The opposite superpowers of these superpowers?

HakuUzumaki

The opposite superpowers of these superpowers: Regeneration, Intangibility, Invisibility, Shape Shifting, Teleportation, Appendage Manipulations, Planet and weather manipulation, water breathing and space breathing, Danger intuition, Duplication, Magnetism Manipulation, talking to animals & infants?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Opposite of regeneration would be that glass disease where you cannot regenerate bones, i.e. you fall apart. As a superpower it might be something like stopping all regeneration in your opponent?

How about everyone picks and answers one, and when we went through the list, then after one answers one, they add a new one? :) 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Opposite of regeneration would be that glass disease where you cannot regenerate bones, i.e. you fall apart. As a superpower it might be something like stopping all regeneration in your opponent?

How about everyone picks and answers one, and when we went through the list, then after one answers one, they add a new one? :) 

Thanks. 

• Dislike 1
  • Friendly 1

I'll just continue with Intangibility, which is the power to pass through matter.

The opposite as a weakness would be to not be able to pass through anything, which is a little extreme. So I'd say to make it realistic, an opposite superpower might be something like making your enemy stuck in all liquid i.e. your enemy can't even pass through water and is stuck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the listed powers the opposite is simply not being able to do the thing which humans can't so it'd be called being 'normal' at least for humans.

Opposite of regeneration I'd say would be Hemophilia, lacking the ability to clot properly pretty much means you don't heal properly with potentially to die from what would be relatively harmless to somebody who is normal.

By definition the opposite of intangibility would be tangibility something everybody possesses since we interact as if we're solid objects because we're solid objects.

Same as above for invisibility though I'd like to point out the inherent flaw if one were actually invisible you'd be blind while using said power and you'd still emit heat, smell, and would be tangible unless you have some sort of combo power going on so you'd still be pretty easily detected plus humans do have a sort of sixth sense about being able to instinctively feel when an object is near them without it interacting with them in otherwise perceptible fashions.

Opposite of shape shifting would be being particularly rigid so I'd Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva or colloquially referred to as stone skin disease. Joints, connective tissues, organs become ossified and effectively becomes new bone tissue.

Teleportation's opposite would simply be requiring time to relocate to another place instantly of instantly being transported to a new place so every normal human has the opposite of teleportation in that they have to travel from point a to point b.

I'm going to say by appendage manipulation you're referring to the classic bendy superpower and I'd put that in the same vein as shape shifting.

Planet and weather manipulation's opposite would be simply not be able to manipulate the weather spontaneously and humans can't do that, they can however use technology to manipulate the weather but it's not like some guy just decides he wants rain so he goes outside and commands rain out of thin air so humans already have that as well since use of external science doesn't count as a superpower.

Opposite of breathing underwater or in space would simply be not be able to which incidentally nobody would be able to breathe in space there's literally nothing to breathe in space. A reduced lung capacity so one couldn't survive as long could sort of be counted as an opposite though interestingly enough even if humans had some sort of gill system and lung system it'd still not really let you just magically breathe underwater. You'd have to have a system that allowed you to keep regulated pressure in your lungs while breathing through gills otherwise you'd get decompression sickness either from going to deep underwater or when you come out of the water. (yes fish do get decompression sickness often times simply when you pull them out of the water when you're fishing as it's actually far easier for a gill system to get decompression sickness than it is for our lungs. In theory if you took a deep breath of air never releasing it or inhaling you could swim as far down as you want and surface as fast as you want and not suffer from decompression gill system aren't quite that lucky as to being able to in some way prevent it by simply holding their 'breath'.)

The proverbial spider sense, humans actually have that by default. That feeling when you laying there and you feel like you're falling and it wakes you up, that's basically your real life spider sense. Further than that danger intuition is more or less the ability to feel pain, pain is your body saying something isn't right that you should fix it sooner rather than later by say removing your hand from the oven burners and to that there are people who can't feel pain and that's the closest to the opposite you're going to find it's called congenital analgesia.

Duplication is another case of simply not being able to do it and humans can't spontaneously divide into two humans. Cells divide and constantly replace so if you want the opposite of that it'd be called death.

Manipulation of magnetic fields is also something humans can't do however, we actually can innately sense magnetic fields. We as humans are natural compasses we have a tiny iron deposit in our noses that instinctively point us towards magnetic fields which theoretically can be used to discern magnetic North on our planet. Males have larger iron deposits and thus make better compasses so being female would be the closest to being opposite I suppose.

Humans can talk to animals and talk to infants the ability would be able to understand them as if they were speaking a distinguishable language, but even among our own kind if you speak English and somebody you're speaking to speaks German then you're not really communicating with them effectively that said even people who don't understand a single word the other is saying could get some basic thoughts across through body language or something and animals are the same way while we can't discern what each of their noises precisely mean we can get a general idea of what they want without that knowledge so I'd say the inability to do so would be being so self-involved one is completely oblivious to everything else and that'd be an extreme form of hubris or narcissism.

I would like to say the opposite of superpowers would in most case be having superpowers, there isn't really a single traditional 'superpower' that you'd actually want to have. Invisibility doesn't actually make you invisible and you'd be blind. Super Speed you'd be ripped apart by colliding with a bug at significant enough speeds or absorb an egregious amount of radiation if there weren't any actual particles to kill you from colliding with them or the very real possibility that you burst into flames from friction and that's not even mentioning due to how we move if you went to fast your legs would simply snap in two before you could reach those super human speeds. With super strength you'd not be able to break through walls since in reality reality gets in the way and whatever force you put on object the object puts on you and you'd need super density to use your super strength or you'd just be a guy pushing against a wall or trying to pick up a car you'd still have limited points of contact so the car would just break around your arms that is if you had super durability that your bones didn't just snap since super strength doesn't always mean you have the needed durability to actually use it. Outside those issues our world is designed for about average people of about average strength with super strength you'd constantly have to be careful about controlling how much pressure you put on something it'd likely drive you insane. Flying, lack of oxygen the higher up you go so suffocation warnings if trying to use it for anything more than a hover. Super hearing, you can't selectively tune things out so every little sound would be amplified like somebody constantly shouting in your ear and people weren't designed for that if they were to acquire it later in life it'd be a real headache. A real super power would be being slightly better than everybody else if you were slightly faster than the fastest person or slightly stronger than the strongest person you'd be better, but you wouldn't be out of spec as it were and thus you'd be still be 'super' human, but you'd pretty much be ordinary still. Fun fact: The human body is theoretically capable of running 40 miles per hour without issues in that our legs wouldn't snap in two, we'd still be able to breath well enough to maintain it etc etc.

Edited by Vitis
  • Dislike 1