Why you love anime?

FreshPairOfEyes

Although I'm new here but I'm really curious what is/are the reason/reasons why you watch anime?

I think it is important to hear each others stories because people  ( who do not understand anime) in real life  most of the time think about those who watch Anime that they are like some outsiders or strange, or have some issues? You know there are a lot of stereotypes about anime lovers.  Do you think it is true that anime watchers have some common characteristic or a reason behind why they spend lots of time sitting by the screen watching moving drawings ( as some people say) ? 

I think it would be an interesting discussion: why you watch anime, how you see yourself as a person when you love animations, manga and Japanese culture and what most popular stereotypes you've heard about US? 

Hope someone is willing to talk, haha.

Myself, sending a lot of encouragement to all of us who love Anime and think it is beautiful art! We are cool, we are a strong and friendly community and we are not that weird haha ( sometimes..) !spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Cute (Kawaii) 1

I’ve always been fascinated by animation in general and it’s way to create worlds that could normally exist only in imagination. Even in a realistic setting, by using a particular art style, they can create a unique mood or tone.

As far as why I tend to have more appreciation for anime than other types of animation, it just seems like the Japanese have more respect for the medium and are willing to take on more varied topics. As far as culture & philosophy are concerned, it’s not unusual for me to encounter ideas I don’t actually agree with, but that doesn’t keep me from finding it interesting or entertaining.

Finally, in regards to my current obsession with anime (probably to a degree that’s not entirely healthy for me :P) Without getting into details the past couple years of my life haven’t been pleasant ones. My initial motivation for getting back into anime was probably largely nostalgia & escapism. But to my surprise I keep encountering topics that really resonate with where I’ve been recently. I could give numerous examples of individual episodes  or scenes, but I think the best illustration is a recent series called My Roommate is a Cat which deals with coping with grief after the death of one’s parents as an adult. But also the awkwardness/stress/annoyance of social interactions when you’re a natural introvert. And in that respect I find it therapeutic to interact online with people I have a common interest with.

Thanks for your patience if you made it all the way to the end.

• Friendly 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I love it because of the art style but secondly just the variation. There is an anime for everyone and every mood. Some are deep and dark some are light and happy. 

They're extremely easy to switch onto so you can then switch out and escape from all the shit. They don't require a 2hr slot like a movie (but I usually binge watch it anyways.....). 20mins on a lunch break or something. 

• Like 1

I enjoy watching anime (particularly rom-coms lol) because they're so good at expressing the characters' feelings and emotions. Whenever I watch anime I'm able to sympathize with and feel the characters' emotions really easily, and that aspect makes it a really enjoyable and deeply engrossing experience. No other media form seems to do the same thing for me. 

Also cute anime girls 

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, neptuna said:

I enjoy watching anime (particularly rom-coms lol) because they're so good at expressing the characters' feelings and emotions. Whenever I watch anime I'm able to sympathize with and feel the characters' emotions really easily, and that aspect makes it a really enjoyable and deeply engrossing experience. No other media form seems to do the same thing for me. 

Also cute anime girls 

I totally agree, there aren't many times I have watched a blockbuster film and felt the way a good anime makes me feel. Case in point, I watched "A Silent Voice" the other night, then the next night watched a rom/com that was on Netflix, the majority of the time all I could think was "this is so boring compared to what I just watched last night"... :(

5 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I totally agree, there aren't many times I have watched a blockbuster film and felt the way a good anime makes me feel. Case in point, I watched "A Silent Voice" the other night, then the next night watched a rom/com that was on Netflix, the majority of the time all I could think was "this is so boring compared to what I just watched last night"... :(

Right? I made the mistake of watching Koe no Katachi on a plane next to a classmate who I wasn't very familiar with... what a mistake that was. I was basically crying ten minutes in 
(⌒_⌒;)

• Aww 1

Hmm.. probably because it allows me to escape to a new world and allows me to feel... I don't knows, some type of alive ?? It pulls me away from this sort of deep, dark depression I have and lightens me up and makes me feel really joyous and makes me feel like one of the characters. Like, if one of them dies, I cry with them. Weird I know, but that's kinda why I watch it.

• Like 1

I am a little weird so maybe that's why.
I typically tend to enjoy the story line behind animes that I watch, plus, I believe overall watching anime just feels good and keeps me connected to my childhood side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...