Should I buy Japanese tutorial book to Lear Japanese?

Big Boar

Hello~ I found this book "Genki" that teaches Hiragana, and there's also "intermediate Japanese". Should I buy one if I want to learn and speak/write Japanese fluently? How long it will take to at least understand most Japanese if you have good memory?

• Like 1

So since you want to learn Hiragana I assume you are completely new to the language.

I Have Genki and you don't have to buy 1 to learn Japanese. Genki Is just a start and won't even make you an Intermediate at It.
What I do to learn languages, this goes for any language, Is to just use It even tho you don' t know any vocab or grammar.

I never learned English, I just lived In an English world (PC). People that learn fast usually live In the country that uses that certain language but not everyone can just fly over just to learn a language.
so Instead of going to Japan you could use a Japanese keyboard and do the same from the Internet.

I'm not good at Japanese myself and I'm still learning but I can give you some tips I guess.

This Is how I learned so far.
1. Start learning Hiragana and Katakana, you can learn both of them over the weekend.
2. Start Learning some Kanji I'd recommend this: https://decks.memrise.com/course/141583/2136-joyo-kanji-by-grade/

You don't have to now the Pronunciations yet, that will come with time.
Just a small explanation.
There are 2 types of Reading, Kunyomi and Onyomi
Kunyomi Is the Japanese way of reading Kanji, Example: 山(Mountain) Kunyomi Is "Yama", If I say that everyone will know Its a mountain.

Onyomi Is the Chinese way of reading, So In that case 山 would be read as "San", But this Isn't as clear as the Kunyomi reading since San can also mean: Three etc. This Is to make It flow better.
There are just to many readings to just remember so thats why I would recommend NOT to learn the readings immediately

3. You can make your own course or just a list for Vocab you want to learn. This way you will also get familiar with pronunciations of Kanji
4. Learning grammar Is up to you, Genki does a good job at teaching basic grammar but apart form that you can learn much more In less time If you were using other methods.
I Personally learn grammar by reading and then making the correct version of the sentence In my own language until I don't have to think about It anymore (Like What I did with English) 

I feel like I talked like I am a Japanese expert even tho I am just a beginner aswell, Most of these Tips are from how I've learned other languages and a the little Japanese knowledge I have myself.

EDIT: (IMPORTANT)

I recommend this Site, https://ichi.moe/cl/qr/?q=山本&r=htr
You can paste any sentences In there and it will show you every single word. Much more convenient then Google Translate.

Edited by Humbby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I also think an important part of learning a language is having someone of that language (or a speaker of) and take some time to speak with them each day.

Maybe you could find a website that will let you do this. If not, I’d suggest using an audio guide as well as your reading guide, so that you can practice speaking on your own and listening to the words that are spoken many many times.

When learning anything it’s good to get a mix of visual and auditory inputs. 

Good luck

• Agree 2

On 6/29/2019 at 4:01 AM, Seshi said:

I also think an important part of learning a language is having someone of that language (or a speaker of) and take some time to speak with them each day. 

This.  If you can find someone who speaks both your language and the language that you are trying to learn then that's worth a lot.  Preferably a native speaker who can immediately answer questions and correct your mistakes before they turn into bad habits, but even just another student at your own level is so helpful.  If you want to actually speak another language then you need to get in the habit of using your brain, your mouth, and your ears all at once in full conversational mode.

• Like 1

I too share the same sentiment on having some form of audio media for learning another language despotically one with a entirely different language structure such as Japanese, and other Asian languages.

There are a lot of options too even on YouTube for free.

• Like 1