Dr. Stone [Spoilers]

thumb-1920-1000639.jpg

I know it's not the top runner this season, but having seen the first two episodes, I think it's still pretty decent. Obviously this thread will contain spoilers.

So far I think it is an interesting concept. I was a bit skeptical at first that it would be too simple and cliché with one jock and one nerd. But as it develops there seems to be more depth to it, when the question comes up if they should resurrect all people or just the non-corrupt ones. Generally, sometimes it does seem a bit run-of-the-mill, but I quite enjoy the mostly not-so-serious vibe.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 3

Actually, it seems like Dr. Stone is the top runner this season. In my opinion, the only other thing that could compete with it seriously is Vinland Saga, but my worry about Dr. Stone is that I don't know if there'll be a good stopping point for this season because I couldn't think of one off of the top of my head.

Manga Spoilers for your resurrection question.

Spoiler

Senku does decide to resurrect all people. It is a shounen, afterall. I have no idea how this is going to work if he also wants to have no violence either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Is the season going to have 13-ish or 24-ish episodes? I guess season end will have to do with figuring out what caused everyone to be petrified?

(Is the image displaying for you guys? It just keeps loading for me, but it doesn't show the image)

The image link may be broken, it isn’t loading.

I guess I’ll be adding another to my watch list. This sounds like an interesting concept 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed episode 3.

The stereotypical behavior of the characters is a bit over-the-top I think, but still I think the plot is moving to an interesting direction. It really is kinda stupid that they have to spent time on outracing each other in order to decide who to un-petrify, but honestly I think that's pretty realistic.

I thought the Buddha scene was excellent. For one, the more I learn about the world, the more I enjoy when someone can appreciate something simple as realizing they actually are in Japan in this case. Also, I liked the whole whether or not to use the material of the statue 😂Honestly, seeing that Buddha reused his food, I think he might actually have encourage use of the statue materials 😂

I am curious to see what happens in the next episode. What I disliked was a bit how nonchalant they were about realizing that one of them is a mass murderer. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Yeah, I know I'm the only one responding 😂

I thought episode 4 was rather sub-par. Can't really say what it was in particular, but it just seemed a bit constructed in a way just to move the plot in a certain direction. Also, what was up with that diss of the American judicial system 😂

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

Continuing to watch though I still consider it over hyped/promoted on most sites. Ridiculously over the top, so it’s attempts to be pro logic/science usually elicit an eye roll from me. Still a good chance I’ll finish the cour out of curiosity, but probably not beyond. Then again my appreciation of Kimetsu no Yaiba really improved late in the first cour (after episode 11 I think) and carried over into the 2nd cour, so could still surprise me.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2
  • Optimistic 1

Sorry to leave you lone threading it... I couldn’t make it past episode 1. I just wasn’t enjoying the characters at all. The over the top “strong” guy, and the other smart dude that calls the other “big oaf” It’s so annoying, not just their personalities, but also voices, their faces and the stories premise of why the characters survived so long...

I mean, come on.. I loved her for thousands of years, and I counted the days, and the seconds. These are high schoolers too? 😜 I’m sorry but, just not really digging it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I didn't know that it was hyped until you guys said that it was the top runner this season. I don't see why it would be though (unless everything else is even worse). I agree that the whole 'science' thing is executed in an unnatural way.
Although, I suppose that whole over-the-top characters was put there as the comedic aspect of the show, which is why I thought it was kinda like Gintama or maybe The Disastrous Life of Saiki. It is quite unorthodox in it's execution mixing the 'science' parts with the over-the-top parts. I'll still watch it I think because it just seems like an easy-to-digest episode a week.

• Like 2

Glad you're enjoying it, @Illusion of Terra. Sorry for having you lone thread it; I already read the manga a while back and don't plan on picking up where I left off.

I can't really comment on the quality of the anime so far, but I didn't really like what I saw of the initial trailer, so I doubt I'll be picking up the anime. ☹️ Sorry.

