Most popular anime VS your favorite anime

Seshi

What do you think of "the most popular" anime?

Do they make it on your favorite list? If so, which ones?

1. Death Note

2. Attack on Titan

3. Sword Art Online

4. Fullmetal Alchemist

5. One Punch Man

6. Tokyo Ghoul 

7. Steins Gate

8. No Game No Life

9. Naruto

10. Angel Beats!

• Like 1

Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood) is on my all time top 10. The following titles don’t quite rank that high, but I still consider noteworthy: Death Note, Steins Gate, the original Fullmetal Alchemist series & Attack on Titan.

Also just curious, does the Top 10 you listed come from MAL rankings?

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I have only seen 7 out of 10 and Naruto, OPM, FMA, AOT (so many acronyms 😅) are the only ones deserving a spot on my favorite list.

NGNL brought a new concept to the isekai genre when it was first released but this whole brother-sister relationship is sickening with all the fan service centered around Shiro. Tokyo Ghoul is an example of bad anime adaptation or lack of budget, potential was there but was not used properly.

Mixed opinions on SAO - S1 part 1 and S2 part 2 are worth mentioning.

Edited by Muco
  • Like 1

I've seen four of them (SAO S1, S;G, NGNL and AB!)
The only one of those in my top list is Steins;Gate.

I liked NGNL. The game parts and references were fun, and I love its artstyle. Didn't like how they handled Stephanie, which is my biggest gripe with this show. Still want to watch the NGNL: 0 movie.
The first arc of SAO was fun, but the elf one was awful. Haven't seen the second season, or the movie, yet.
I absolutely love the music in Angel Beats. The animation and humouristic parts were great as well. My gripes with this one are the common ones, mainly feeling like it tries to cram way too much in its runtime.

• Like 1

You know it @Ohiotaku. It's not as accurate maybe as some more niche websites, but it does give most of the top ones in popularity. I'd say it's missing some other big names, but that list changes a little each season anyway.

My favorites don't line up like this either, FMA is up there for me, and death note too, though not a top 10. 

Tokyo ghoul was pretty cool but I didn't finish it yet, so I can't really say. Naruto was also good, but I'd not say top 10 either. 

The rest of them I either haven't seen or didn't like at all. I was really shocked to see some of these in the top 10 list. 

sadly none of them are my favourites, weird though since i would've expected one piece to make it the most popular. 

i've watched sao, fma, ngnl and angel beats, while i've read aot, naruto and death note. none of them were really great in my opinion besides fullmetal alchemist (though brotherhood is better), they were all average at most. i really didn't expect to see steins gate, ngnl and angel beats in the top ten most popular though

• Like 2

Since this source is from MAL, the list does change frequently. I think One Piece should be on the most popular list...

What are some of the most popular anime that make it on your favorites list? You don’t have to go by the MAL example.

tbh im not really a fan of the typical "popular" anime. they were ok but none of them are in my favorites either. except for maybe one punch man, it was really funny

my favorites to watch were Detective Conan, Gankutsuou (big fan of the count of monte cristo,) xxxHOLiC, Noragami, Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Osomatsu-san, Kiznaiver, Kimi no Na wa, Hyouka, Koe no Katachi, and Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

My Hero Academia & Cowboy Bebop are probably the most mainstream/popular of my favorites outside the ones I already mentioned.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

1. Death Note - seen it, didn’t mind it, I guess

2. Attack on Titan - don’t like it

3. Sword Art Online - honestly hate it

4. Fullmetal Alchemist -I’ve seen Brotherhood, I loved it

5. One Punch Man - haven’t seen it

6. Tokyo Ghoul -don’t like it

7. Steins Gate -haven’t seen it

8. No Game No Life -haven’t seen it

9. Naruto - hate it

10. Angel Beats! -haven’t seen it

As you can tell, I’m very clearly out of touch with the most popular haha. For the majority of them I either haven’t seen or I don’t like them. 

My top favourite anime are Planetes, Texhnolyze, Ben-To, Sailor Moon, and Azumanga Daioh. 

• Like 1

1. Death Note / Still my All time favorite 10/10

2. Attack on Titan / S3 Part 2 was amazing 8/10

3. Sword Art Online / Bah 6/10

4. Fullmetal Alchemist / TBD

5. One Punch Man / First Season was amazing 9/10

6. Tokyo Ghoul / TBD

7. Steins Gate / Progresses very slow but somehow makes It entertaining to watch also 9/10

8. No Game No Life / Unnecessary fan service like the show tho 8/10

9. Naruto / TBD

10. Angel Beats! / TBD

I Rated all of these shows very high because most of them were also very good and fun to watch.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

Azumanga Daioh

I remember a time when that one seemed to be considered pretty popular. It remains my all time favorite slice of life series (Yuru Camp being second)

• Like 1

Aside from Steins;Gate, the most popular show on my favourites list is probably Madoka Magica.

