Kazuto Kirigaya

Most upsetting anime you've ever watched (and absolutely enjoyed)?

For me, a feel good anime is one which I can get lost in, and maybe even emotionally wrecked from watching, some anime which have affected me are A Silent Voice, Orange and Your Name.

What anime (if any) have emotionally wrecked you, and you still absolutely enjoyed it because of how much it affected you?

• Like 1

Death note... The loss of a beloved character was very heart wrenching, but I still enjoy watching it. Admittedly I never get past that to the end though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Same as Seshi. Though I did watch the whole show. And it still stands as my number 1 anime.

• Like 2

Anime Series: Erased, Darker than Black, D. Gray Man, ReLife, Your lie in April, Pandora Hearts and Zetsuen no Tempest.

Anime Movies: Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms, A Silent Voice and Crystal Sky of Yesterday.

• Like 2

Your name I agree on and 5 centimeters per second depresses me as well.

• Like 1

Yuri on Ice, just because it was a huge push, especially for figure skaters that thought they were never going to be good enough.

Of course, Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)

Mirai Nikki. I know this is a little weird to put, but I was so mad whenever Yuki got picked on by little witch Yuno Gasai. Yuki didn’t deserve that tbh.

Shikioriori and Miss Hokusai were really depressing for a ton of reasons, but the outcomes were mostly great.

• Like 1

I made the fatal mistake of watching Grave of the Fireflies when I was already feeling a bit down. I cried at several parts of the film.

• Sad 1

A Place Further Than The Universe. The buildup throughout the series culminating in the laptop scene wrecked me.
Higurashi, the ending to the Massacre Arc, end the manga ending of the Eye Opening Arc.
Steins;Gate, Suzuha's letter.

• Like 1

Made in abyss i like how it kinda sikes you out at the beginning. Here i was thinking what is this anime dora the explorer only to find out its dark souls the anime played by children

• Funny 1

Plastic Memories was wonderful and had this effect on me most profoundly. Angel Beats, Orange, Your Lie in April, and Koe no Katachi were all really emotionally hard-hitting as well, and they all ended up being anime that I won't forget about any time soon

• Like 1

Code Geass and Angel Beats. Not gonna lie I got pretty emotional for both when my favorite characters died but in Code Geass I got sooo mad and sad in season 2 when my girl was killed and still I rewatch them because I enjoy them so much. 

Posted (edited)

Cowboy Bebop. Yeah the ending of course. But for me the truly tragic character is Faye (clip is an AMV don’t watch unless you’re ok with possible spoilers.

The scene of her lying down in the rubble where her childhood bedroom used to be is absolutely heart wrenching. And repeatedly firing her gun to try and keep Spike from leaving to confront Vicious. So sad to find that not only can she not return to her old home, but her new “family” is torn apart. 

But for me it’s that emotional impact and feeling genuine attachment and grief for the characters that makes it a masterpiece. To end it any other way would be to cheapen it IMO (talking to you “Spike is Alive” conspiracy theorists)

Edited by Ohiotaku

For me personally think Tokyo raven was a great anime but the ending got me in tears and upset the whole day. But at the same time I really enjoyed this anime.