• Like 1

Crunchyroll are the ones really promoting it (they even have their logo in the opening, here in the states anyway). And they had all kind of articles on their site promoting it, including one about how the creators did “research” to make sure the science was plausible. I’m not saying it doesn’t put some facts out there, but actually seems on the same level as the Dumbbell series (or even Are You Lost?) as far as being informative/educational. If they would just let it be the ridiculous shonen series it actually is instead of trying to make it something it’s not, I could be more forgiving. Though even then, don’t think it will really be my thing.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

including one about how the creators did “research” to make sure the science was plausible

😂 maybe I'm biased here, but most (if not all) of it seems to be high school physics/chemistry. Don't know what 'research' that's supposed to be then 😂 Not that I'd know all the chemistry stuff (since chemistry is the science I know least about).

• Funny 1

That the impression I get as well, yet the MC is supposed to be some sort of scientific genius who’s going to restore modern civilization from a stone age level & is so dedicated to science and logic he would rather die than renounce them. And don’t even get me started on the antagonist (I could rant for hours 🤣). I hate to bash something apparently some people are really enjoying, but just gets me going.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anime actually needs to be 'scientifically accurate'. If you want to know more about science, you can just read a textbook or current research. If shows try to be scientifically accurate, I don't mind it at all. On the contrary, I think it's great if something I didn't know comes up.
What I do mind is, if a show is hailed as or portrayed as being some crazy science stuff, but in the end turns out to be 'just' high school science. If a show is advertised as being 'thoroughly researched', it kinda makes you think they'd include some current scientific research.

All that being said, I think sci-fi shows do a very decent job at including current research and often have some great suggestions for how to implement it. But, Dr. Stone is not a sci-fi show. So I think they should just tone it down with the 'science' advertisement in this show.

I've heard about this anime from several of my friends and it sounds kinda good. I think I'm going to try to watch it because it sounds like an interesting one. If it's kinda boring in the first few episodes though it might lose me since I tend to stop watching things that are slow in the beginning :/ 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Asuna Yuki said:

I've heard about this anime from several of my friends and it sounds kinda good. I think I'm going to try to watch it because it sounds like an interesting one. If it's kinda boring in the first few episodes though it might lose me since I tend to stop watching things that are slow in the beginning :/ 

It didn't seem slow to me at all. You might really enjoy it ^-^

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/08/05/tv-anime-dr-stone-reveals-key-visual-and-new-characters-for-its-next-village-arc

Looks like all those characters from the OP will be making their debut soon. Hopefully I’ll start enjoying the series more with a bigger cast.

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about the new characters they’ve introduced so far. On the one hand they all have traits that make them potentially likable. But then the writers exaggerate other characteristics that make it hard to take them seriously, which is the same problem I have with Senku & Taiju. It seems to be mainly the male characters though.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Episode 8

Ok, now this episode seemed to do everything right. Maybe it just took some time to find it’s groove. And I whole heartedly agree with Kohaku’s opinions of Senku 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gen getting killed in episode 10 was really a surprise, but the way he survived was a bit meh. I'm also not entirely convinced by the whole tournament thing. Seemed a bit 'artificial' and not really fitting with the rest. What was more interesting I think was to see the people Tsukasa has depetrified. I also liked the whole soda thing :)

20 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Gen getting killed in episode 10 was really a surprise, but the way he survived was a bit meh. I'm also not entirely convinced by the whole tournament thing. Seemed a bit 'artificial' and not really fitting with the rest. What was more interesting I think was to see the people Tsukasa has depetrified. I also liked the whole soda thing :)

Chrome should participate on that tournament and win. Seems fair and quite makes sense to me, since he loves her since they were kids. Besides, Chrome looks like a good guy.

I belive Gen should have died or the explanation to his "survival" should be different. Anyway, I hope the anime brings the "war".

Edited by Saigofu
  • Like 2