Nintendo Switch Lite

OtterNmyWater

So the Nintendo Switch Lite was officially announced.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-lite-is-smaller-cheaper-and-handheld-only/

Is any one planning to pick one up? I have been on the fence about picking one up for awhile now, but I have been hesitant to because of the price. $200 sounds like a good price point for me.

• Like 2

Interesting idea and probably more suitable for people on a budget. If you don't need it right away, I'd say to wait a bit for it to go on sale (although Nintendo consoles, except for handhelds, don't go on sale that much). I think 200 is already pretty decent for someone who mostly just wants to play the games.
The biggest drawback to me seems to be that you probably won't be able to play it with other people on one console considering the screen size. Then again, who actually has friends nowadays, amiright 😂

• Funny 1

I have been following the news related to this. I am glad its finally official though it is always seemed odd to me as well. It certainly won't live up to its namesake if it is only portable. Though with the success of the DS and 3DS it makes sense for them to go to the formula that dose work well. Would also be cool if the tv feature was sold desperately for a good price.

Spoiler

Edited by ArchieKun
  • Like 1

I already have a Switch but the lites look like they would be good for those on a budget or those who have small kids or maybe some mental/physical health issues but still like to play games. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

Theres a lot of games it can't play, like any game with motion controls. So no Pokemon sword and shield, is a big let down. And that will also hurt the sells. And you can't play it on your TV, so thats other let down. 

No, it can play games with motion controls, but you have to buy a pair of joy-cons. Honestly what games are there with motion controls that are worth buying though? 1-2-Switch? Just Dance 2019?(Edit: I forgot Mario Party 10. Those are the only games I can think of to my knowledge that require buying joy-cons for). I can’t say I really care for Nintendo Labo either. Also, why would it not to be able to play Pokémon Sword and Shield? Heck, there’s even a special edition model of the Switch Lite being made specifically made for this game.

Obviously, if someone already owns a Switch this really isn’t aimed at those people. It’s more for people like me who do not own one and have been thinking about it, but felt like $300 plus might have been too much. I also don’t understand why people are hating on it when they already own the original model. Like why? Y’all have the superior model, why hate on it? Also, if the ability to play in docked mode is that important to someone then they can just buy the original Switch model. For me personally, I would be fine just playing in handheld mode. It’s always nice to give consumers options. 

Edited by OtterNmyWater
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I think there are a few games which cannot be played with the Lite version, but I doubt that it will be the big ones. I'd check before I buy.
Generally, I am not a fan of releasing new versions (such as the PS4 and PS4 pro) unless the new versions just look differently or are cheaper. I think there are many people who cannot afford 300 dollars for a gaming console (I know I couldn't in the past). So I think offering a cheaper version which still lets you play most of the games, is pretty reasonable (especially if you mainly play in handheld mode).

Edited by Illusion of Terra

2 hours ago, OtterNmyWater said:

No, it can play games with motion controls, but you have to buy a pair of joy-cons. Honestly what games are there with motion controls that are worth buying though? 1-2-Switch? Just Dance 2019?(Edit: I forgot Mario Party 10. Those are the only games I can think of to my knowledge that require buying joy-cons for). I can’t say I really care for Nintendo Labo either. Also, why would it not to be able to play Pokémon Sword and Shield? Heck, there’s even a special edition model of the Switch Lite being made specifically made for this game.

Obviously, if someone already owns a Switch this really isn’t aimed at those people. It’s more for people like me who do not own one and have been thinking about it, but felt like $300 plus might have been too much. I also don’t understand why people are hating on it when they already own the original model. Like why? Y’all have the superior model, why hate on it? Also, if the ability to play in docked mode is that important to someone then they can just buy the original Switch model. For me personally, I would be fine just playing in handheld mode. It’s always nice to give consumers options. 

I don't know what you are talking about, there are a lot of games that use motion controls. Splatoon, Mario Odyssey, Arms, Zelda Pokemon. Pretty much a lot of their most highest selling games.  You are better off just getting a Switch that can work with any game.  Switch lite is kind of pointless, or just wait till they come out with the Pro Switch. 

Edited by Serge heartless

20 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

I don't know what you are talking about, there are a lot of games that use motion controls. Splatoon, Mario Odyssey, Arms, Zelda Pokemon. Pretty much a lot of their most highest selling games.  You are better off just getting a Switch that can work with any game.  Switch lite is kind of pointless, or just wait till they come out with the Pro Switch. 

