Ryuji

E-books Versus Books

Get me a paper based book any day of the week. I get how easy and accessible E-books are, but nothing is better than having that paper in your hands. I feel more accomplished when I've finish a paper based book something E-books can't really give. Plus, I look super smart on the train with a paper base. Lol

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

if you were to ask me. i prefer actual books over ebooks or anything of the sort. mainly because of the collectors aspect of it. and how you can collect an entire series and have it on a shelf where it looks amazing. but thats just me i completely understand why people use ebooks with the ever growing use of technology and price difference. but if you can afford if and want to collect then i would recommend buying physical copies. and you dont have to worry about losing everything if you lose an account that you bought said ebook on or you break your device. 

• Like 1

I have - possibly literally - tons of paper books already, and no space for more.  I've also got a lot of magazines and professional publications that are hard to manage and not worth displaying, as well as a bunch of tech documents (like this) that I'd like to have available in portable form without having to lug stacks of paper or a (laptop) computer around with me all the time.  It is also quite handy to be able to search the tech sheets and journals electronically.  I've tried the ebook thing before and found it less than satisfactory, but the potential benefits are what keep me trying.

• Like 1

And of course less than a year after I buy my Boox somebody goes and invents a color e-ink display...

• Silly 1
  • Funny 1

I got a grey scale one as a gift a ways back, but that color e ink really looks great, especially for stuff like textbooks. Rather 'natural' colors than artificial.
 But they won't really be commercially ready for another year or so I assume.

I prefer a paperback or hardback to a tablet or computer (I don't read novels on the desktop or laptop...I just can't get comfortable!)

I liked the idea of the tablet, but 1) had problems downloading books, 2) got headaches from trying to read them (even with light adjustments, 3) get annoyed with the touch pad.

I also like to write notes in some of my books. If it's particularly engaging, or something I want to look for and reference later, I might underline a sentence or write notes in the margins. Not every book, but certain ones make me do that XD I know that drives some people nuts, but I just got into this habit in school and college. I think a lot of it has to do with how I learn...I like to write things out so I can remember it :3

I also like the feel of books...and sometimes the smell. But I have had the issue of little space, so we've been taking a lot of our books in (that I haven't scrawled over) and trading them in for cash...gotta downsize. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

I also like to write notes in some of my books. If it's particularly engaging, or something I want to look for and reference later, I might underline a sentence or write notes in the margins. Not every book, but certain ones make me do that XD I know that drives some people nuts, but I just got into this habit in school and college. I think a lot of it has to do with how I learn...I like to write things out so I can remember it :3

I do that too and it was one of the reasons I got the reader Boox that I did.  It essentially has a built-in Wacom tablet.  There are a number of other readers that also have built-in note-taking abilities as well, but the reader that I picked is one of those that actually lets you write in the margins of your e-books.

• Wow 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I have a Kindle I adore. I seem to have misplaced it, though. We are decluttering the house in preparation to move in the spring so I hope it turns up... In the meantime I am loving audiobooks.

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

There are a number of other readers that also have built-in note-taking abilities as well, but the reader that I picked is one of those that actually lets you write in the margins of your e-books.

That is seriously cool! On Kindle I'm able to at least highlight things, but if there's a note feature built-in then I'm unaware of it. 

On 12/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, efaardvark said:

I do that too and it was one of the reasons I got the reader Boox that I did.  It essentially has a built-in Wacom tablet.  There are a number of other readers that also have built-in note-taking abilities as well, but the reader that I picked is one of those that actually lets you write in the margins of your e-books.

OOOh wow! That's super cool! *o*

Man, my dudefriend would maybe like that! I...may look into getting that for him for h is birthday :3 (I already got Christmas covered XD)  Thanks for sharing that!

Edited by Blue Dragon
Added another thought