E-books Versus Books

Ryuji

Get me a paper based book any day of the week. I get how easy and accessible E-books are, but nothing is better than having that paper in your hands. I feel more accomplished when I've finish a paper based book something E-books can't really give. Plus, I look super smart on the train with a paper base. Lol

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

if you were to ask me. i prefer actual books over ebooks or anything of the sort. mainly because of the collectors aspect of it. and how you can collect an entire series and have it on a shelf where it looks amazing. but thats just me i completely understand why people use ebooks with the ever growing use of technology and price difference. but if you can afford if and want to collect then i would recommend buying physical copies. and you dont have to worry about losing everything if you lose an account that you bought said ebook on or you break your device. 

• Like 2

I have - possibly literally - tons of paper books already, and no space for more.  I've also got a lot of magazines and professional publications that are hard to manage and not worth displaying, as well as a bunch of tech documents (like this) that I'd like to have available in portable form without having to lug stacks of paper or a (laptop) computer around with me all the time.  It is also quite handy to be able to search the tech sheets and journals electronically.  I've tried the ebook thing before and found it less than satisfactory, but the potential benefits are what keep me trying.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I prefer a paperback or hardback to a tablet or computer (I don't read novels on the desktop or laptop...I just can't get comfortable!)

I liked the idea of the tablet, but 1) had problems downloading books, 2) got headaches from trying to read them (even with light adjustments, 3) get annoyed with the touch pad.

I also like to write notes in some of my books. If it's particularly engaging, or something I want to look for and reference later, I might underline a sentence or write notes in the margins. Not every book, but certain ones make me do that XD I know that drives some people nuts, but I just got into this habit in school and college. I think a lot of it has to do with how I learn...I like to write things out so I can remember it :3

I also like the feel of books...and sometimes the smell. But I have had the issue of little space, so we've been taking a lot of our books in (that I haven't scrawled over) and trading them in for cash...gotta downsize. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

I also like to write notes in some of my books. If it's particularly engaging, or something I want to look for and reference later, I might underline a sentence or write notes in the margins. Not every book, but certain ones make me do that XD I know that drives some people nuts, but I just got into this habit in school and college. I think a lot of it has to do with how I learn...I like to write things out so I can remember it :3

I do that too and it was one of the reasons I got the reader Boox that I did.  It essentially has a built-in Wacom tablet.  There are a number of other readers that also have built-in note-taking abilities as well, but the reader that I picked is one of those that actually lets you write in the margins of your e-books.

• Wow 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, efaardvark said:

I do that too and it was one of the reasons I got the reader Boox that I did.  It essentially has a built-in Wacom tablet.  There are a number of other readers that also have built-in note-taking abilities as well, but the reader that I picked is one of those that actually lets you write in the margins of your e-books.

OOOh wow! That's super cool! *o*

Man, my dudefriend would maybe like that! I...may look into getting that for him for h is birthday :3 (I already got Christmas covered XD)  Thanks for sharing that!

Edited by Blue Dragon
Added another thought

• 11 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 12:23 PM, Zila said:

I used to have an old Nook and disliked it for eye-strain. Not sure if it was broken or that's how they were made back then but the brightness was a little intense on the lowest setting.

I can't read "books" on an LCD display, at least not for more than half an hour or so.  Something about the backlighting starts to take it's toll after a while.  Any longer than that and I tend to get a headache from the eyestrain.  The e-ink displays (like in the non-Fire Kindles such as the paperwhite) I don't seem to have a problem with.  I've pulled all-nighters reading stuff on my Boox with no problem.  Well, nothing besides the sleep deprivation anyway.💤

I'm really interested in the full review of the Poke.  I like the 10-inch size of my Boox Note though.  If they can get me the color display of the Poke at the size and with the built-in wacom (and battery life) of my 10-inch Note Pro then I will simply have to get one.  :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

You also up your electric bill by having to repeatedly use electronic devices when a non-electronic device is available. Yeah you use your iPad/laptop for other stuff too but only to display pages for hours? I'd rather have a book.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd canvas the field again.  I've been looking to upgrade my Boox reader/note-taker for a while now but I've been holding out for a color display and there's some really nice looking ones out there these days.  The display on the Boox Nova 3 looks perfect, but I want the bigger 10.3" display of my Note Pro.  Almost there, but not quite.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

In terms of usage I use both equally. Physical books are more satisfying to finish and it’s easier to retain information, while ebooks take up less space and are more portable. When I read to fall asleep at night I read my paper books for a little bit and then switch to my e-reader.

My physical books are mostly books I bought that I thought were worth owning. Most of the ebooks I read are from the library and downloaded onto my Kindle. With library ebooks I don’t have to worry about a beat up book and save myself time from having to return it in person. If a library book is impossible to get digitally I will borrow a physical copy though.

• Like 1