The Lion King

Sakura

Has anyone gone to see the new Lion King movie yet?

If so did you like it? Was it as good as the original? Would you recommend seeing it?

I haven't gone yet, I want to see it though since I loved the cartoon movie as a kid and the trailers make it look like it's going to be great.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it came out yesterday or today. I thought it was today. 

I've been seeing a lot of people on social media saying it wasn't that great and an assortment of mixed reviews ;/

I'm just hoping they didn't ruin my favorite childhood movie lol.

• Like 1

Aww yeah. That'll take most of your time right there.

I was hoping to go see it today for my birthday, but still on bed rest so that isn't going to happen yet. I may end up having to wait until the home release myself. But I was looking forward to the theater experience.

5 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

Seeing how its gotten really bad reviews I might skip it, and just watch Kimba the White lion. Seeing how lion king pretty much got there idea from it. 

I loved Kimba the white lion!! I haven't seen it since I was very young, is it getting a remake too? Or did you just like it better than the lion king in general?

@Serge heartless I have never seen Kimba, I am going to have to look that up and watch it since I'm sure it is able to be found online?

This is what I was worrying about that they ruined the movie lol. It was probably my favorite movie as a kid and I wanted them to do it decently x_X

1 minute ago, Seshi said:

I’m going to see it tomorrow @Sofi I’ll let you know what I think 🤗

Awesome! I hope it's at least decent.

20 minutes ago, Seshi said:

From the makers of Jungle book, and I enjoyed that one. Shouldn’t be too bad. I have my hopes up at least.

Going to make my daughter 🤗

I liked the Jungle Book movie, and despite the bad reviews about Aladdin, I liked that too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sofi said:

I liked the Jungle Book movie, and despite the bad reviews about Aladdin, I liked that too. 

Haven’t seen Aladdin yet either 😍 that’s another good one to look forward to then

9 minutes ago, Banri said:

I've not seen this release of the Lion King yet, but have noticed it being advertised quite heavily recently, the trailer looks incredible to me

The trailer looked great to me too, that's why I thought it would be amazing, but the reviews I've seen have mostly all been negative :/

2 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Haven’t seen Aladdin yet either 😍 that’s another good one to look forward to then

I thought Aladdin was great, which again, the reviews and things for it weren't so good but I personally enjoyed it. 

Yep it came out yesterday, honestly have been waiting ages for it, luckily came out on my birthday so had a good enough reason to see it haha.

But yeah in my opinion it was honestly amazing, as good as the original and arguably better in some aspects.

I'd definitely go see it again and recommend anyone to go see it!  

2 minutes ago, Metro said:

Yep it came out yesterday, honestly have been waiting ages for it, luckily came out on my birthday so had a good enough reason to see it haha.

But yeah in my opinion it was honestly amazing, as good as the original and arguably better in some aspects.

I'd definitely go see it again and recommend anyone to go see it!  

Lol that was my plan originally, my birthday is today, and I was going to see it today and was really excited it came out around this time, but I'm on bed rest after surgery so there's none of that happening yet lol.

I'm glad to hear something positive about it though because most of what I've heard has been negative! I still want to see it regardless so I can find out for myself. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sofi said:

The trailer looked great to me too, that's why I thought it would be amazing, but the reviews I've seen have mostly all been negative :/

For me, I think it's better to experience something of interest instead of focusing on reviews, for example I've watched anime in the past where the reviews were terrible but I'd absolutely love the shows

1 minute ago, Sofi said:

I still want to see it regardless so I can find out for myself. 

I think that's the best decision :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sofi said:

Lol that was my plan originally, my birthday is today, and I was going to see it today and was really excited it came out around this time, but I'm on bed rest after surgery so there's none of that happening yet lol.

I'm glad to hear something positive about it though because most of what I've heard has been negative! I still want to see it regardless so I can find out for myself. 

I feel like majority of the negative reviews are people who haven't enjoyed any of the remakes such as how Aladdin and Dumbo didn't receive that well.

I wouldn't say it lives up the magic that the original created but that would be impossible to do but it does it's job as a remake with an amazing cast, breath taking CGI and just a unique take on the original while keeping it practically the same. 

It's not for everyone but definitely worth a shot 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Metro
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Metro said:

I feel like majority of the negative reviews are people who haven't enjoyed any of the remakes such as how Aladdin and Dumbo didn't receive that well.

I wouldn't say it lives up the magic that the original created but that would be impossible to do but it does it's job as a remake with an amazing cast, breath taking CGI and just a unique take on the original while keeping it practically the same. 

It's not for everyone but definitely worth a shot 🤷‍♂️

I feel like part of the magic of the original was being so young and enjoying it as a child.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 3

Since I said I'd let you know how it went, I will let ya know - I enjoyed it very much. It was a really nostalgic and happy experience seeing it again. 

I thought the voice acting for scar wasn't as dramatic as the original - it left more to be desired, but since he's not the main character I can forgive that. Simba and Mufasas voices were on point. 

There were more comical elements added in from current culture and the songs weren't the original to the T. So be aware, the songs were for the most part all slightly altered in lyric or style. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Since I said I'd let you know how it went, I will let ya know - I enjoyed it very much. It was a really nostalgic and happy experience seeing it again. 

I thought the voice acting for scar wasn't as dramatic as the original - it left more to be desired, but since he's not the main character I can forgive that. Simba and Mufasas voices were on point. 

There were more comical elements added in from current culture and the songs weren't the original to the T. So be aware, the songs were for the most part all slightly altered in lyric or style. 

Oh good! I'm glad it was decent I was worried it might be not as good the original. 

That's a shame though, Scar was my favorite, I always like the bad guys in the movies xD. 

Agghhh the songs is what helped make it for me before lol. The Lion King songs were some of my favorite Disney movie songs, especially "Can You Feel The Love Tonight". 

2 minutes ago, Sofi said:

Oh good! I'm glad it was decent I was worried it might be not as good the original. 

That's a shame though, Scar was my favorite, I always like the bad guys in the movies xD. 

Agghhh the songs is what helped make it for me before lol. The Lion King songs were some of my favorite Disney movie songs, especially "Can You Feel The Love Tonight". 

From what I remember, your favorite song was the same, or very close.

Well I'm sorry to say, he's nowhere near as dramatic here.

Pumbas song was really funny. The song where simba and nalah run away from zazu is different in theatrics. 

Youll just have to watch it and take it all in afresh. It was nice 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, Seshi said:

From what I remember, your favorite song was the same, or very close.

Well I'm sorry to say, he's nowhere near as dramatic here.

Pumbas song was really funny. The song where simba and nalah run away from zazu is different in theatrics. 

Youll just have to watch it and take it all in afresh. It was nice 👍🏻

Definitely going to go see it as soon as I am able to go places again because I'm really curious. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, Sofi said:

so far jeremy jahns and chris stuckmann are the only reviewers I watch. Most of the live action Disney movies haven't done well. Like beautiful and the beast, dumbo and now lion king. Theres nothing wrong with the old animated versions of these movies. Disney has claimed before they didn't know about kimball the white lion, even though they copied a lot from it.

• Like 1