Post Your Anime List

Seshi

1 hour ago, Soramee_ said:

I don't know why i put that score even if i really liked fate/zero 😅.

8 isn't a bad score, it still means a great show (I think) I just personally elevate Zero over Apocrypha. 

Might be because it was written by Gen Urobuchi. 

Or because it got my favourite waifu I. It. Probably a bit of both. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

However personally Fate Zero score and writing along with its lore compelling narrative themes and motives elevate it above Apocrypha. 

Fate Zero is absolutely epic. I started Stay/Night before watching Zero, but set it aside for reasons I don’t remember. I really need to watch it in it’s entirety & UBW as well. I watched Lord El Melloi since the MC was Waver Velvet as an adult & it seemed like him coming to terms with his relationship to Iskander (Rider) was part of the story. But personally felt like it got bogged down in it’s explanations of it’s rules & intricacies of magic/sorcery/alchemy (still feel like I kinda get it, but kinda don’t :P ) I also watched some of FGO, but it didn’t really seem to re-capture what I loved about Zero. Haven’t watched any of the Netflix exclusive Fate series. I would highly recommend Vinland Saga which is one of the few other series I consider to be epic. My jaw was on the floor when the title of season 1’s final ep was revealed to be “End of Epilogue”. Season 2 has been greenlit, but no word on when to expect. And the music was awesome

[/spoiler]

Edited by Ohayotaku

32 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Fate Zero is absolutely epic. I started Stay/Night before watching Zero, but set it aside for reasons I don’t remember. I really need to watch it in it’s entirety & UBW as well.

I also watched some of FGO, but it didn’t really seem to re-capture what I loved about Zero.

Fate Zero was the only series in the Fate Franchise penned by Gen Urobuchi. Nasu write the stay night visual novel which were adapted into three anime. You got Fate Stay Night by Studio Deen and the film version of unlimited Blade Works. 

Ufotable did the Unlimited Blade Works series and Heaven Feel trilogy of films. 

I've liked all the Fate I've watched even Shafts Fate Extra, but Zero is clearly the best in the bunch followed closely by Unlimited Blade Works - the animation in that show blows my mind. 

• Agree 1

@Soramee_ I know my MAL scoring system doesn’t align with most peoples. The general opinion on MAL is if you rate something lower than 7, it’s not really worth your time. But for me, a 6 series may have obvious or persistent flaws, but still manages to be entertaining/enjoyable. And I’m extremely stingy when it comes to 9s & 10s. It’s kind of hard for me to score shows that feel dated or clearly aren’t high quality, but I still like them alot. I’ve been trying to tweak my scores a bit recently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

And I’m extremely stingy when it comes to 9s & 10s. It’s kind of hard for me to score shows that feel dated or clearly aren’t high quality, but I still like them alot. I’ve been trying to tweak my scores a bit recently.

It might seem werid, but I'm often forgiving of older shows - such as Fate Stay Night by Studio Deen. Whilst it doesn't hold a candle to Fate Zero, UBW or HF by Ufotable got a show made in 2006 it still very well made. 

Obviously if somthing was trash in its time, it can still be trash today. Such as Mars of Destruction or Cipher. Those are god awful. And not just cause there old. 

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

It might seem werid, but I'm often forgiving of older shows - such as Fate Stay Night by Studio Deen. Whilst it doesn't hold a candle to Fate Zero, UBW or HF by Ufotable got a show made in 2006 it still very well made. 

Lol that’s what you thought of when I said “dated” 🤣 The example I was thinking of is I rated the original Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) from 1974 a 10, but only rate Fate Zero a 9. My reasoning being, Star Blazers was my introduction to “anime”. And even in it’s heavily edited form, at it’s core is a genocidal invasion by aliens. Every episode ended with a Doomsday Countdown to when the damage to Earth’s atmosphere/environment would be irreversible, dooming humanity to extinction. Certainly not the sort of thing you expected to he airing alongside Tom & Jerry or Scooby Doo. Blew my preteen mind. And the characters did grow as individuals, fall in love & in some cases even die. And I don’t remember when it I discovered that the “Argo” was actually the “Yamato” ( a WW2 Japanese battleship sunk by America). Even setting aside my personal nostalgia, the fact there was sufficient interest to spawn the recent updated film versions demonstrates it’s enduring legacy. And even though I admit the original version feels very dated with it’s artstyle & fashion sense, there are actually some story elements I prefer over the updates. So I stand behind my scoring decision.

