You are the main character!! Writing Challenge!

jubacard

So, I have a challenge for myself and I don't know if anyone wants to help me out, but I think it would be pretty fun.

I want new story Ideas but I also wanna see the free expression of characters, so I figured, why not let someone else choose what the characters do.

And I don't mean choose your own adventure, a, b, c, or d. I mean, completely chose. I may write "a silouette crosses Mario" and if whomever handles mario decides to ignore it, there goes that, challenges to think of ways of driving the plot forward. 

Now I'll write the lore and be the overseeing narrator (although cool to add ideas together) secondary characters, and some stuff related to the plot idea (some 2ndary characters, and maybe a bad guy I wanna have in the lore), but based on the character choice the entire plot could change. Protagonist, lead 2ndary characters, and maybe even villians, I want for someone else to make the choices.

It'll be an ensemble cast to get multiple ideas, but once we get a good plot going, then somebody would take the role of a selected new character, etc. 

The setting is modern day, and general plot would be the world of magic! like illusionist and magicians, (think the sorcerers apprentice movie with nic cage, or the now you see me movies)and the first set of characters would be a regular human, and their lives will change. 

For now tho, If you wanna play along, leave:

Name.

Age.

Occupation (student, worker).

Nationality (maybe we make it an across the globe thing?)

Any specific quirk or  detail you want your character to have? (very shy, hates bugs)

To get started I'll leave you with an opening from the character I'll play, a deity type character to introduce us to this world. (I like to write in a screenplay style cause it helps differentiate the dialog)

Spoiler

White is all that can be seen, at the center of the void is a sphere, that suddenly splits in two.

They are eyes that open up and look directly at you. 

???

Oh wow, I can't believe we have another one. 

A smile that goes from mile to mile appears in front of you, the mysterious giant creature cant help but laugh. his laugh is so big it feels like standing behind an airplane taking off. As the creature talks, it keeps getting smaller. An actual humanoid shape takes form. 

???

You know, we spent thousands of years without needing a single one of you and now you cannot stop popping up...Seriously,

how bad did you screw up? Now, where is it? LOCKERS!!

Out of nowhere millions of office lockers appear covering the entire void. The creature looks around.

???

Seriously the bad thing about dealing with eons worth of universal history, is that transferring data systems is very complicated, I hope we get to floppy disk soon.  The name is Dolos by the way...Here it is!

Dolos pulls out a file and looks at you.

Dolos

This is interesting, you're gonna be very fun. Now, you're here because, either something is coming,

or something is already there; that's affecting your reality, and if your reality gets destroyed then so does mine and I 

don't like that.  thank my colegue gods, if something rises to destroy, something else rises to save. Bad thing is, thanks to destiny, I don't

know what party we're part of., but what I can tell you is this, your life is about to completely change, and what's most important to you

might be in peril, are you ready to save it?

All the lockers hide again, and Dolos goes back to its giant form.

Dolos

Now what are you waiting for?Wake up!  you...you got things to do. 

Lets see where this goes! 

Eliza Chapters:

Spoiler

CH 1

Sergio

Eliza, wake up! wake up! we got things to do! WAKE UP!

Eliza (22, small girl with a big attitude, and a determined yet tired look on her face) wakes up. Right in front of her stands Sergio (38, 7ft, big buff giant with an even bigger heart, he wears jeans and a black shirt) the owner of the The Ace of hearts, a club in lower manhattan, the place is completely upside down. "happy new year!" signs cover the place, there are a few drunks passed out on the chairs, among those lays kamada, Ryu (22, tall very slender, scruffy beard, looks very tired, like he's been working for the last two days, not partying.)

Sergio

Hey Doctor! Time to go. 

Ryu wakes up and gets up, goes right up to Sergio and hugs him, they seem to be long time friends. Ryu leaves.

Outside the club there is a homeless man playing with with a deck of poker cards, Ryu throws him some coins and goes on his way. 

Sergio

Man, I'm glad the doc got to go out at least for a bit. That young man works very hard. 

Anyway, thanks for tending for the new years event Liz, couldn't have done it without you, now go home and go to bed...you look terrible right now.

Eliza smiles and goes on her way, she looks at her wallet and giggles at all the tips she got that night, suddenly, flashes of Dolos smiling at her come to her mind; Eliza can't quite place what it is.

Eliza Passes by the homeless man.

Homeless man

A pleasant illusion is better than a Harsh reality.

Eliza didn't quite hear, the homeless man laughs. 

Blocks later, on her way to the metro station.

Eliza is right at the ticket check entrance, but right before sliding her metro pass, she notices, sleeping on one of the benches, the same homeless man. 

Home is 45 minutes away walking and Eliza is exhausted.

It's 15 by metro...

