Username Colours

Rohan Winchester

Question

6 answers to this question

Username colors, as a general rule, usually are used to identify the rank and status of a user on a forum.  For example, on AF, the light blue is used to indicate a moderator, where red is used to indicate an administrator.  This is typical of a forum.  I would say that allowing users to change their username colors could potentially add to confusion, as this system of coloration has become a standard when dealing with forum staff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I don't know, adding colors might be interesting. @The History Kid is right though about admins and mods. We would have to come up with a way of distinguishing them. Admins and mods could get some kind of badges next to their name, so badge people are admins and mods, leaving username colors open. Not ideal I think, but could work?

badges would be fun (especially if we can input a custom-badge of sort) (couse, im gonna draw my sylvie-high badge if it ever happens <_>)

i also like the idea other user's get color in their name, and im not totally against it, though it isn't my call to say so xD

• Like 1

I don't think colours been used to distinguish staff is that important because if users want to know who the staff are, this is the best place to know it: https://animeforums.net/staff/. I think that link needs to be more accessible on the navigation bar.

But moving on, I think colours can be used in a specific way to distinguish staff and give the users some colour options to customise their profile with. For example a setup like this can be used:-

Admins- Red Name

Mods- Cyan Name

Users will have Orange, Green and Violet names to choose from. These colours can be shop items, could be a trophy prize or could be given by default.

Anyone who is a frequent user to the forum will know that red and cyan names are staff and the rest of the colour names are normal users.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rohan Winchester said:

But moving on, I think colours can be used in a specific way to distinguish staff and give the users some colour options to customise their profile with. For example a setup like this can be used:-

Admins- Red Name

Mods- Cyan Name

Users will have Orange, Green and Violet names to choose from. These colours can be shop items, could be a trophy prize or could be given by default.

The problem with this is that you will have to have a system devised where the Core is able to distinguish safely what colors are off limits and what colors can be used.  For example, you'd have to spec-out the hex codes associated with the colors you want to allow users to choose from.  This sounds well and good, but it rapidly becomes a very large and redundant code structure.

sid=1, usercolor=true, usercode=3 - these are examples of an SQL entry.  The problem is you have to define what "3" means somewhere.  That being said...

...the suggestions of staff banners are what I have used in the past on other forums, and they tended to work.  The only thing that may need to be examined is making sure that if someone is using a specific theme, the code is smart enough to know if the userhex (in this case (and maybe the case of the plugin)) is the same color as the content background.  I'd imagine some guy on IPS already thought of this too - so that makes the whole thing of writing up a separate set of codes moot - a good thing.  

I'm rambling...a by-product of being tired.

Point is, all or nothing is easier than defining a restriction. 

Edited by The History Kid

Badges and username colors honestly both would be pretty funny. I would like to see both in the future. Would make it a bit more fun as well as more personal.

• Like 2