The Ones Within (Naka no Hito Genome [Jikkyōchū])

Ohayotaku

spacer.png

If you’ve been following my recent posts, you’ll know this series has become one of my obsessions. 

The premise is that eight teenagers, (each specializing in a particular genre of online gaming) are abducted and forced to complete a series of challenges which are streamed live. Their masked host informs that they will remain trapped until they can accumulate 100 million views. 

The things that stand out immediately are the weird setting where realistically impossible things happen frequently and the smart-alecky banter between the characters (kinda like Haruhi Suzimiya). While the initial impression of the series is comedic, the more it progresses the more mystery, suspense & psychological it becomes. It’s becoming increasingly clear that the various characters have their own secrets and in at least one case it makes him/her potentially dangerous.

I realize that this series is under most people’s radar. But I think @Castigear has watched a couple episodes & @LonelyPoet mentioned the manga it is based on. I thought I would see if there’s enough interest to justify a discussion or at least recommend checking it out to my fellow forum members because I’m enjoying it a lot. Here in the US you can find the dub on Funimation (the version I’m following) and the subtitled version on Hulu. Let me know what you think.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 3
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

The dub is really well done IMO and is one of the rare instances that I prefer it over the original language. I watched a couple episodes of the subtitled version for comparison and they were almost identical as far as translation, just some slight embellishment on the english version that seemed to match the series overall tone. Definitely doesn’t sound like the VAs are just reading from a script 🤣  

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

This sounds like something I would enjoy watching. and like Seshi said, the fact it is in dub is helpful to me and would be something I'd watch more due to that ^^ Thanks for sharing about it, it sounds super interesting and I'm gonna check this one out ;3 

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Just finished episode 5. Continue to be Impressed at how they usually manage to give each of the characters a moment in every episode. Though it felt like this  challenge ended rather abruptly and with a lot of hanging questions.  Also surprised in that I never I thought I would feel even a twinge of sympathy for Paka, but ...

Anyway, hope some other folks decide to give this one a try.

Edited by Ohiotaku

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 7

wound up watching the subtitled version since the dub wasn’t up. Hoping it’s just delayed instead of discontinued. Not a huge deal but it was one of the rare ones where I prefer the dub and it might be an obstacle for others.

Edited by Ohiotaku