What do you like to write about?

Seshi

We have an interesting amount of topics in this section already, but I've been wondering, what does everyone like writing about? Do you like creating characters? History? Worlds?

What drives you to write? Do you have a favorite topic that sparks your imagination and you can just write for days? I'm curious. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I like to write emotional stories with a heavy focus on characters. For years, I've been working on this specific universe full of characters and backstories, (I'll call it Project Rainbow) and I was planning to make a visual novel off of it when I first came to AF.

That's still an option, but I've been procrastinating that too much, so I'm going back to novel format. I've been more productive with it this way, but I don't know if I'll release it anytime soon. Which is kinda poo-y because I actually really like these characters and I hope other people will like them too.

Hah, this reminds me of one of my earlier works on here: Feathers and Steel. I'll leave that one on the backburner since it has a sense of completion to it already. I do feel bad for leaving my interactive story in the dust, but I haven't 100% given up on it yet. What's holding me back from continuing most of these stories is my inadequacy in describing combat, since all three of these stories have combat in some sort of way.

I have a lot of other stories too, like fanfictions and other universes, but if you were to ask me which was favorite, I would without a doubt pick Project Rainbow. Every character is handcrafted in a way that is great on their own, but beautiful beside each other. Well, at least, that's how I hope they'll turn out.

Edited by Musuko
  • Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

48 minutes ago, Musuko said:

I like to write emotional stories with a heavy focus on characters. For years, I've been working on this specific universe full of characters and backstories, (I'll call it Project Rainbow) and I was planning to make a visual novel off of it when I first came to AF.

That's still an option, but I've been procrastinating that too much, so I'm going back to novel format. I've been more productive with it this way, but I don't know if I'll release it anytime soon. Which is kinda poo-y because I actually really like these characters and I hope other people will like them too.

Hah, this reminds me of one of my earlier works on here: Feathers and Steel. I'll leave that one on the backburner since it has a sense of completion to it already. I do feel bad for leaving my interactive story in the dust, but I haven't 100% given up on it yet. What's holding me back from continuing most of these stories is my inadequacy in describing combat, since all three of these stories have combat in some sort of way.

I have a lot of other stories too, like fanfictions and other universes, but if you were to ask me which was favorite, I would without a doubt pick Project Rainbow. Every character is handcrafted in a way that is great on their own, but beautiful beside each other. Well, at least, that's how I hope they'll turn out.

I hope you get back to your interactive story as I was enjoying the development there, sane with feathers & steel really, the characters were interesting and I loved the world too, more so than the interactive story because it's just a fledgling really. 

Good luck on your novel 🤗

1 hour ago, HakuUzumaki said:

I like to writing about different scenarios.

That sounds Interesting, care to give an example of one?

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 11 months later...

Over the years I've mainly written poems, song lyrics, and a few short stories. I love writing research papers on social issues and as an aspiring novelist, I am finding that my preferred genre is supernatural thrillers. I greatly enjoy creating layered characters with troubled pasts. I've been watching some YouTube videos on describing magical abilities and it's really got me thinking about exactly what type of abilities I want my main character to have. I love stories that have intense plot twists and I'd love to add one in my book but those have to be done carefully because a poorly written plot twist can ruin everything. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! im new to this forum but i too would like to talk about some anime shows and movies...so like how tho??? is there messaging or something? Anyway hope we get to talk.

• Cute (Kawaii) 1

• 1 year later...

I really started writing when I got into Roleplaying (don't find me weird). So to answer the question on what I like to write about..well..uhh
I enjoy writing poems, or short stories. Could I write a whole story? Ehh -- not too sure, I've tried, but honestly, my creative energy lacks sometimes.

Enough rambling -- I write poems, short stories, roleplay starters, and character biographies. 
That's about it. I really want to write more better things, perhaps FULL BLOWN STORIES, maybe even Novels. But, I need to work towards that.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ike to write short poems, depressing song lyrics and x readers bc yes

Here's one of my trash poems bc why not

'Beyond The Grave'

'Life oh so precious, nobody can grasp

a captivating experience that shall forever last

Beyond the grave, we blossom and bloom

dancing continuously under the full moon

Nobody can nor shall break from the chain

as we so gracefully dance through the pain

So all together we shall hold hands and sing

as we soon will find out what this next life will bring'

Edited by KaiyaSaysHaiya
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 2

• 2 weeks later...

A poem I wrote for an assignment in English lll. 
(The prompt of the Assignment was to take words and adjectives from Edgar Allan Poe's writing 'Cast of Amontillado' and only use the words you chose from that short story and turn it into a poem...here is what I made, short, yet touching.)

