Drawing Tablet suggestions

Humbby

So I know some of you draw digitally. And I want to pick up a tablet myself. So I was wondering.

What are some good cheap tablets less than 100$

Also does it feel very different than drawing on paper and is it easy to get used to quicky? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I second the Wacom.

But it also depends on your area and what tablets are available there. Unless you shop online.

It is of course different than drawing on paper. It's slippery. You tend to Undo and repeat drawing that line or curve again and again.

They say you get used to it though. I never did. But maybe I didn't use my tablet enough.

5 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

It is of course different than drawing on paper. It's slippery. You tend to Undo and repeat drawing that line or curve again and again.

I recently got a "Boox" reader.  It has a tablet built into the display and a notebook feature that allows you to take notes and draw on the display like you do with a tablet.  Drawing on glass or smooth plastic does feel different.  I'm not an artist, but I can see how it would take some getting used to if someone were used to paper.  It isn't a big deal though (IMHO anyway), and you do get the other benefits of drawing/writing digitally.  There's also screen protector films that are made to feel more like paper that might help.

For me the bigger issue with a tablet was the disconnect from where my hand/pen was - on the tablet - and where the line I was drawing showed up - on the screen.  I don't have a problem with a mouse because it is a relative thing, but when I was trying to put the pen down on the tablet to draw a line at a particular point on the screen... that was when I had problems.  I could never seem to put the line just where I wanted it to go.  It isn't an issue on a tablet-type device like my boox were the tablet is integrated into the screen, but it was a problem for me on a tablet on my desktop PC with the screen separate from the tablet.

Edited by efaardvark

On 9/6/2019 at 2:03 AM, efaardvark said:

For me the bigger issue with a tablet was the disconnect from where my hand/pen was - on the tablet - and where the line I was drawing showed up - on the screen.  I don't have a problem with a mouse because it is a relative thing, but when I was trying to put the pen down on the tablet to draw a line at a particular point on the screen... that was when I had problems.  I could never seem to put the line just where I wanted it to go.  It isn't an issue on a tablet-type device like my boox were the tablet is integrated into the screen, but it was a problem for me on a tablet on my desktop PC with the screen separate from the tablet.

Oh yeah I forgot about that part too. A lot of people say they also have that problem starting out.

What's weird is that I never experienced that problem. I guess it differs from person to person.

And there are drawing exercises that train you to draw without looking at the paper. (That sounds like a good idea for a tutorial....)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I use a Huion tablet. I love the stylist, its light and sensitive. It took some time to get used to the it like weight and such from my hand and adjusting the program I use to get smoother lines. 

When you do get one check up on tutorials for the program you plan and using and then on the tablet you are using so you can use both to the best of their abilities.

Biggest hurdle to get over when buying a tablet....drawing on a separate entity to your image. You need to make sure you're lined up properly with your screen and get used to watching the monitor and kind of ignoring your hand if that makes sense haha. You DO get used to it though after practice (just like anything).

Tablets can be really cheap so do some research into the different stylus out there. Circle tests are what you're basically looking at ....if you try to draw a circle with a bad tablet, and or the program isn't set up for you it will look like a jagged bunch of line or even a half circle with lines shooting up. (Youtube tablet differences haha)

Drawing on a cintiq or an ipad where you see the picture under your stylus will give you the most comparable feel similar to drawing on paper. But, they end up costing way more. 

Some stores will let you sample the products so if you can do that go for it! It will let you get a feel for the weight of the stylus or the size of the window you can draw within.

Good luck on the switch! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...