Open Club  ·  181 members

Anime Noobs

When you first watch anime

Scarlet Thunderstormz

I first watched anime when I was a youngin, maybe 5yo? Back when we went to the video store to rent movies, and could record movies on a vhs. 😁 just ignore that if you don’t know what I mean.

I think my first anime was Dragon Ball. Then when I got older I was obsessed with DBZ, around age 8-10, along with Sailor moon. I remember sketching Goku through tracing paper a lot, and cosplaying sailor moon with neighborhood friends. Pokémon & Digimon were also really important.

I watched anime with my brother. Growing up, he was always the one finding new interesting media. I was outside most of the time, so if it wasn’t for him I probably wouldn’t have watched anime, even in high school he found lots of great shows that weren’t mainstream 🤩 I really learned a lot from him.

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, Seshi said:

I first watched anime when I was a youngin, maybe 5yo? Back when we went to the video store to rent movies, and could record movies on a vhs. 😁 just ignore that if you don’t know what I mean.

i know exactly what you mean my first anime was kikis delivery service my grandpa got it at the video store because they ran out of toy story 

On 10/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, YompOrDie said:

first anime I remember seeing was on toonami as a kid dragon ball 

Same! It was a good first anime. We were lucky

1 hour ago, kageokuma said:

i know exactly what you mean my first anime was kikis delivery service my grandpa got it at the video store because they ran out of toy story 

😂😂 Winning!

I don't even remember the first anime I saw.  It was all just "TV" back then, and "cartoons".  There weren't even any tapes to buy/rent back then, so no "anime" display section at the stores to help make a distinction.  I remember the westernized stuff like "Tranzor Z", (Matzinger Z), "Star Blazers" (Space Battleship Yamato),  and "Speed Racer" (Mahha GoGoGo), but also mixed in were not-anime cartoons all the way back to Felix the Cat and Casper the Friendly Ghost, and then later stuff like He-Man, Thundercats, etc.  The whole saturday morning cartoon thing.  As a kid I just watched it all.  Only later did I start making the distinction between "cartoons" and "anime".  Some of the westernized stuff was barely what I'd call anime these days anyway.

Edited by efaardvark
The guy I work with is named Yamamoto. The battleship is Yamato.

• 4 months later...