Summer 2019 Anime

Ohayotaku

So, thought I would create a topic where members can give their general thoughts on the current season’s anime series until they decide which ones deserve their own topics for discussion. 

My first impressions:

GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION 
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts (fantasy/supernatural)

Fire Force (shonen/supernatural)
Magical Sempai (comedy/ecchi)
How Heavy a Dumbbell Can You Lift? (comedy/ecchi)
If it’s for my Daughter... (fantasy/kawaii)

BAD FIRST IMPRESSION 
Dr. Stone (shonen/scifi)
Demon Lord Retry (isekai/OP)
Are you Lost? (adventure/CGDCT?)
Astra Lost in Space (adventure/scifi)

BTW, the reason I labeled Are you Lost? As CGDCT?  is because there aren’t many Cute Girls Doing Disgusting Things series -_-;

What does everyone else think of the season so far?
Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Humbby said:

I agree with your list right now.

Though so far Kanata no astra is the best that has aired this season so far imo.

Planning to watch it tomorrow

Edited by Ohiotaku

50 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Still looking forward to Vinland Saga, it will air on the 8th.

Since it’s on Amazon I’ll wait till it’s over and binge it.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seshi said:

You don’t have prime? I don’t know how else I’d order things online 🤣

I’m usually in no hurry so I go with the standard free shipping. And I alternate between Prime & Netflix  since they only pick up a few titles at a time. Dororo is over now, so time to switch and watch season 2 of Kakegurui & Aggretsuko. For now I keep Crunchyroll & Funimation year round.

• Like 1

Astra Lost in Space - afraid I found the characters’ personalities annoying pretty much without exception. Just a first impression though, so will probably give it some time.

Just finished the first episode of Cop Craft. Biggest thing I noticed was how hard it’s trying to replicate the feel of American police action/dramas with all the violence and profanity. Also accentuating the culture clash aspect with the female lead’s naivety and very rigid sense of justice. So far the fantasy aspect seems  pretty forced, but hopefully they’ll correct that with some much needed world building later on. If they can manage that and some decent character growth, this could be pretty enjoyable. At least it’s  got my interest for now.

Edited by Ohiotaku

I think it’s Funimation only right now, but last season CR got access to most of their series after 3 or 4 weeks. There’s no guarantee but hope for the best.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Granbelm - magical girls fighting using giant robots. Not actually good, but different so will probably give it a couple episodes. Could be similar to Mai Hime.

Arifureta - basically an unlikable character ranting for a half hour. Don’t usually one-and-done a new series, but will make sn exception in this case.

• Like 1

Isekai Cheat Magician - fairly standard start for an isekai, but the characters seem likable . Pretty sure I’ll stick with this one.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

5 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Isekai Cheat Magician - fairly standard start for an isekai, but the characters seem likable . Pretty sure I’ll stick with this one.

Oh my gosh I forgot this was coming out today!! Thank yew 🤗

Vinland Saga. Fire Force, The Kings Avatar 2 (not released but seen trailer) and Cop Craft are the ones I will be looking out for this season.

Everything else I've seen so far has not caught my interest yet. I have to re-watch all parts of DanMachi first before watching season 2 but it's on my watchlist.

Edited by Muco
  • Like 1

If it’s for my Daughter, I’d even defeat a Demon  Lord - just watched the 2nd ep. No real action yet, but Latina is freak’n adorable. Not sure how it will develop later on, but definitely has an iyashikei feel to it right now.

The Ones Within - well that was ... weird.   Don’t honestly understand what’s going on here, but seems to be a survival game similar to Danganronpa or Assassination Classroom The dub is pretty good and the snarky dialogue is funny. May continue watching it as something different.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Dr. Stone episode 2 - I think I would enjoy this series more if CR hadn’t hyped it so much and the idea of promoting it as a series that “takes science seriously” is a joke. Will probably take 5 or 6 episodes to decide if it’s enjoyable enough.

@Ohiotaku Just saw this and thought the stone-concept was quite interesting. Hadn't heard about it before but might give it a shot, Generally I don't mind but I'm also not too big a fan of characters who are over-enthusiastic about 'science'. Although judging from the first episodes, it seems a bit like Gintama, i.e. not to be taken seriously.

The Ones Within episode 2 - WTH did I just watch? 🤣 As long as you don’t  let rational thought get in the way, this show is a riot. I don’t know how the actual dialogue compares since I’ve only found the dub, but the english VAs are perfect. Probably my pleasant surprise of the season.

BEM episode 1 - definitely very stylish with an oldschool noir feel to it. Will take a couple episodes to tell if it’s worthwhile.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

On 7/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, Ohiotaku said:

The Ones Within episode 2 - WTH did I just watch? 🤣 As long as you don’t  let rational thought get in the way, this show is a riot. I don’t know how the actual dialogue compares since I’ve only found the dub, but the english VAs are perfect. Probably my pleasant surprise of the season.

BEM episode 1 - definitely very stylish with an oldschool noir feel to it. Will take a couple episodes to tell if it’s worthwhile.

The Ones Within I'm watching the subbed version, seems a pretty good translation. It's pretty nuts. The premise and first episode game me kind of a Danganronpa meets  Btooom or something vibe, this one was more like the insanity of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Edit: With season two here, I think I'll try Danmachi, along with The Ones Within (for now), and Isekai Cheat Magician. Also 7Seeds. Oh and Arifureta.

Edited by Castigear
  • Like 1

I just started If it’s for my daughter, I’d even defeat the demon lord. Everything was all fine and dandy until the daughter-father shippers started tweeting their explicit fanart (no offense, but dang).

I watched the first episode of Given when it aired. I’m currently reading the manga, and I’m loving it so hopefully the bad anime adaptation demons don’t show up.

In short, good first episodes from both of them. 

Isekai Cheat Magician episode 2 - I agree that it’s unlikely this series will do anything revolutionary or groundbreaking, but I’m enjoying it and don’t think it deserves the trolliing it’s getting on other sites.

Edited by Ohiotaku

chibi8.jpg.4e7b21066b1447b50a02190bc3b3bd57.jpg

Astra Lost in Space episode 3 - continues to have a lot of facepalm moments for me, but my overall enjoyment is improving so will leave it on decide as I go status.

• Like 1