Zen Wistaria

Which do you prefer, subs, dubs or both?

Subs only.  I feel like dubs are unnecessary, although I would have to pay more attention to it.  I would watch without subs if I understood Japanese :D

18 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

I haven't seen the latter, but Ghost Stories was exactly what I had in mind writing that~

There was a commentary on that once upon a time where the cast got pressed on how those recordings went down.  If I recall right, -- I can't remember if it was Greg or someone else -- basically said "these were the Friday night drinks-after-work-at-work recordings."  It certainly shows.

For the most part I prefer subs. Although sometimes I'm lazy and just watch dubs, although it also depends on how good or bad the voice acting is and if the dubs changes the dialogue much. Baccano! has a great English voice acting cast though.

Ayy, bada bing, bada boom!

If it's done right then I prefer dubs but a lot of the time the voices just don't work so I end up watching a subbed one. 

I used to think I prefer subs over dubs, but honestly I enjoy both! Dubs can be nice because we usually wind up watching stuff while we're eating, and it can be hard to follow subtitles when you're trying to fork food into your mouth haha. If I like the way the dub sounds, then I'll probably choose that. If it's awful, then I try subs instead and choose whichever one I like the sound of more.

I prefer subs if they are available. I can understand maximum of their dialogues due to watching anime all these years so at this point, I'd even prefer raw anime since I don't need to look at the subtitles much. But a few series, I feel like the dubs are better than the subs. Like Ghost Stories and Pokemon. Although I liked watching a few episodes which were only subbed in Pokemon but the names and voices are just too different from the dub. I'm so used to hearing dubs of Pokemon that hearing the voices and reading the subs felt weird to me.

• Like 2

I also prefer the subs, or often just the original audio with the subtitles off entirely.  I'll have to take your word for some dubs being better though.  To be honest I don't listen to dubs much at all.  I'm a super fast reader (like, a whole novel between bedtime and breakfast) and I understand a lot of spoken Japanese, so after a few bad experiences with dubs I just don't even go there anymore.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I also prefer the subs, or often just the original audio with the subtitles off entirely.  I'll have to take your word for some dubs being better though.  To be honest I don't listen to dubs much at all.  I'm a super fast reader (like, a whole novel between bedtime and breakfast) and I understand a lot of spoken Japanese, so after a few bad experiences with dubs I just don't even go there anymore.

Oh, me too! The only dubs I've listened to are of Pokemon and Ghost Stories but other than that, all of the anime I've watched are subbed. I once tried to watch the abridged version of Fairy Tail (in English) and it felt strange. Like it's not the Natsu or Lucy I'm used to. I stopped it at the first episode.
And yes, I'm a super fast reader as well. Especially if it's a novel I really like.

Both. It depends but I lean more on dubs because I like to soak in the artistry of the anime and sometimes, it can get difficult to read fast dialogue. Especially between multiple people, whilst taking in the visuals. That and sometimes some critical narratives get lost in translation and become somewhat confusing. I'll never get over a lot of classic dubs though. Devilman for example. It's so hilarious that watching it any other way would be absolutely taboo.

I do appreciate the extra information you can get from subs. Like quick explanations and historical facts to some terminology in discussion. Like, monetization or slang used during the Ming Dynasty, etc.

for me it will totally depend on what I am doing, if i am pottering round the house or eating etc dubs is easier for me. I will watch subs if i am totally focused on a series. I think they both have a place mainly because dubs can help get people into anime in the first place, I think subs can take a bit of practice especially when younger generations spend a lot of time buried in their phones

I don't mind, if I'm watching something casually I'll probably watch the dub. If the dub takes away from the experience though? I'll watch sub.

Generally I prefer dub. But sub just has a different feeling to it. Somehow more authentic or something like that. Emotions definetly get me more in dubs (when they are good^^), because the reading distracts me to an extreme extent and I dont really ingest (not sure about that word) the pictures anymore. Also specific scenes or lines stay in my memories far better when dubbed, because I can combine visuals and accustics and so its just a stronger experience. The only anime I watched first subbed, then dubbed was Scums Wish and it comrifmed exactly that. Still I liked the sub more here, because it just felt more, as I said, authentic, more fitting, more right. I dont know. Its just a completely different style of voicing

edit: Most important: never again I will watch the same anime in sub AND dub

Edited by eCapter
crucial information were missing
  • Like 1

I like it all :3 As long as the dubbing isn't terrible. If it's bad...it can still be okay if it's so bad it's funny XD

I lost some hearing when I was a kid...and probably even more from going to concerts, but I always have the subtitles on even if it's dubbed or a just a show in English.

Sometimes I like the voice actors in one better than the other, so I guess it just depends :D 

i like subs better.. i think dubs could be better done, but in the us the same people are used over and over again, the redone scripts are bad, and the voice acting is unnatural and embarrassing. not to say that the original voice actors dont exaggerate, but the english ones are just trying too hard. people don't really talk that way.