She can always get a cab (thanks to the tips) 

Eliza...

CHOICE:

Perturbed by the presence of the same homeless man she just passed, Eliza boards the train, shaking her head and decides she just needs to go back to sleep, dozing off on the train.

CH 1.1:

Eliza wakes up, the cart is empty, might be a good thing, at least the homeless man isn't there. 

lights start to malfunction and things start to look a bit odd, windows start to move from place to place, lights change color and position. 

Suddenly , shadowed figures appear on the cart and all of them look at Eliza and slowly start walking towards her, right before they reach her...

Conductor

now arriving (muffled) station, please remain seated until the train stops. 

Eliza actually wakes up, cart seems normal, with people seating waiting for their stop. 

Eliza leaves and right as she exits the car, there he is, sleeping on a bench, the homeless man. 

Eliza's phone rings, it's Sergio.

Sergio

Hey Liz, long time no talk. Look, I know you just got off the phone and got us

a huge catering gig for next Saturday, trust me when I tell you, new year's tips are gonna be chicken shit compared to this.

I need you on my team, what do you say?

Eliza looks at her calendar, she has a date scheduled for next Saturday. 

Eliza...

CHOICE:

Eliza speaking to Sergio: What?? Oh, yea.. that’s cool. Let me talk to you later alright? *hangs up the phone.

The homeless man is no longer on the bench... what is going on? Eliza thought, steadily walking towards where the man was just sleeping. Her head spinning 

Eliza arrives home, she plops down on the couch.

As she browses through tv channels. this phrase can be heard: "A pleasant illusion is better than a Harsh reality."

She remembers the homeless man saying those words, but blames it on sleep deprivation. 

Days pass, it's time for the catering gig. 

Sergio, Eliza and others finish setting up. 

Sergio

Alright, bartenders line up! 

Eliza and two other tenders line up, Sergio pulls out a small pill out of his pocket.

Sergio

This is call AG-36, it is a special, fun time, happy pill. All these rich bastards 

love taking it with alcohol for some good times, so if anyone orders a "flying" cocktail, you just crush

one of this on their drink, there's a box on the counter, code is 1993. 

I wish I could have told you about it before, but circumstances didn't allow it. 

Time passes, as the guest start to arrive; Eliza sees, wearing a white tux, new haircut, and completely shaven; but it had to be...the homeless man. 

Eliza spends the night trying to avoid the homeless man, before she realizes, he's standing right behind her. He pokes her in hte back, she flinches and turns. 

Homeless man

...Why are you following me? 

Eliza...

Edited by jubacard
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I LOVE this idea. I was thinking of starting a story like this with a cast, but I wanted to host it as a murder mystery party. That would take a lot of work.. so maybe in the far future.

Anyway.. I’d like to play along here 😁

Character: Eliza, 5’8” dark skin, black hair, green eyes. Fashion forward

Occupation: Bartender/mixologist  at a wealthy club. She serves specialty drinks (magical)😉 for her higher paying customers 

Quirk: Sarcastic sense of humor, doesn’t take relationships seriously. Lives for success 

Waking up hungover is no fun 

Edited by Seshi
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Name: Kadama, Ryu

occupation: Medical Technologist (or to be broader--- scientist)

nationality: Philippines

specific quirks/details: tough looking, but very kind; would take the blame for someone he knows, and would lend a helping hand at moments haste (exception being money lending)

oftenly, allot of times misunderstood, has a wierd way of thinking everything, enjoys giving friends a "nickname/shorter name"

and the most important detail of them all "is left handed" 

i pretty much self inserted myself, except name lmao

though to be honest, even if i leave this info, im not sure if i can join in, due to studying reasons >__<

im sure gonna contribute though couse i like this idea =D

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Alright lets get this party started! 

So for Ryu, lets do this, we'll keep his character but  he'll have minimum interaction for now, once you feel you can join in you DM so we can surprise whomever joins the thread later lol. 

Now I probably should have clarified, our characters are common humans not aware of the magic world yet to start (once we get in some other characters we'll see where it goes), but I love the VIP cocktail idea, so I will it to fit.

Seshi my friend, it might feel that at the end of this im giving you specific options, but if you wanna choose to call the cops, jump in front of a train, or whatever you want...do it, what would YOU do in that situation? lol. 

FYI, everything I write for the story is with about 15 min of pre thought lol I wanna see what Ideas come out of the bat. 

Spoiler

Sergio

Eliza, wake up! wake up! we got things to do! WAKE UP!

