Sign in to follow this  
Seshi

Favorite budget meals

What are your go to meals on a budget?

Some people go to great lengths to stretch their budget. Let’s help each other out and share some good recipes.

I know that many people don’t like quinoa, because it isn’t something they are used to eating, but quinoa is a complete protein and filling carbohydrate source as well. Any meal you can add quinoa to will increase your calories and health. 

An idea of a cheap simple meal with quinoa is quinoa tacos. Seasoned cooked quinoa with taco sauce can be a neat replacement - a pretty impressive feat if you ask me. Just add some beans, veggies, cheese, whatever you want on your taco or burrito.

I used to eat frozen meals all the time before I learned the art of cooking. I like real food so much more though now, and it tastes so much better plus beater for you. Though I have learned how to make a pretty good sun butter/cinnamon, and ginger sandwich only takes about 5 mins to make. So I guess that would be it these days.

• Like 1

I recently tried and have been enjoying trout. I get a steelhead fillet, season it with "Uncle Chris Gourmet Steak Seasoning", wrap it in foil, and stick it in the oven for about 25 minutes. Accompany that with some seasoned asparagus or green beans, and that's a pretty solid meal for like six bucks. And when I'm done, just throw the foil away and relax.

If I don't have much money one month I will buy frozen meals such as curries, fish, burgers and leave out most of the luxuries 

13 hours ago, Seshi said:

What are your go to meals on a budget?

Some people go to great lengths to stretch their budget. Let’s help each other out and share some good recipes.

...junk foods

like, no lie, that's what i eat >.>, and im still somewhat fit-ish, (probably couse i have so much stamina to go jogging, cycling to far places (e.g review center) and such <.>

though, sometimes i don't eat anything at all, just to save cash, 

yet, i don't think another second when someone wants to eat, i buy them snacks (atleast, if im close with them)

there's something wrong with me ~.~

• Funny 1

Sleep.

But in all seriousness dishes that revolve around beans as their primary ingredient are good. I've bean eating tomato and borlotti bean soup a lot over the past couple of weeks with slight variations to it every time I cook it, either due to not having certain ingredients or wondering how other ones would mix well in the dish.

Basics are:

1 onion, diced (not 100% necessary but nice to have)

2 sticks of celery, diced (again, not 100% necessary)

1 carrot, diced (I don't bother peeling them)

2 cloves of garlic

1 400g can of tomatoes

1 400g can of borlotti beans (I've used other types of beans before, it's not a big deal what you use)

1L (4cups) of stock (I usually use chicken)

And a bunch of pepper and some salt at the end.

I usually double those ingredients since I like to make enough so that I end up just eating that for 2 meals a day, I also usually end up tripling the onions and carrots since I like both in soups and stews. Other stuff I add into the soup is turnips, parsnips, potato, cabbage, zucchini, swedes and diced bacon. For seasoning I add some bay leaves and have also added a tablespoon of Italian herbs into it. I haven't tried adding barley or anything like that into the soup but I've found that the soup ends up being pretty filling and nutritious, also depends on what produce is cheap in your area and what you can get on sale. Canned tomatoes and beans in my town tend to be around $0.80-$1 each, vegetables fluctuate but usually if you go to the markets or something like that then you should get a good deal. This is one of my main meals I'm using to help me lose weight. Dish goes well in a slow cooker as well.

Another cheap meal I make in the slow cooker is chicken and corn soup. Buy the cheapest cuts of chicken (usually chicken legs, ideally anything with bones for extra flavour), make sure to add stuff like soy sauce, garlic and oyster sauce for extra flavour as well.

• Funny 1

10 minutes ago, threeeighteen said:

Sleep.

But in all seriousness dishes that revolve around beans as their primary ingredient are good. I've bean eating tomato and borlotti bean soup a lot over the past couple of weeks with slight variations to it every time I cook it, either due to not having certain ingredients or wondering how other ones would mix well in the dish.

Basics are:

1 onion, diced (not 100% necessary but nice to have)

2 sticks of celery, diced (again, not 100% necessary)

1 carrot, diced (I don't bother peeling them)

2 cloves of garlic

1 400g can of tomatoes

1 400g can of borlotti beans (I've used other types of beans before, it's not a big deal what you use)

1L (4cups) of stock (I usually use chicken)

And a bunch of pepper and some salt at the end.

I usually double those ingredients since I like to make enough so that I end up just eating that for 2 meals a day, I also usually end up tripling the onions and carrots since I like both in soups and stews. Other stuff I add into the soup is turnips, parsnips, potato, cabbage, zucchini, swedes and diced bacon. For seasoning I add some bay leaves and have also added a tablespoon of Italian herbs into it. I haven't tried adding barley or anything like that into the soup but I've found that the soup ends up being pretty filling and nutritious, also depends on what produce is cheap in your area and what you can get on sale. Canned tomatoes and beans in my town tend to be around $0.80-$1 each, vegetables fluctuate but usually if you go to the markets or something like that then you should get a good deal. This is one of my main meals I'm using to help me lose weight. Dish goes well in a slow cooker as well.

Another cheap meal I make in the slow cooker is chicken and corn soup. Buy the cheapest cuts of chicken (usually chicken legs, ideally anything with bones for extra flavour), make sure to add stuff like soy sauce, garlic and oyster sauce for extra flavour as well.

I once cooked borscht in a large vat and when my brother asked what’s for breakfast, answer was borscht, lunch? Borscht, dinner? Borscht 😄 we still joke about it years later 

But really, soups are so cheap and versatile.

• Like 1