Your opinions on why anime youtubers get a lot of crap.

oshiiking

Hey , guys I haven't properly introduced myself or even gave myself a profile pic but that's not for this forum so just wait .  I'm going to be honest I want to be a anime youtuber but in alot of searching  I found that the anime YouTube community is kind of broken . The anime reviewers and animevessay youtubers get alot of crap. Just wondered what's your guys opinions or even if you know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 3

Youtubers in general get a lot of crap. In the anonymity of the internet, hateful people unleash their fingers in a tempest of obnoxious fury every day. If you really want to be a Youtuber, grow a thick skin and don't read the comments. The likes and subscribers number is all that matters. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

There’s a lot of very talented & creative artists, cosplayers & people making AMVs. But as far as being a fan wanting to discuss & share their opinions on anime ... isn’t that what everyone on this forum is doing? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

There’s a lot of very talented & creative artists, cosplayers & people making AMVs. But as far as being a fan wanting to discuss & share their opinions on anime ... isn’t that what everyone on this forum is doing? 

Yes, but don’t we get a lot of crap too? Simply for having “different” interests? I don’t know, I have pretty accepting friends, but then again, I don’t go out wearing anime merch and flaunting my fandom. Separate thread on that point of view here: 

• Like 2

I'd agree with what Beocat said, from what I've seen in the comment sections for YouTube a lot of it seems to be just people being trolls or just finding little details to hate about everything, regardless of what you are posting. If you make YouTube videos and are able to handle criticism - and a lot of it - I would opt to not read the comments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sasuke said:

I'd agree with what Beocat said, from what I've seen in the comment sections for YouTube a lot of it seems to be just people being trolls or just finding little details to hate about everything, regardless of what you are posting. If you make YouTube videos and are able to handle criticism - and a lot of it - I would opt to not read the comments.

Agree, people feel like they can say whatever they want on the internet so I've noticed people usually just get a kick out of being critical and trying to be argumentative. There are a lot of people that will enjoy the content you put out though so you should do it for that ;3 

Well, I don't know if I agree with purely not reading comments. I think that being open to criticism is a good thing, and (for me) comments feel like the reward for my efforts. I do agree that there are has been some hateful stuff out there, though.

As "youtuber" has grown into one of one of the most aspired professions in North America(1) many truly disingenuous people have spoiled people's perception of what is means to be a youtuber. Scandal after scandal has shown that there are plenty of individuals willing to go to extremes for the sake of becoming a professional youtuber. Due to this some viewers have become skeptical of the motives of many youtuber's. When you see a youtube channel talking about Dragonball Z, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, or <Insert Popular Seasonal Show here> is it because of a earnest want to talk about that show? Or is it because they are desperate for viewers?

I think some people have a sense that being a 'youtuber' should be more than a glorified advertiser, and as such are disappointed in individuals who 'stoop' to doing so. Many seems to believe in the idea that "you shouldn't be able to be successful by being dishonest towards your viewers".

It's also worth mentioning that people generally don't like when they are told how "they should feel" about pretty much anything. The occasional youtuber will sometimes err and present their opinions on a show, in such a way that some will interpret it as "you should like this show". Whereas the people who don't like that show for both unreasonable and reasonable reasons can only respond with "you are wrong" or else they would have to accept that something about their own thought process was unreasonable, which, even if it is the case, is a very difficult thing to do.

(1) : 🙂 https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/business/Kids-Now-Dream-Professional-YouTubers-Astronauts-Study-Finds-512966661.html)

Edited by 作曲者
Spelling / Grammer
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I think the big thing about the "Youtuber" notion is simply that there's a glory factor that for some reason has been attached to it for something that has little perceived value. 

I mostly agree with what you have said, but I think In a world that is so defined online social interaction, there is tangible value in being, for lack of a better term, an 'influencer', as they truly due have influence on how people perceive topics.  So I think it is likely the case that many people perceive being a youtuber as something incredibly valuable.

It might be the case that what we call a "youtuber" is most likely something akin to kids wanting to be "A Rockstar" in the 80's. Then again this might be just an over application of the phenomenon that "people like to be liked".

Edited by 作曲者
  • Like 1

Influence can most likely be both the cause and solution to problems.

Some might think "they should be held to account for their influence" and while this sounds fairly reasonable on the outset I'm very cautious of that mindset.

It isn't clear whatsoever how much influence any particular influencer has, nor is it clear how that influence manifest itself. How could we even begin to measure or compare this? Think of two channels, one with 1 million passive subscribers, and another with 100 dedicated fans who would do anything that the influencer told them to do. Who has more influence? I have no clue. Perhaps we could call them different forms of influence, but I think that might be a cop out.

My main grief with this mindset is how it seems to manifest itself. The individuals that are most often held to account, are typically the easiest ones to hold to account, not the ones that probably should be held to account.

Lastly, it is clear as mud as to what constitutes "bad influence", what are the things that an influence should be held account for in the first place? Sure some thing's are broadly agreed upon, but many, many things are not.

I really think the best we can do is think "influence might be a problem in some circumstances for some people".

Edited by 作曲者
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The History Kid said:

That's essentially my point.  And no one sees a problem with that?

I think it can go both ways... What’s potentially problematic is that as the amount of people who aspire to these positions of “influencer”,or “YouTuber” grow, mass amounts of people who wish to have passive incomes based on doing a job that in and of itself contributes little to our society grow, then consequently the numbers of people aspiring to jobs that could benefit society shrink. 

So yes, this could be problematic. However, the people who aspire to these particular skills could go about doing them in different ways (learning computer/new IT skills, learn psychology, or actually become rich and use their profits to change the world) we don’t know how this desire will manifest. Will that person who wished to become an influencer on social media actually become a real life changer for others outside of that? Perhaps. Will they learn some new skills in the IT field or discover a deeper passion when on their journey, taking us into an even greater season of technological advancement? Maybe. Will the person who wished to help others overcome an obstacle social or psychological- and decide to work instead in that field as a counselor for local youth? Maybe.

So really, we don’t know what anyone’s paths will be. But as long as they are aspiring to be an influencer, or at least aspiring to something, they have options, and that’s always a good thing.

4 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I think you are both missing the major point here: you don't see a problem with "just about anyone" being identified as influencer and someone that the masses follow? That's one of my big points. It's part of the reason you have people running around citing conspiracy theories as fact. A generation of followers and half-cocked "leaders.". So now you have a generation where you have a person who is insane spreading their opinion as fact to a mass of followers and being paid to do it.

My point is these platforms award stupidity and insanity while their userbase grows farther out of touch from reality.

I must have missed where you originally said this. Yea that’s a true factor to consider. It’s a bit insane how people will follow just about anyone as long as they have an opinion, be it unfounded, crazy or whatever.