Edited by Ohayotaku

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

Lol that’s what you thought of when I said “dated” 🤣 The example I was thinking of is I rated the original Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) from 1974 a 10, but only rate Fate Zero a 9. My reasoning being, Star Blazers was my introduction to “anime”. 

Yeah my foray into anime was Fate/Zero so I put that at a 10, I've never seen the old yamato but the remake I've seen. I gave the first season of the reboot a nine, cause it was really good. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to see how everyone determines how to rate an anime. Do you simply go off of the 1-10 on MAL or do you have your own standards? 

For reference, here is the MAL rating scale... 

1- Appalling

2- Horrible

3- Very bad

4- Bad

5- Average

6- Fine

7- Good

8- Very Good

9- Great

10- Masterpiece

and here is my personal rating scale... 

10- I would suggest this to every anime lover or newbie and probably won’t ever stop talking about it. Highly recommended.

9- Everyone interested in this genre should watch this show. Excellent characters, plot, and production. Highly recommended.

8- This had good characters and plot, but some parts could be improved. Recommended.

7- This had decent characters or plot, but lacked quality in development and execution. Recommended for mindless entertainment.

6- If you’re bored with extra time with no other show to watch, you could maybe watch this. 

5- This had one potentially good part or character, but overall pretty awful. Would not recommend. 

4- I only finished it because I wanted to know what happened in the end; don't watch this. 

3- I managed to get through the story, but it was a waste of my time. 

2- I watched the a few episodes and deeply regretted it.

1- I couldn’t even make it through the first episode. 

I posted, but then thought of this, so here's my list again! 

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/ohnoitsanotaku

16 hours ago, ohnoitsanotaku said:

10- I would suggest this to every anime lover or newbie and probably won’t ever stop talking about it. Highly recommended.

9- Everyone interested in this genre should watch this show. Excellent characters, plot, and production. Highly recommended.

8- This had good characters and plot, but some parts could be improved. Recommended.

7- This had decent characters or plot, but lacked quality in development and execution. Recommended for mindless entertainment.

6- If you’re bored with extra time with no other show to watch, you could maybe watch this. 

5- This had one potentially good part or character, but overall pretty awful. Would not recommend. 

4- I only finished it because I wanted to know what happened in the end; don't watch this. 

3- I managed to get through the story, but it was a waste of my time. 

2- I watched the a few episodes and deeply regretted it.

1- I couldn’t even make it through the first episode. 

You know I like that, it pretty close to how I view things. Your point on eight almost mirrors what I feel about all might eight out of tens, very good but room for improvement but still something I'd easily recommend. Not sure how I rank 7, I don't necessarily see 7 as mindless entertainment because I put the original EVA series as a seven and that show isn't mindless. 

I think for how I define a 7 is that the show is lacking something, that might be direction, pacing. But it still a good show. 5 is my average, so 6 is above average and 4 below average. I try to steer clear of anime that more likely going to irk me into throwing it down into 5 territory. As a result the bottom of my list and how I define 'bad anime' is pretty hard. I suppose it going on instinct - I hated MD Geist and gave that a 3, but Kokoro Connect was somthing I couldn't even sit threw so easy 2.

As for my top scores, I don't really worry if something needs to be accessible to newbies or the elites holy grail on Anime it just, if I consider it a masterpiece and constantly find myself reflecting on the show its got to be a 10 out of 10. I often see my 10 out of 10s there for as very subjective and they could easily find themselves as 9 or 8's in someone else's list.

For example my top show Monster isn't something I'm gonna recommend a newbie who might have only watched Pokémon because that just impossible to expect. But it's still a masterpiece in my opinion. 

