Most upsetting anime you've ever watched (and absolutely enjoyed)?

Zen Wistaria

For me, a feel good anime is one which I can get lost in, and maybe even emotionally wrecked from watching, some anime which have affected me are A Silent Voice, Orange and Your Name.

What anime (if any) have emotionally wrecked you, and you still absolutely enjoyed it because of how much it affected you?

• Like 1

Anime Series: Erased, Darker than Black, D. Gray Man, ReLife, Your lie in April, Pandora Hearts and Zetsuen no Tempest.

Anime Movies: Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms, A Silent Voice and Crystal Sky of Yesterday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yuri on Ice, just because it was a huge push, especially for figure skaters that thought they were never going to be good enough.

Of course, Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)

Mirai Nikki. I know this is a little weird to put, but I was so mad whenever Yuki got picked on by little witch Yuno Gasai. Yuki didn’t deserve that tbh.

Shikioriori and Miss Hokusai were really depressing for a ton of reasons, but the outcomes were mostly great.

• Like 1

A Place Further Than The Universe. The buildup throughout the series culminating in the laptop scene wrecked me.
Higurashi, the ending to the Massacre Arc, end the manga ending of the Eye Opening Arc.
Steins;Gate, Suzuha's letter.

• Like 1

Plastic Memories was wonderful and had this effect on me most profoundly. Angel Beats, Orange, Your Lie in April, and Koe no Katachi were all really emotionally hard-hitting as well, and they all ended up being anime that I won't forget about any time soon

• Like 1

Code Geass and Angel Beats. Not gonna lie I got pretty emotional for both when my favorite characters died but in Code Geass I got sooo mad and sad in season 2 when my girl was killed and still I rewatch them because I enjoy them so much. 

Cowboy Bebop. Yeah the ending of course. But for me the truly tragic character is Faye (clip is an AMV don’t watch unless you’re ok with possible spoilers.

The scene of her lying down in the rubble where her childhood bedroom used to be is absolutely heart wrenching. And repeatedly firing her gun to try and keep Spike from leaving to confront Vicious. So sad to find that not only can she not return to her old home, but her new “family” is torn apart. 

But for me it’s that emotional impact and feeling genuine attachment and grief for the characters that makes it a masterpiece. To end it any other way would be to cheapen it IMO (talking to you “Spike is Alive” conspiracy theorists)

Edited by Ohiotaku

• 5 months later...

Made in Abyss absolutely takes the cake with this. At the beginning, even with the odd dark hints, I felt this childlike nostalgia like what I had as a kid with all those adventure stories/games, but even when I got hit by a big spoiler nothing prepared me for the final arc of the anime. The 'freedom' a certain character has gotten, that scene, will stay with me for a long, long time. Despite this, I cant wait to see more.

There were scenes in Yuri on Ice that were painfully relatable, especially in the first few eps. I lost a dog due to old age last Summer so the restroom scene always destroy me. Other than that the series is a work of art.

I'd agree with Wolf's Rain.  Also Angel Beats!, Your Lie in April, Clannad: After Story, and AnoHana (that I can think of offhand) all had an episode or two that was pretty intense.

• Like 1

So I am going to have to say for me that would have to be Yu Yu Hakusho. I can't ever get enough of the series its by far one of my favs even today though without spoiling anything here I will say the latter half or so of the series while good was a bit disappointing as apposed to the first half. Just to all over rte place/ Not to mention for me it ended on a not so good note. Though as a whole still is in my favs, and always will be. It is didn't hold as the series went on.

• Like 1

Gotta say the one anime series that hit me the most (but I absolutely love) is Wolf's Rain. I still cry everytime I watch it. 

Tsume used to be my favorite (I was always obsessed with the bada** type characters when I was a kid) but in recent years I've come to love Toboe because of his caring, gentle and innocent nature. He always found the good in even the most cruelest of people. 

For an anime movie it's definitely a cross between When Marnie Was There and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It pulls at my heart strings every time I watch it.

Edited by EnviousEnvy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Gotta say the one anime series that hit me the most (but I absolutely love) is Wolf's Rain. I still cry everytime I watch it. 

Tsume used to be my favorite (I was always obsessed with the bada** type characters when I was a kid) but in recent years I've come to love Toboe because of his caring, gentle and innocent nature. He always found the good in even the most cruelest of people. 

For an anime movie it's definitely a cross between When Marnie Was There and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It pulls at my heart strings every time I watch it.

Wolf's Rain is such an under appreciated masterpiece. The ending is awesomely gut wrenching. 

Casshern Sins is a pretty depressing one as well with the whole show basically being about death, or the value of it. The twins arc from Black Lagoon was tragic but also flat out disturbing as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Violet Evergarden.....I mean common, each episode pulls at all the heart strings. I don't think I've cried that much watching an anime in such a long time. Albeit I am a bit sensitive towards emotional...everything lolol I'm so glad I watched it though. I want to read the manga and hope the second series comes out (I read they planned on making one?) Also heard the manga was different to the anime. Either way, I couldn't stop watching it and needed so many Kleenexes. Haha