Yes, but you don’t need to buy separate joy-cons to play those games. I don’t know where you heard that you can’t play those games on the Switch Lite. Also, that’s your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I disagree. 

15 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Since this was mentioned. I wonder what exactly they will add in the Switch Pro? More or less just 4k like in the PS4 Pro or something else? I doubt that there will be games that will be available only for the Pro (or at least only very few of them).

People have speculated that it might be a home console only. Basically, the opposite of the Switch Lite. Obviously, just speculation, but it does not sound beyond the realm of possibility. 4K? That’s a possibility. I think it will definitely have beefier specs.

Edited by OtterNmyWater
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OtterNmyWater said:

People have speculated that it might be a home console only. Basically, the opposite of the Switch Lite. Obviously, just speculation, but it does not sound beyond the realm of possibility. 4K? That’s a possibility. 

😂 would be kinda hilarious though. Three versions, only one of them actually does what the name suggests

• Funny 1

36 minutes ago, OtterNmyWater said:

Yes, but you don’t need to buy separate joy-cons to play those games. I don’t know where you heard that you can’t play those games on the Switch Lite. Also, that’s your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I disagree. 

Yes but I disagree. You are getting a switch with less features.  Aka a bad switch version. You can just wait till a switch pro comes out that will have more features, aka a better switch. 

Edited by Serge heartless

I guess it all depends on whether you play docked or handheld more.  My son plays handheld more, even when the TV is right there unused. I always prefer to play docked, just because I like the Pro Controller so much more than the joy-cons, and if I am going to use the pro controller, may as well use the big tv.

I didn't know anything about the Switch Lite not being compatible with some games. Anyway, I personally still think it's a great idea. Like I stated before, those on a budget or those who have small kids as well as those who are mentally/physically disabled it would be good for. Especially those with small children or children who are disabled; don't have to worry about spending a crap ton of money in case it is accidentally dropped and broke.

14 hours ago, Castigear said:

I guess it all depends on whether you play docked or handheld more.  My son plays handheld more, even when the TV is right there unused. I always prefer to play docked, just because I like the Pro Controller so much more than the joy-cons, and if I am going to use the pro controller, may as well use the big tv.

Honestly, I like both but because my fiancé likes to steal the TV I tend to play mostly handheld, lol. While he's at work and I have off I'll dock it and play it on the TV (I have a pro controller as well). It is definitely nice to be able to do both though. Whenever I leave the house I'll slip the console into it's protective case and stash it in my purse. Keeps me entertained during long waiting periods in the waiting area of a doctor's visit or some other shenanigan that requires me sitting and having absolutely nothing to do, lol.  

idk tbh. i was really happy to find out one i could actually afford came out, but at this point, i don't know if i want to own that system anymore.

even if the system itself is now affordable, doesn't mean that the gameplay and community is... i heard that you need a nintendo switch subscription to even trade and battle people in the new pokemon game... what would be the point

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 2:34 AM, EnviousEnvy said:

I didn't know anything about the Switch Lite not being compatible with some games. Anyway, I personally still think it's a great idea. Like I stated before, those on a budget or those who have small kids as well as those who are mentally/physically disabled it would be good for. Especially those with small children or children who are disabled; don't have to worry about spending a crap ton of money in case it is accidentally dropped and broke.

Honestly, I like both but because my fiancé likes to steal the TV I tend to play mostly handheld, lol. While he's at work and I have off I'll dock it and play it on the TV (I have a pro controller as well). It is definitely nice to be able to do both though. Whenever I leave the house I'll slip the console into it's protective case and stash it in my purse. Keeps me entertained during long waiting periods in the waiting area of a doctor's visit or some other shenanigan that requires me sitting and having absolutely nothing to do, lol.  

Good points to consider having a handheld. I rarely play games because we only have one TV set up for gaming & it also functions as our family tv. So stealing it for video games usually leaves someone out.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, Seshi said:

Good points to consider having a handheld. I rarely play games because we only have one TV set up for gaming & it also functions as our family tv. So stealing it for video games usually leaves someone out.

Right. I mean it's only my fiance and I but if I steal the TV to play my Switch then he has to go in the bedroom if he wants to watch TV or play a game. So the way I see it, my Switch has it's own screen for a reason so why not use it when my fiance is home? Also we have to head to Onalaska and La Crosse quite a bit for doctoring (about 3 or 4 hour drive) so I bring it along for the ride.