Local Anime/Manga shop

Seshi

Where do you go locally that has anime/ manga for sale? Do they also have sweets like Pockey and Ramune?

Score if they do 🤩

We have Barnes & Noble or Books a Million for manga, but I don’t really know of a local video shop. I also get some secondhand books from a local bookstore- though, no pockey. I go to Asian market for those treats.

I pretty much order online exclusively anymore (primarily Amazon & Rightstuff but occasionally directly from the licensing company). There was a time I went to Suncoast/Mediaplay on a weekly basis though. As far as manga I used to frequent Waldenbooks, B. Daltons & local comic/trading card stores.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Man, lots of video stores have closed down haven’t they... I think we had one in the mall here, but the stores in the mall all move around so much it’s hard to say what’s there anymore. 

17 hours ago, The History Kid said:

We don't have anything like that here.  Or if we do, I don't know about it - and probably would not frequent such a place.  The brick and mortar video game store is bad enough with the clientele. We used to have Suncoast, Sam Goody, and For Your Entertainment (FYE) once upon a time.  Those were the good days.  Alas, they're all gone now.

Not just games and anime and manga either.  First the Walmart era, then the unholy alliance of Amazon and China have pretty much killed all local shops.  I have the same problem with electronics (resistors & capacitors type electronics, not cellphones and computers) and other things.  I have to drive 20 miles for a decent "local" electronics store even here in the Los Angeles county metro area.  There used to be a "rat shack" (Radio Shack) on almost every corner.  I haven't seen a decently-stocked old-school hobby shop - models, paints, balsa wood, brass stock, etc. - around here for years either.

4 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Akihabara

I would love to go there someday.  Not just for the otaku culture either.  There's also a thriving electronics/hacker scene there as well that I could get into.  I might never come back.  :D  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I would love to go there someday.  Not just for the otaku culture either.  There's also a thriving electronics/hacker scene there as well that I could get into.  I might never come back.  :D  

Sounds like an idea for AF’s first Get-Acquainted-Retreat. Use your Community Manager powers to make it so, Seshi 🤣

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Funny 1

Sadly, we don't have any shops like this in town! We have to drive to the city and head to one of the malls there. Either that, or order online. As for pocky and treats like that, most of the grocery stores here have a small collection available in one of the aisles.

There's not one "local" to me.
A city half an hour away has a comic store, with a couple of shelves with manga. The selection there is pretty decent, and they sell stuff like anime / game artbooks as well. Along with some merchandise.
I don't know of any store nearby that carries anime. I've seen some Japanese live action films at a Media Markt, but no Japanese animation. Unlike in Germany, where I've seen multiple dubbed series in stores.

There's a chain of candy stores in the Netherlands that sells a fair amount of foreign candies. They carry pocky and these Ramune bottles, not sure what else. They're quite expensive, though :(
Some of the Asian supermarkets here also carry such stuff, but none of the ones nearby.

Like others have mentioned, I buy most stuff online (Archonia) as well, or at conventions. If only Japanese CDs were easier to get.