ones who have to pay the price.

9 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

Ive watched slice of life animes before, some of them just did nothing but talk and walk around the whole time. I mean you could just use real life people and do the same thing, what is different about that? It doesn't feel like animating people just talking and walking around really adds anything. You can do the same thing with people. What does animating it add? 

Well I think that depends upon the anime. I haven't seen too much slice-of-life anime myself, but anime like Dragon Maid are definitely worth checking out. You can't really film a live-action version of that. Also, typically these slice-of-life anime are drawn to be cute or funny, which is another element that'd hard to capture purely through live-action, since humor is a little different in live-action media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serge heartless said:

You can do the same thing with people. What does animating it add? 

There are a lot of smaller things you can do with animation, that would be tricky to pull off  in "in real life" comedies or SoL shows.
There's of course exaggerating features for comedic effect. But think about using backgrounds to highlight certain things or reactions. Another example.
Animation also arguably makes it easier to set the mood using colour.
It can give studios their own, unique, visual style that's instantly recognizable

Edited by dirudiru
Unfinished
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, dirudiru said:

There are a lot of smaller things you can do with animation, that would be tricky to pull off  in "in real life" comedies or SoL shows.
There's of course exaggerating features for comedic effect. But think about using backgrounds to highlight certain things or reactions. Another example.
It can give studios their own, unique, visual style that's instantly recognizable

I think you did a really good job summarizing why I’ve always been a fan of animation in general and not just anime as far as bring a form of expression. Even when the setting or story isn’t anything fantastical, the visual style and character designs can make it stand out from others that have similar concepts. Whike things like lighting and fx can have a similar impact on live action, it doesn’t seem as noticeable. 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Just now, dirudiru said:

I mean you can make real life shows with their own unique style. There has been some shows like that 70s show, scrubs, Farscape, and a few others that stand out more then others.

Id have to say though action/fantasy anime is my fav.