Old-School Fan Signing In!

Blue Dragon

Hey there!

Soooo...dunno why it took me so long to decide to join an anime forum. Life got busy and I didn't realize how out of touch I was with the anime scene until some of my otaku friends were talking about stuff I'd never heard of.

So...I hope I'm not totally out of place here cause I feel I *may* be older than a lot of the people. Maybe not?  But I want to check out some new animes and manga and get back into it :D

I tend to like the fantasy genre, and that's what I make my own comic about. Love love love Sailor Moon, the first part of Fushigi Yuugi, Rg Veda, Saiyuki/Saiyuki Reload, Bebop, and a ton of older anime. I'm open to suggestions for new ones. Anything resembling Record of Lodoss War would be great, too.

Hope this wasn't too long. I realize no one probably cares about a newby X'D

• Like 3
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Welcome, Blue Dragon. I'm glad you took the time to list some of your favorite anime. I can't believe it! Another Space Opera Fan @Beocat I thought you made that genre up 😛

I'd love to rec you some new anime, maybe share your anime list with us later? (if you have one) 

1506270686_welcome-narutosmall.jpg.24e874037787151f0a26154a36e2b3bb.jpg

Thanks for the welcome!!

Not sure if there's a way to import the list, but a few of my favs listed on my profile:

Sailor Moon, Magic Night Ray Earth, Fushigi Yuugi (first season only)
Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist (both series), Gurran Lagann, Ghost in the Shell
Millennium Actress, Paprika,
FLCL, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue
Akira, Darkside Blue, Vampire Hunter D (both films,) Ninja Scroll (film. Never saw the series)
Princess Mononoke & Howl's Moving Castle

Basically anything that had been sitting in the window of the Block Buster Video that had a faded cover XD

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Thanks for the welcome!!

Not sure if there's a way to import the list, but a few of my favs listed on my profile:

Sailor Moon, Magic Night Ray Earth, Fushigi Yuugi (first season only)
Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist (both series), Gurran Lagann, Ghost in the Shell
Millennium Actress, Paprika,
FLCL, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue
Akira, Darkside Blue, Vampire Hunter D (both films,) Ninja Scroll (film. Never saw the series)
Princess Mononoke & Howl's Moving Castle

Basically anything that had been sitting in the window of the Block Buster Video that had a faded cover XD

Slick! You got some of those on sale huh? :P

Based on your list, I'm pretty useless haha. I mainly watch Shounen anime. If you're interested in watching some new series I'd highly recommend The Rising of the Shield Hero, which recently finished airing this spring. I'd also suggest Demon Slayer (currently airing), I'm gong to be buying that when it comes out. Fruits Basket is currently airing and we have a weekly discussion post in the current airing section if you want to check that out too, its an endearing series. 

@Seshi: Oh! I don't have any anime I'm selling. I'm sorry, I misunderstood XD I traded most of it into Half Priced books (and kept the series near and dear to me :3)
I like some Shounen, I think FMA is that, and I like what I've read of the original Dragon Ball I'm going to get stoned here, but I don't like DBZ XD Oops...

@illusion of Terra: good! I'm 35, so it's nice to know I'll have a handful of peers :D And thank you so much for the thread referral!

Edit: @Glitter spring: Thank you so much! If it's the Sailor Stars, I'm all for it XD (bad joke.)

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

Omg im big fan of sailormoon and other older series myself👻anyway i Nova Welcome you to af and pft im the oldest one here in the group lol im also the ghostly potato of this site

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Welcome, glad you found your way here 😁

Recently there have been a number of old-school anime that have gotten remakes/updates. Some of my personal favorites include Dororo, Fruits Basket, Ushio & Tora and Star Blazers 2199/2202.    Pretty sure SSS Gridman had it’s basis in an older series.  think I saw where Orphen is in the works. I haven’t watched much of Sailor Moon Crystal (my understanding is that it starts out disappointing but gets better and so far has adapted up to the Sailor Moon S part of the series i.e. Sailor Saturn). We also finally got an official English release of the original Sailor Stars season i.e. the Sailor Starlights.

You mentioned several of Satoshi Kon’s works which tend to have complex, strange, psychological stories so maybe try Beautiful Bones, Boogiepop & Others (includes a retelling of the original series), Durarara & Baccano. 

Finally, since you also mention Gurren Lagann maybe try Darling in the Franxx. 

I could go on & on, but I’ve rambled enough (hope I didn’t tire you out). Anyway, hope you like it enough here to stay & participate

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Friendly 1

On 7/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, Asuna Yuki said:

Hi! @Blue Dragon and welcome ^^ I hope you have a great time here and you should be able to catch up on anime here lol. I'm Sofi~ nice to meet you ;D 

Thanks for the welcome! Nice to meet you, too! ^_^

On 7/24/2019 at 4:31 PM, Sasuke said:

Hey there and welcome to the community.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:47 PM, Kazuto Kirigaya said:

Welcome to the Anime Forums community, @Blue Dragon

We're a friendly community and hope you enjoy your stay with us, :)

Thank you both! Everyone here's been super friendly and welcoming! :D

On 7/24/2019 at 8:46 PM, Nova said:

Omg im big fan of sailormoon and other older series myself👻anyway i Nova Welcome you to af and pft im the oldest one here in the group lol im also the ghostly potato of this site

Thank you thank you! Ghostly potato LOL! That's interesting XD I'm re-reading Sailor Moon now. And still loving it after all these years!

On 7/24/2019 at 9:36 PM, Ohiotaku said:

Welcome, glad you found your way here 😁

Recently there have been a number of old-school anime that have gotten remakes/updates. Some of my personal favorites include Dororo, Fruits Basket, Ushio & Tora and Star Blazers 2199/2202.    Pretty sure SSS Gridman had it’s basis in an older series.  think I saw where Orphen is in the works. I haven’t watched much of Sailor Moon Crystal (my understanding is that it starts out disappointing but gets better and so far has adapted up to the Sailor Moon S part of the series i.e. Sailor Saturn). We also finally got an official English release of the original Sailor Stars season i.e. the Sailor Starlights.

You mentioned several of Satoshi Kon’s works which tend to have complex, strange, psychological stories so maybe try Beautiful Bones, Boogiepop & Others (includes a retelling of the original series), Durarara & Baccano. 

Finally, since you also mention Gurren Lagann maybe try Darling in the Franxx. 

I could go on & on, but I’ve rambled enough (hope I didn’t tire you out). Anyway, hope you like it enough here to stay & participate

I heard about the Fruits Basket reboot. I was a little sad the first series never ended. Not sure if the manga is the same, cause I didn't finish it. It looks promising, though, so I may check it out :3 I need to finish Sailor Moon Crystal. I was watching it on Hulu, but we don't have an account, and I haven't been able to see if I can watch more. I know they fixed some of the animation complaints, but I think I got to start of the Black Moon arc before I had to stop.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Gotta start digging for those now :D

On 7/24/2019 at 10:04 PM, Wedgy said:

Nice to have you with us @Blue Dragon! Have you seen Wolf's Rain before? Based on your above list I think you might like it. 

Oh, Wolf's Rain was awesome! It really enjoyed it! I had the two volume manga for a while, but traded it in a few years back. I wouldn't mind a re-watch of it :3

• Like 1