Kyoto Animation On Fire

Humbby

Soooo, I didnt see this Topic Yet So I made 1.

You might have heard or seen It already but Kyoto Animation has been set on fire.
Currently 13 dead and 38 Injured, Arson even threw liquid On people, not just the building.
I saw this when I just woke up and I couldn't believe It :( It's an amazing anime studio (Also my favorite)
There were 70 people In the building and death count Is steadily rising.
Possible Arson has been found.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

Edit: 33 Confirmed Dead, Arson said Kyoto Ripped him off, Currently 819k $ have been donated

Edited by Humbby
  • Sad 2

According to nbs news and according to independent its over over 30 dead and over 30 more injured. 23 dead seems to be to common number overall now, though its always hard to assess the numbers in a short amount of time - putting out the fire usually takes some time...

According to many new sited the perpetrator shouted "Die" (or "Die thieves") - now, one can assume many, many reasons why someone would do something like this but personal problems with a specific employee seems unlikely to me (though, its just my amateur opinion on this). Perhaps a disgruntled fan or an ex-employee? The motive and full extend of the damage will probably be be uncovered in the next few days.

Also, one has to wonder, what effect this will have on KyoAni's anime production...

Edited by leinwandname
  • Like 1

This is absolutely terrible and extremely unfortunate news!  It angers me so much that some people have no problem harming others.  Obviously this guy was sick in the head!  I pray for the injured to get better, and for the families of the lost to find strength.

I had been eyeing K-ON for awhile now and decided to finally make the purchase today in hopes that the sale goes to help benefit Kyoto.

Besides buying their product I'm also going to donate something on the side.  God bless Kyoto.

• Friendly 1

What a tragedy 😞 it’s sad that people everywhere are turning to mass destruction more than ever- a topic for a different time. 

Its sad, I will pray for the families and the studio family and I do hope the animation studio does not suffer in their productions. 

Sounds like this may promote their studio in light of such a tragedy if anything. It’s more of a personal loss I think.

9 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Wasn't a former employee. I'm thinking it was the former-- very disgruntled fan who was clearly unhinged. No matter the case, very sad people had to lose their lives because of this lunatic. They were just trying to do some honest work and to be frank it's already a gruesomely underpaid and overworked field. 

Kyoto Animation Is different from other Studios (From What I've heard and read)
Kyoto Actually gives them normal contracts, no Unrealistic Deadlines and enough money for a living.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

3 hours ago, Humbby said:

Kyoto Animation Is different from other Studios (From What I've heard and read)
Kyoto Actually gives them normal contracts, no Unrealistic Deadlines and enough money for a living.

Yeah, KyoAni is a considerably popular studio among animators due to their human work environment and often hiring newer animators too. (I think they have this program or facility where they train new animators?)

From what I've read the arsonist was angry because KyoAni supposedly ripped off one of his ideas - He was supposedly a LN author who published online and had entered a competition were KyoAni allegedly stole his idea for an anime or something like that... Artists who killed people that allegedly stole their idea has happened in the part and there doesn't even need to be some kind of mentally ill person for this to happen, so perhaps he will have to face full punishment in prison, perhaps even capital punishment, rather than being incarcerated in a special facility for the dangerous mentally ill. But yeah, anything at this point is just speculation.

We'll have to wait what the following weeks(s) bring. The arsonist himself suffered burns an is currently in a hospital so getting any info from him might take a while.

• Informative 1

I just saw this for the first time this morning and that's really heart breaking :C They make some lovely art and some animes that I have enjoyed in the past too.

I really want to know what he motive for something like an attack on an animation studio would be because judging by the fact he was shouting "Die" outside of it according to some of the reports, it sounds kinda personal.

4 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Coincidentally saw a video from the Guardian about this. I thought it was great that even such a rather 'traditional' news outlet would report on it and even include some of their titles

It’s tremendous news. It’s a huge deal, I’m hoping that people everywhere will want to support the studio and that’s why they want to report on it. There are anime fans in every line of work, perhaps one of them from the guardian picked this up. 

• 4 years later...