Is there anything you want to learn?

Xyro

As the tittle suggests, Is there anything in particular about writing or narrative (In any format mind you) that you would like to know about? asking should help people get an idea as to what topics to teach about! :D

So far, I am currently working on a lesson revolving around the use of mute/silent characters within narrative, but afterward I want to also delve into character narrative within video games.

Other then that, nothing else on the back burner yet. Let me know if there is anything you want made or written about. Always happy to help if I can ^^

My friend has been interested in creating a comic of some sort and asked me to write the story while she does the illustrations. I write pretty often in my free time, but usually just fanfictions and short stories. I have no idea how to write in a comic/manga style, it seems very different from just writing a story and i'm not sure where to start. We already have a basic idea of characters and setting, any tips on hows to write in that format?

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

7 minutes ago, Anime.Girl said:

My friend has been interested in creating a comic of some sort and asked me to write the story while she does the illustrations. I write pretty often in my free time, but usually just fanfictions and short stories. I have no idea how to write in a comic/manga style, it seems very different from just writing a story and i'm not sure where to start. We already have a basic idea of characters and setting, any tips on hows to write in that format?

Firstly and foremost, I think I'll try and cover writing in a comic/manga style in a bigger topic for the archive, since it's kinda a lot more in-depth then it first would sound.

But to give a bit of a more breif answer now;

Writing in a comic style is far more varied then you would otherwise get in a regular story. What you want to do is follow how the art portrays a scene, and write in context to that imagery, especially if you are showing the story while following a main character.

The idea is that the imagery is what truly shows a reader the world. The text, as well as the writing, is what puts flavour into the characters and how they perceive things.

Let me try devising this up into two parts though; character speach and descriptive narrative.

Character speach: you will mainly use this to show speach from each character. My suggestion would be to make a profile for the character outside the comic, get a feel for how they would speak, then write naturally how they would react and speak to the contexts they are in.

Descriptive text: these can be done outside of scenes, but to give some detail to things. Try and avoided being too descriptive, bit try to give enough that the text warrants existing. Remember that the key to a good comic is show-dont-tell, as the imagery is what can truly draw a reader in.

Anyway, while that was a bit short, I hope that helps for now in some way or another. 

And seriously, best of luck to the two of you! What you are going to start doing sounds utterly awesome, so do your best!!! :3

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

3 minutes ago, Xyro said:

Firstly and foremost, I think I'll try and cover writing in a comic/manga style in a bigger topic for the archive, since it's kinda a lot more in-depth then it first would sound.

But to give a bit of a more breif answer now;

Writing in a comic style is far more varied then you would otherwise get in a regular story. What you want to do is follow how the art portrays a scene, and write in context to that imagery, especially if you are showing the story while following a main character.

The idea is that the imagery is what truly shows a reader the world. The text, as well as the writing, is what puts flavour into the characters and how they perceive things.

Let me try devising this up into two parts though; character speach and descriptive narrative.

Character speach: you will mainly use this to show speach from each character. My suggestion would be to make a profile for the character outside the comic, get a feel for how they would speak, then write naturally how they would react and speak to the contexts they are in.

Descriptive text: these can be done outside of scenes, but to give some detail to things. Try and avoided being too descriptive, bit try to give enough that the text warrants existing. Remember that the key to a good comic is show-dont-tell, as the imagery is what can truly draw a reader in.

Anyway, while that was a bit short, I hope that helps for now in some way or another. 

And seriously, best of luck to the two of you! What you are going to start doing sounds utterly awesome, so do your best!!! :3

This was actually extremely helpful, it gives me a good place to start working. If I remember correctly, in your character development post you spoke about creating the basic structure of a character and I think that's what i'm going to start with. My friend and I have a pretty set idea of the characters and setting, as well as some thoughts on plot.

Also, if you do create a topic on comic/manga style writing it would be really helpful and I could learn a lot from it, but if not then thank you for the info you already gave. It really has helped me get my footing with this area of writing.

• Friendly 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

7 minutes ago, Anime.Girl said:

This was actually extremely helpful, it gives me a good place to start working. If I remember correctly, in your character development post you spoke about creating the basic structure of a character and I think that's what i'm going to start with. My friend and I have a pretty set idea of the characters and setting, as well as some thoughts on plot.

Also, if you do create a topic on comic/manga style writing it would be really helpful and I could learn a lot from it, but if not then thank you for the info you already gave. It really has helped me get my footing with this area of writing.

Never a problem!

I'll try and get the comic/manga style narrative done after game characters, so it may be a little while, but will definitely be done :3

still, if you find you need any more help, always happy to oblige! ^-^

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1