17 hours ago, ohnoitsanotaku said:

Just checked you're anime list out and trust me, you got to give Stein's Gate another chance. Currently sitting on three episodes and believe me that show get good. Really good. 

Also I'll repost my anime list, cause it probably buried somewhere in this thread and I haven't link it to my posts because I have no idea how

AnimePedestrian's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

55 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

Also I'll repost my anime list, cause it probably buried somewhere in this thread and I haven't link it to my posts because I have no idea how

I have mine referenced on my profile page, but it’s also supposed to be included in my signature, but I’m not seeing it. Not sure if it’s because I’m viewing it on my phone or if the functionality is broken.. 

6 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

I have mine referenced on my profile page, but it’s also supposed to be included in my signature, but I’m not seeing it. Not sure if it’s because I’m viewing it on my phone or if the functionality is broken.. 

I see it, you're always appears under every post. So you link the MAL profile you you're signature?

Edit:

Just added a signature to my MAL. Now to make some funny gifs later. 

Edited by MediaConsumesMe
Just updating
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

You know I like that, it pretty close to how I view things. Your point on eight almost mirrors what I feel about all might eight out of tens, very good but room for improvement but still something I'd easily recommend. Not sure how I rank 7, I don't necessarily see 7 as mindless entertainment because I put the original EVA series as a seven and that show isn't mindless. 

I think for how I define a 7 is that the show is lacking something, that might be direction, pacing. But it still a good show. 5 is my average, so 6 is above average and 4 below average. I try to steer clear of anime that more likely going to irk me into throwing it down into 5 territory. As a result the bottom of my list and how I define 'bad anime' is pretty hard. I suppose it going on instinct - I hated MD Geist and gave that a 3, but Kokoro Connect was somthing I couldn't even sit threw so easy 2.

As for my top scores, I don't really worry if something needs to be accessible to newbies or the elites holy grail on Anime it just, if I consider it a masterpiece and constantly find myself reflecting on the show its got to be a 10 out of 10. I often see my 10 out of 10s there for as very subjective and they could easily find themselves as 9 or 8's in someone else's list.

For example my top show Monster isn't something I'm gonna recommend a newbie who might have only watched Pokémon because that just impossible to expect. But it's still a masterpiece in my opinion. 

Just checked you're anime list out and trust me, you got to give Stein's Gate another chance. Currently sitting on three episodes and believe me that show get good. Really good. 

AnimePedestrian's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

I'm glad to hear it!! It helps me so much when I'm talking to others about a show I love or didn't like and why. I'm a chronic binge watcher and my hubs always gets on me for not taking in the content meaningfully lol so I decided to do something about it! I made my rating scale and joined a bunch of forums and subreddits and such and I've been really loving chatting with other people. I don't really have a lot of friends that are into anime/manga, so I never realized how fun it is to chat with other about it. 

The reason Steins;Gate is only at 3 eps is because I was really distracted watching the first 2 episodes and got lost really fast. I need to go back and watch it!! It's next up on my watch list actually! Funny that you noticed that haha 

I'll go check out your list! I'm sure I'll find some gems. :)

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 10:23 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

You watched Kokoro Connect too? And also thought it was terrible. I'm not alone. Also good scores, on the anime you've watched so far.

Yeah, I didn't like it very much even though I enjoy most of anime I watch

7 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

always read the synopsis of a show before you sit down to watch

Good idea in principle.  Not always practicable however.  Crunchy's show descriptions usually leave something to be desired for instance.  (And even that assumes their web site or app will display it properly in the first place.) 

I generally live by the 3-episode rule.  I'll give pretty much anything that much of a chance, and I have found a few unexpected gems that way.  If a show hasn't hooked me by then however then I'll probably skip the rest of it.

10 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Good idea in principle.  Not always practicable however.  Crunchy's show descriptions usually leave something to be desired for instance.  (And even that assumes their web site or app will display it properly in the first place.) 

I generally live by the 3-episode rule.  I'll give pretty much anything that much of a chance, and I have found a few unexpected gems that way.  If a show hasn't hooked me by then however then I'll probably skip the rest of it.