8 hours ago, Seshi said:

I think One Piece should be on the most popular list...

OP is apparently #37 on MAL's popularity list. I expected it to be higher as well. Although I guess that the relatively shorter run times of most shows higher in that list work in their favour, popularity-wise.

• Like 1

Death Note: I'm watching it at the moment. I'm finding it really good, but I don't know how I feel about it after 

Spoiler

L dies. I loved him so much, he made the series so fun

I've watched the first 2 seasons, and I plan on watching the 3rd some time soon.

I watched SAO, but gave up after they started with the guns and all that. I can't say I enjoyed what I saw either.

I watched several episodes of FMA, but got distracted by other stuff. From what I saw it looks really good though.

I absolutely love One Punch Man. The comedy is amazing and the animation is god-tier.

I really liked Tokyo Ghoul. I preferred season 1 the most. For some reason I find Tsukiyama side-splittingly funny.

Never watched Steins Gate, but I plan to in the near future.

I loved No Game No Life. The art style is probably the main reason.

I'll always love Naruto, probably because it introduced me to anime.

I've never watched Angel Beats! but I might one day.

My favorite anime is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The story and characters are awesome. I can't tell you how much I love JoJo

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I never cared about the most popular animes, though in Japan animes like cowboy bebop, trigun, and samurai champloo weren't that popular in japan compared to America. Also Dragon ball got better reviews in japan then dragon ball z.  I know also one piece was or is one of the most popular animes, but the animation is really ugly, and the characters are just as ugly to look at. Sword art online is just bad, I don't need to talk about why its bad, you can search why people don't like it. And Naruto is full of annoying characters, like sasuke, who just hates everyone, and the only reason people like him is cause they are emo, or think he looks good.   To me it seems like the most popular animes love having annoying characters. Or stories that have already been done before in the 80s and 90s. 

A lot of people think that also just cause a anime is popular in the west means it did well in japan which isn't the case. Besides attack on titan, which has its own theme park in japan.  Also Sao is popular for being hated, you can just search on google why people hate it. Or search on youtube. Find out why people don't like besides having a plot that go's no where and tons of filler that adds nothing to the story. 

Though my hero academia might be my fav popular anime. Maybe cause it doesn't have a lot of annoying characters like Naruto does. 

Edited by Serge heartless

1. Death Note - Started it, but never finished it. I've been spoiled pretty heavily for the ending, which people consider to be disappointing. I don't intend on finishing it.

2. Attack on Titan - Finished season one. I don't really have a strong drive to continue it, but I didn't hate it.

3. Sword Art Online - Made it up until the end of the original Gun Gale Online. I don't really have a desire to continue it. The story and characters didn't seem to be moving in a direction that I'd appreciate, but I do have a slight nostalgia for it since I watched it with some friends. A little overhated in my opinion, but it definitely deserves most of it.

4. Fullmetal Alchemist - I've only seen Brotherhood. It's been almost ten years since it finished airing, so I honestly don't remember how I feel about it.

5. One Punch Man - I love One Punch Man, but the reasons for why have definitely changed over the years. This series is probably my favorite on this last, but mainly due to the webcomic.

6. Tokyo Ghoul - Never seen it, and I don't plan on it. I like the memes that come from the first OP, though.

7. Steins Gate - I've seen the original Steins;Gate anime, OVAs, and movie, but I have not finished Steins;Gate 0. I got to around episode 12 and just thinking to myself "Wow, I don't care." when a major twist was revealed. It's hard to get emotionally attached to new characters in a "prequel". Overall, I like the series, but Steins;Gate 0 is on pause for now.

8. No Game No Life - I finished season one and No Game No Life Zero. Season one was definitely an enjoyable experience, and I have a slight nostalgia for it since I watched it with friends, too. However, No Game No Life Zero was undoubtly better, and it kind of makes me hesitant to want to watch more of the original series.

9. Naruto - I watched the original season as a kid, and I really liked it. Now, I hate what it's become. This was originally the story of a dumb, yet well-meaning kid that got set behind but still tried his best to help the people around him by sticking his head where it didn't belong. Now, it's about who's won the genetic lottery. I have no intention of ever continuing it. If Rock Lee was the main character, this show would easily be one of my favorite shows of all time.

10. Angel Beats! - I finished it. I didn't really understand it while I was watching, but after the understanding the ending, it does give a bittersweet taste in my mouth. I can't help but feel that there were too many loose ends left untied, though. I guess it's up to the watcher's interpretation.

• Like 1