Eliza (22, small girl with a big attitude, and a determined yet tired look on her face) wakes up. Right in front of her stands Sergio (38, 7ft, big buff giant with an even bigger heart, he wears jeans and a black shirt) the owner of the The Ace of hearts, a club in lower manhattan, the place is completely upside down. "happy new year!" signs cover the place, there are a few drunks passed out on the chairs, among those lays kamada, Ryu (22, tall very slender, scruffy beard, looks very tired, like he's been working for the last two days, not partying.)

Sergio

Hey Doctor! Time to go. 

Ryu wakes up and gets up, goes right up to Sergio and hugs him, they seem to be long time friends. Ryu leaves.

Outside the club there is a homeless man playing with with a deck of poker cards, Ryu throws him some coins and goes on his way. 

Sergio

Man, I'm glad the doc got to go out at least for a bit. That young man works very hard. 

Anyway, thanks for tending for the new years event Liz, couldn't have done it without you, now go home and go to bed...you look terrible right now.

Eliza smiles and goes on her way, she looks at her wallet and giggles at all the tips she got that night, suddenly, flashes of Dolos smiling at her come to her mind; Eliza can't quite place what it is.

Eliza Passes by the homeless man.

Homeless man

A pleasant illusion is better than a Harsh reality.

Eliza didn't quite hear, the homeless man laughs. 

Blocks later, on her way to the metro station.

Eliza is right at the ticket check entrance, but right before sliding her metro pass, she notices, sleeping on one of the benches, the same homeless man. 

Home is 45 minutes away walking and Eliza is exhausted.

It's 15 by metro...

She can always get a cab (thanks to the tips) 

Eliza...

I'll update the first page of the threads with the chapters once the story gets going a bit more, I'm having fun tho. 

Edited by jubacard
  • Like 2

Correctomundo, ideally each new paragraph ends with the character making a choice thats why it ends with "Eliza..."

You have your first choice ther tho, what are you gonna do? :V 

Edited by jubacard
  • Like 1

Thank you for making her sleep :D 

Spoiler

Eliza wakes up, the cart is empty, might be a good thing, at least the homeless man isn't there. 

lights start to malfunction and things start to look a bit odd, windows start to move from place to place, lights change color and position. 

Suddenly , shadowed figures appear on the cart and all of them look at Eliza and slowly start walking towards her, right before they reach her...

Conductor

now arriving (muffled) station, please remain seated until the train stops. 

Eliza actually wakes up, cart seems normal, with people seating waiting for their stop. 

Eliza leaves and right as she exits the car, there he is, sleeping on a bench, the homeless man. 

Eliza's phone rings, it's Sergio.

Sergio

Hey Liz, long time no talk. Look, I know you just got off the phone and got us

a huge catering gig for next Saturday, trust me when I tell you, new year's tips are gonna be chicken shit compared to this.

I need you on my team, what do you say?

Eliza looks at her calendar, she has a date scheduled for next Saturday. 

Eliza...

Eliza speaking to Sergio: What?? Oh, yea.. that’s cool. Let me talk to you later alright? *hangs up the phone.

The homeless man is no longer on the bench... what is going on? Eliza thought, steadily walking towards where the man was just sleeping. Her head spinning 

Spoiler

Eliza arrives home, she plops down on the couch.

As she browses through tv channels. this phrase can be heard: "A pleasant illusion is better than a Harsh reality."

She remembers the homeless man saying those words, but blames it on sleep deprivation. 

Days pass, it's time for the catering gig. 

Sergio, Eliza and others finish setting up. 

Sergio

Alright, bartenders line up! 

Eliza and two other tenders line up, Sergio pulls out a small pill out of his pocket.

Sergio

This is call AG-36, it is a special, fun time, happy pill. All these rich bastards 

love taking it with alcohol for some good times, so if anyone orders a "flying" cocktail, you just crush

one of this on their drink, there's a box on the counter, code is 1993. 

I wish I could have told you about it before, but circumstances didn't allow it. 

Time passes, as the guest start to arrive; Eliza sees, wearing a white tux, new haircut, and completely shaven; but it had to be...the homeless man. 

Eliza spends the night trying to avoid the homeless man, before she realizes, he's standing right behind her. He pokes her in hte back, she flinches and turns. 

Homeless man

...Why are you following me? 

Eliza...

I’ve been following you? Please, I’ve got more important things to worry about than following around some random guy who sleeps on park benches... Eliza walks away, hurriedly to pick up a tray that was just put out for table 20.

Look, if you’re going to keep following me, why don’t you make yourself useful and give me a hand. She hands the tray to the man and orders him to take it to the table with the waiting customers. Instead of walking the tray to the table, he snaps his fingers and the drinks appear in front of her customers.

That got her attention. Eliza grabs the man on his arm and leads him away, looking as if she’s seeing things. The rest of the customers seem unaware of the strange event. 

“You are only looking with your eyes”... He says and the man disappears again.