Hello Community (Information Request)

Liam Gray

My name is Liam Gray, CIE and Founder of Conquest Comics.

I joined the community to help share XENOTYPE, a dark Sci-Fi/Superhero Graphic Novel/Manga I have been developing and will be releasing to the public soon via IndieGOGO. I've been a fan and student of manga for over 30 years and appeared as a semi-regular guest on BobSamurai's Anime Podcast, but I do not have much reach within the online community. I do not want my work to be seen as spam, it will be a premium quality book with world-class manga art and writing, so I need to know where it would be appropriate to share it.

My goal isn't just to sell books but to establish lasting friendships with people like YOU in the Anime/Manga community so your feedback can help keep production sharp. The more eyes on a project, the better I can make it, and as a small-time indie writer. 

Here is my last Twitter Update:

(twitter link removed)

Here is a short off-the-cuff video of me about the current progress:

[youtube link removed]

I am open to all questions and criticisms from the community. Help me make this the best manga you've ever read!

hey and welcome to the forums, please avoid advertising in the <main forums>, you're free to advertise/post links on your profile, which everyone will see, but the current rule states that we cant allow simple advertisements such as these to be put out, and as such, i am forced to send a warning

any problems and such, please contact me or the other moderators of AF-forums, -- xii360 (edited/approved @ 3:30pm, 7/8/2019)

18 minutes ago, Liam Gray said:

If I am not allowed to post twitter or youtube links, how am I supposed to keep people in the community updated or showcase my art?

you can post an image of it, you can also freely post youtube links/twitter links in your profile, in which people will see 

ex; this post i made, which directs to someone's FB, is fine

image.thumb.png.54b7d5dc918abdb68461061c224d1086.png

you can also put them in signature, aslong as its within the dimension (e.g. putting your twitter link, youtube link and whatnot in your signature)

Here is a brief glimpse of a supporting character, but it is extremely low resolution. 

If I cannot have a thread dedicated to updates, showcasing the art and communicating with people in this community about what they'd like to see from the project, I am better sticking to my social media platforms. I was just hoping to make myself available to potential fans and readers.

MeetAxel.png

• Awesome (Sugoi) 2

36 minutes ago, Liam Gray said:

Here is a brief glimpse of a supporting character, but it is extremely low resolution. 

If I cannot have a thread dedicated to updates, showcasing the art and communicating with people in this community about what they'd like to see from the project, I am better sticking to my social media platforms. I was just hoping to make myself available to potential fans and readers.

MeetAxel.png

Seems pretty hq to me, rules are rules though, you cant be advertising in the forums, unless you can follow them, or rules get changed to allow advertisements, we mods cant do anything but enforce the rules

You are still free to *advertise* in your profile and or signature, aslong as its within dimensions (as i have said many times)

• Agree 1

Howdy @Liam Gray

I would love to see more of your project, it looks really nice! Will you be continuing to work on it?

If you have an ongoing project that you want feedback for, you can post it and it’s updates as you go along in the club forums. There’s also the Art subforum, where your artwork can be shared too. 

Anyway... that’s what I’ve seen around here from some of our other members.

Please feel welcome, and I’m sorry things got off to a rocky start here in your intro thread.

AA6919CE-E6C4-497D-BBCD-11D6CA0E8B0B.thumb.jpeg.5e3143c643330860ae16d196a6fc4870.jpeg

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

@Liam Gray Your work so far looks phenomenal! I'm a bit jealous myself since I've always wanted to be a comic/manga artist (or just artist in general) myself. I'd love to check it out sometime. I have a general idea of how hard it is to get your content out there, so I understand your frustration.

As far as I know, Ryan Dave Jimenez is also showing his work here, but he's been around a bit longer and has contributed to the community. I can tell by your post history that you're similar, and not just here to mooch off of the goodwill of our community. 

15 hours ago, Liam Gray said:

My goal isn't just to sell books but to establish lasting friendships with people like YOU in the Anime/Manga community so your feedback can help keep production sharp. The more eyes on a project, the better I can make it, and as a small-time indie writer. 

I am open to all questions and criticisms from the community. Help me make this the best manga you've ever read!

I think AnimeForums is a great place for a tightly-knit, engaging community. We just get spammed with a lot of bots; sorry that you got caught in the filter, too. Like Seshi and XII360 said, I'm sure this will be appropriate in a different section of AnimeForums, like Art, a blogpost, in your signature, or something like that. (I used to advertise my YouTube channel in blogposts and signature and the team seemed to be fine with it.)  I'm willing to work with you and the mod team at AF if you'd like. 

I see you mentioned that you have been a student of manga for 30 years. I'd like to ask you some questions myself, if you don't mind.

• Does that mean you have drawn for 30 years, or
  • Have drawn for longer and have adopted the manga artstyle for 30 years?
  • How often do you draw?
  • How do you stay motivated?
  • What inspires you to draw?
  • What tips would you give for a new artist?

I've asked plenty of people these questions, but I like hearing from different people. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your time on AF and we haven't gotten off on the wrong foot with you. I'd love to read more of XENOTYPE, so feel free to DM it to me if you'd like. (I wouldn't really consider myself an expert on, well, anything, though.) I strongly empathize with your feelings on creating friendships in a community, since places like Reddit don't really encourage that.

Edited by Kinbaryu