Must see/own Anime

Fireduck

Hey guys.  As someone who is new to anime, it can be kind of daunting to pick and choose shows to watch and to purchase.

I've gone off of reviews and word of mouth, and also just googled such topics, but I'd love to get opinions from the forum.

In your guys' opinions what are the must watch anime and for a collection/collector the must own anime.  Like what anime out there is considered the pinnacle of Anime?

I generally don’t buy into the concept of an anime with universal appeal since everyone has their own tastes.  I much prefer to think that in the vast variety of anime series there’s something for everyone instead of a few series that appeal to everyone.  It’s much easier to recommend series on an individual basis . As far as exploring, I would recommend subscribing to a streaming service with a variety of titles and check out series where the concept interests you even if it’s not a genre you usually watch. I doubt Romance, Sports or Reverse Harems will ever be favorites of mine, but  I have come across examples that were surprisingly enjoyable.

That being said, there are some favorites of mine that tend to be pretty widely appreciated (regardless, I would recommend watching before buying if possible)

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist (both versions are sufficiently different that they are worth checking out, though my own preference is Brotherhood)

Trigun

Cardcaptor Sakura 

Mushishi

Death Note

My Hero Academia

Most of these are pretty mainstream, but when recommending more obscure stuff, I prefer to know a bit mire about what they’re looking for

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Really depends, I mean someone could recommend me some anime and I might not like them. I could recommend some anime and you might not like them.  Those these animes I could watch any time.

Jojos bizzarre adventure part 3

Hunter x hunter the 2000 seires

Mai-hime

Magi The Labyrinth of Magic, Magi kingdom of magic 

Fate/zero, fate/stay night unlimited blade works tv 

read or die tv series 

Dragon ball 

yu yu hakusho

rurouni kenshin

my hero academia

attack on titan

one punch man

i was reincarnated as a slime

cowboy bebop

samurai champloo

Danganronpa

Ghost in the shell 

fullmetal alchemist

Iria anime series 

Baki the grappler 2001 series and 2018 series. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1

If you’re looking for public opinion check out the MAL listing. 

As far as my own opinion, it made me laugh at times, but there were also entire episodes that did nothing for me. There are a few generally brief moments of sentiment and characterization, but it’s 95% percent a gag/parody series. I think I still have a couple of the better episodes recorded from Toonami, but not worth buying IMO.

Edited by Ohiotaku

I second Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X,  And Yuu Yuu Hakusho And would like to add Monster, and Inuyasha.

For movies I’d also add some Miyazaki films in there, along with The girl who leapt through time, and Summer Wars. 

Like others have already said, and you probably are able to tell, everyone will have a different preference. 

• Like 1

I agree with Ohiotaku; anime is really specific. But, there are some classics that while they may not have universal appeal (indeed I think they are not universally appealing) they are seminal. Lots have been mentioned already (Studio Ghibli's films). For example, Akira and Vampire Hunter D were really important films for their time (but they don't have universal appeal)

Well the must watch series are going to be classics. Even if youre not into the genre you should still try it.

Death Note

Steins Gate

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Etc.

Since I Don't Know which shows you like I cant give you recomendations.