“Futuristic” Movies of the past coming full circle

Seshi

Do you remember watching any old movies that try and set the future in a timeline that we have already been through? Some movies show the year 2,000 as being futuristic, well we’ve past that one by now, and it’s funny how different the us of the past thought the us of the future would be.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I saw an 80s “futuristic” movie that I can’t remember the name of... The people of the future (supposedly like 2018 or something) used trash to fuel their cars 🤣 and they wore huge baggy clothes (like early 2000’) and everyone’s cars had facial or voice recognition or something like that. It was pretty funny to watch and see how they thought we’d be living rn... oh, and it was a wasteland type of world too. Cuz you know, I’m 2018 we destroyed the earth already 😜

On 8/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, Illusion of Terra said:

Great idea for a topic! Neon Genesis Evangelion takes place in the year 2015, but I'm not sure it was meant to be realistic 😂

I really like this anime. Even though it’s very old I’ve only recently watched it. However I don’t know how to feel about the ending. 

Edited by Momoki
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 9:19 AM, Momoki said:

I really like this anime. Even though it’s very old I’ve only recently watched it. However I don’t know how to feel about the ending. 

I just recently watched it as well. There's kind of a debate going on here

The ending was a bit unusual. I still don't get why they did two of them which were basically the same. As far as I got it and remember it, it is tied to a buddhist/abrahimic view of what will happen after everybody dies

Spoiler

namely the merging of all consciousness which I think you can somehow also argue for because of the symbolism of merging lilith and adam

but yeah, to get back on topic, I don't think we are quite at the end of the world yet.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Akira is set in 2019.

Edge of Tomorrow is set in 2020.

GI Joe the Rise of Cobra is set in 2020.

Highlander 2 is set in 2024, we're almost there

The Postman (underrated) is set in 2013

The original Robocop was set in the "future" of 1991

• Friendly 1

• 2 months later...