Do you prefer boy or girl anime characters?

Seshi

As the title implies, which do you like better? Boy anime characters or girl anime characters? And why do you like them better? What is it about their attributes that makes you prefer them?

I really prefer boy anime characters- for the most part. There are some exceptions, especially when it comes to girl characters out of traditional norms, such as in Claymore.

I feel that I connect better with the boy characters in the way they feel and express their emotions. To me, anime girls are over dramatic and I’m not like that at all, so it doesn’t really appeal to me as much. There are definitely exceptions to the rule with girl characters, but I find the majority to be pretty clearly “girly” for lack of a better word 😝

• Like 2

Really depends, if rin tohsaka was real id try to marry her.  I don't think I could hang out with anime dudes, most of them hate everyone. Or just are on a journey, traveling the world.  Other anime guys would also not want to hang out. The only anime guy I can think of that might hang out is Krillin from DBZ. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Boys, for reasons already mentioned. They're written better and girls are most of the Time over dramatic.

Though my top 10 characters consists out of 5 boys and 5 girls.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Humbby said:

my top 10 characters consists out of 5 boys and 5 girls.

That is a very interesting point. I DO have a lot of female favorite characters... I agree that the majority are not written well or perhaps not the focus of the story?

I think good female characters aren’t as prevalent, and even if I have an admiration for the character, they are not the main, and a lot of the time have very scarce roles total. Such is the case for characters like Genki from Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Teresa (who was introduced after she died) in Claymore, and Tohrus mom... also dead lol... though Fruits Basket does have other awesome female characters lurking around to make up for it. Is this an odd coincident or do writers actually shy away from writing female characters with more depth on purpose? Or is it that females aren’t leading characters? @Wedgy I hadn’t considered it before.

Maybe I’d like female anime characters more if they had more key roles... not like the love interest roles - although I do like Taiga Aisaka from Toradora.

@Kinbaryu I don’t think genderless characters are anywhere near common enough to be a part of the conversation (for me). But if that’s your preference I apologize 

• Like 1

Tbh I can't choose. For me it just depends on the writer, I have seen some amazingly well written male and female (Griffith, Light, Yumeko, Rena, Rika etc.) and some absolute trash characters (Mikasa, Subaru, etc.). So yea, I don't think one gender is superior to another in the anime world as far as writing is concerned, therefore I feel like to choose a gender as my favorite it would have to just be based off my own sexual preference, and I prefer women to men however that is not enough to make me say I like female anime characters better in general as I care for the character more than the look of the character. 

Edited by SAO LILDOOP
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Im  liking both boy and girl char but alot of girl char i mostly like are abit boyish like me and some are in similar in personality like me so i can relate to them , the boys char i like are silent mysterious kind red hair even.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Seshi said:

That is a very interesting point. I DO have a lot of female favorite characters... I agree that the majority are not written well or perhaps not the focus of the story?

I think good female characters aren’t as prevalent, and even if I have an admiration for the character, they are not the main, and a lot of the time have very scarce roles total. Such is the case for characters like Genki from Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Teresa (who was introduced after she died) in Claymore, and Tohrus mom... also dead lol... though Fruits Basket does have other awesome female characters lurking around to make up for it. Is this an odd coincident or do writers actually shy away from writing female characters with more depth on purpose? Or is it that females aren’t leading characters? @Wedgy I hadn’t considered it before.

Maybe I’d like female anime characters more if they had more key roles... not like the love interest roles - although I do like Taiga Aisaka from Toradora.

@Kinbaryu I don’t think genderless characters are anywhere near common enough to be a part of the conversation (for me). But if that’s your preference I apologize 

I think it comes down to a matter of opinion. Or it could be that some anime females a lot of people don't know about. Like Bianchi from hitman reborn. Even with Reborn being cursed, she still loves him. And still sticks up for her family. And is more laid back then most of the characters. 

ghost in the shell-major. Most level headed character in the show next to the chief. And almost always makes the rights choices, and thinks more clearly then most other characters. 

rokka braves of the six flowers- Flamie Speeddraw other level headed character, and is more clam then most of the other females. She doesn't act like a ditz, or super hyper like other females. 

danganronpa-Kyoko very calm, and always searching for clues about the next murder. She even finds out more clues then the main character some times. 