The three episode rule; is the most important rule to live by for any anime fan.

I do find it interesting when a show has a brilliant first episode and you imminently know this is going to be good shows like Steins Gate.

• 4 weeks later...

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/AldarionT

On 1/26/2022 at 12:52 PM, MediaConsumesMe said:

The three episode rule; is the most important rule to live by for any anime fan.

I do find it interesting when a show has a brilliant first episode and you imminently know this is going to be good shows like Steins Gate.

Yes, most times I watch first three episodes and then make a decision. Even when I knew from the first episode that a show is worth watching (e.g. Casshern Sins), I usually only realized how good it was by third episode or so.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I posted my top 10 anime series list a while back, so here's my top 10 anime movies.

1. Laputa Castle in the Sky.
2. Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.
3. The Place Promised in our Early Days.
4. Your Name.
5. My Neighbour Totoro.
6. Whisper of the Heart.
7. Violet Evergarden- Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll.
8. Voices of a Distant Star.
9. Only Yesterday.
10.Macross: Do You Remember Love?

7 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I posted my top 10 anime series list a while back, so here's my top 10 anime movies.

When it comes to anime, I have a definite preference for series over movies. Plus, I don’t seem to be as fond of Ghibli or highly dramatic/emotional stories (tearjerkers) as a lot of fans.  Nonetheless here’s some of my favorite anime movies

ORIGINAL/Stand Alone

Princess Mononoke

Patema Inverted

Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Perfect Blue

Black Fox

Expelled From Paradise

Mary & the Witch’s Flower

Summer Wars

SERIES/Franchise

My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

Project A-ko

Ranma 1/2: Nihao My Concubine

Little Witch Academia: Enchanted Parade

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

Dirty Pair: Project Eden

Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Violet Evergarden: The Movie

Re:Zero Frozen Bond

Galaxy Express 999

3 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

When it comes to anime, I have a definite preference for series over movies. Plus, I don’t seem to be as fond of Ghibli or highly dramatic/emotional stories (tearjerkers) as a lot of fans.  Nonetheless here’s some of my favorite anime movies

ORIGINAL/Stand Alone

Princess Mononoke

Patema Inverted

Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Perfect Blue

Black Fox

Expelled From Paradise

Mary & the Witch’s Flower

Summer Wars

SERIES/Franchise

My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

Project A-ko

Ranma 1/2: Nihao My Concubine

Little Witch Academia: Enchanted Parade

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

Dirty Pair: Project Eden

Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Violet Evergarden: The Movie

Re:Zero Frozen Bond

Galaxy Express 999

I'm with you on preferring series to movies.

My pet dislike in movies are the ones that are just a retelling of the series. I don't think it's possible to compress 5 or 10 hours of a series into a 90 minute movie without cutting out a lot of the context of the story, and what's often worse is that they make changes to the story which can sometimes be fairly major changes. In my view the best movies based on series are the ones that are either sequels or side-stories.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I'm with you on preferring series to movies.

My pet dislike in movies are the ones that are just a retelling of the series. I don't think it's possible to compress 5 or 10 hours of a series into a 90 minute movie without cutting out a lot of the context of the story, and what's often worse is that they make changes to the story which can sometimes be fairly major changes. In my view the best movies based on series are the ones that are either sequels or side-stories.

I remember hearing during the Code Geass Remake movies they made a lot of changes. Same goes for the Rebuild movies. I'm also fairly sure there were two Fate Stay Night Reproduction films released and Fate: Unlimited Blade Works the movie by Studio Deen - that one isn't technically a retelling of the series of 2015 cause it predates it. And I'm pretty sure Blue Gender had a condensed version of the series made called 'Blue Gender: the warrior' I've not seen it yet. 

I think my list for anime films are;

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion 
Wings of Honneamise 
Fate: Heavens Feel Presage Flower
Fate: Heavens Feel Lost Butterfly
Akira
Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

I've seen others but I don't really like them all that much, so it be pointless putting them on the list. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...