I, Guilt

He, with a weak point
I, differ upon you

My dear, guilt
Wore you with madness
Whenever I could
I succumbed with you

A wrong, overtakes you
He, fails himself.

Once again, short - but It's harder than you think to take words from a passage and ONLY USE THOSE WORDS And no other words. You cannot use any other words other than the ones you choose from the passage. So, it was quite a challenge, but I was told by my teacher, I did very well. :) Hope you like it...

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 1 month later...

Generally, of different things, writing calms the mind and the inner spirit. I like to dabble into fanfiction but also of other things as well such as normal fiction. Sometimes poems as well depending upon my mood of course. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I write about psychology, the inner world of the character. And it doesn't matter what genre it is (Romance or science fiction) 

I trying to accurately describe the emotions of the character.  I want the reader to dive as deeply as possible into the story.

• Cute (Kawaii) 1

• 7 months later...

I feel like I write about whatever story is floating around in my head, they're never novel-length but short story length, hundreds of stories just float around in my head and I write which one stands out the most. 

Haven't written in years though since it was mostly a way for me to pass my creative English papers but hey, if I had the motivation I'd love to write more. 

And oh how I wish I could write song lyrics. 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

When I write it's usually poetry and it usually depends on how I'm feeling at the time. A lot of it tended to be either romance or depressing and sad lol. 

It's been a really long time since I've wrote anything though because I have to really feel something. 

I also used to write stories a lot that were kind of anime style but I would write them about myself and my friends. 

• Cute (Kawaii) 1

I like to touch on a plethora of things, literature-wise. I venture into anime and cut it deep so that it has layers, like clothes on a mannequin. I magnify sci-fi, horror, using realism in even the most normal-life scenarios that I conjure from my psyche. I am published and hope to someday surpass the standard bearers of the medium, giants and luminaries whose broad shoulders I stand upon, posing supermodel-esque.

• 1 month later...

I like to write about many things such as fantasy and adventure with characters as an especially important factor (I love creating characters, even when I don't mean to lol). I like coming up with ideas and stuff about the characters, the story and the world-building (also dynamics). A lot of the times, I like to include some horror/creepy aspects in my writing depending on what I can work off of. I write things about my characters such as their interests and backgrounds/backstories, and usually long-ish stories depending on what I have left to write/how the story will play out.

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Clayton-Overstreet/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AClayton+Overstreet

Superheroes have a lot of problems. Madmen with powers. Alien invaders. Warrior races from below the surface who want to invade the world. But the one that really presents a challenge? Finding a decent super suit that holds up. Fabrics do not last when you move at super speed, when your body bursts into flames, or when you suddenly increase your belt size nine times in under a minute. Try not popping a stitch when you are lifting a school bus off the edge of a cliff. There are a million reasons why someone with super powers cannot just squeeze into a skintight bodysuit or slap a mask over their face. And who has not had the occasional wardrobe malfunction after being hit with an ice ray? Then again it is always easier being different and facing the world from behind a mask and sculpted bulletproof chest plates. With or without fake nipples.
Sadly for some people that is not an option. Because a lot of super powers make it difficult if not impossible for those who wield them to wear any clothes at all.
Take Misty Karr, AKA the Phantom. She has been the top superhero in Michigan for a couple of years now, since her old super team disbanded. Her ability to make herself intangible makes her literally untouchable. Phantom is better than most heroes and nearly every villain she has ever been up against. The only problem is a lack of respect because her powers also mean that when she passes through solid objects like a ghost her clothes slide right off too. Fighting crime in the buff without even a secret identity to hide behind does not exactly inspire people like a flashy cape or form fitting body armor, no matter how heroic you might be otherwise.
Then one day she meets the Bod Squad (they did 
not choose the name), one of America’s premier superhero teams. They seem to save the world every week and they are as good and professional as any of the other heroes except that like Mist their superhuman powers mean that no matter how much they might want to they are physically incapable of wearing clothes and the public shows them a bit less respect than they deserve because of it. As if a revealing one piece made out of rubber and leather that looks painted on is any better. Being true heroes though she sees the Bod Squad take such injustice in stride and hoping she can too after they help her take down one of their regular enemies Mist joins the team. Soon she finds her place among them fitting right in. Even if fighting side by side does get a bit awkward at times.
Only a short while later an old friend finds themselves in trouble. Suffering under an ancient curse that turns them from hero to monster she has one week to save their lives. If not the team will have no choice but to put the beast down permanently. Mist will have to step into the world to go on a quest to find a cure and maybe prove to the world that it is not the costume that makes someone a real hero.
Stay tuned at the end of the book for Super Naked short stories.

81aXAtmfWZL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Clayton