• Like 1

@Serge heartless what I meant was that the shows I watch are shounen. And the anime you mentioned weren’t (minus Hitman reborn) I just haven’t seen that one. My point was, since shounens are what I like, and they are focused on a male audience, that may be why I don’t see as many female characters that I like. Unlike you, who have just listed plenty, but from other genres, ones that I probably wouldn’t normally watch.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Seshi said:

@Serge heartless what I meant was that the shows I watch are shounen. And the anime you mentioned weren’t (minus Hitman reborn) I just haven’t seen that one. My point was, since shounens are what I like, and they are focused on a male audience, that may be why I don’t see as many female characters that I like. Unlike you, who have just listed plenty, but from other genres, ones that I probably wouldn’t normally watch.

I think anyone can watch danganronpa, the characters are all really bright and colorful. Every ep someone might die, and they have to find out who killed the person. It was really popular in Japan, having video games, that had to solve puzzles and clues, like phoenix wright. 

You would like Iria maybe, since its kind of sci-fi action, and Iria her self is a interesting character trying to take out a unkillable alien. She reminds me a lot of Batgirl.  Having no powers, and is just a human with gadgets like batman. Though Iria is more like batgirl since she's younger and of course a female. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I tend to prefer girl characters for a number of reason appearance being one of them though that is certainly obvious with my avi choices.

There are other reasons though I have been just think at least in a lot of newer anime the arre more dynamic characters. in terms of personality as well as place in the plot etc. Though thats not to say I don't like male characters there are plenty of good ones.

I can appreciate both male and female characters, it really just depends on how they are written, and I have seen good and bad characters of both genders. If all things are equal though, then I have a bias toward female characters, simply because looking at women is preferable to looking at men for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I prefer both actually. These are the things I look into when choosing male or female character.

Obviously this is a very difficult and complicated process I have to go through in order to find the character of my choosing.

Male - badass, cool, carefree, smart.

Female - badass, cool, carefree, smart, pretty. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I seem to prefer the more androgynous looking (or even just genderless/not canonically gendered) characters (e.g. Armin Arlert, Griffith, Suzuya Juuzou, Hange Zoe, Envy) so it is tough for me to really figure out if male or female characters are my favourite since:
1. I don't care what gender the character is as long as it's a good character with development and the ability to make me truly love them.
2. I find male, female and androgynous characters attractive and therefore don't have the "I find this gender more attractive so I like these characters more" line to fall back on ... I've just gotta deal with knowing I'll be in a perpetual state of "Oh no, they're ALL attractive!"

This is also a problem with other things seeing as I have been completely infatuated with a certain not canonically gendered, androgynous character from a video game for a while now ...

See the source image

• Like 1

A younger me would be like "gruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuls"! But, we really need to open up to gender diversity, because we have more gender queer characters now, than we use to. And, really, I like any character that isn't a busted gender stereotype!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I mostly prefer male anime characters for the fact that they do seem better written. The majority of the females in the anime that I've watched seem to be pretty loud and dramatic and I haven't really watched any with a strong female lead.

I'm sure there are some very well written anime females out there and it would be nice if they would work on writing females better across the board. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sasuke said:

I mostly prefer male anime characters for the fact that they do seem better written. The majority of the females in the anime that I've watched seem to be pretty loud and dramatic and I haven't really watched any with a strong female lead.

I'm sure there are some very well written anime females out there and it would be nice if they would work on writing females better across the board. 

Fruits basket seems to be doing a great job of this, if you’re interested 

I tend to like male characters more too. I just find the anime female girls to usually be not relatable to me. The only females I've really liked in anime are Asuna, Kikyo, Sango and Hinata Hyuga because they seemed relatable to me. The personalities of anime guys just seems to usually be better overall. 

• Like 1