Senki Zesshou Symphogear: The Thread (That you should totally read.)

awesomedude20

Senki Zesshou Symphogear

spacer.png

This is one of Japan's top selling anime, with 5 seasons, over the course of the past 7 years. Season 3 was #1 in sales for its season, while season 4 was ALSO #1 in sales for its season. AND season 3 beat ONE PUNCH MAN for the ENTIRE YEAR. And it isn't popular in the absolute bloody slightest outside of Japan.

I'm confused too, don't worry.

spacer.png

But if you want one of the best hype action shows of the decade, Symphogear is for you. It does damn near everything that people love about shounen action shows, except it does them far better than most actual shounens, despite Symphogear not actually being a shounen.

AND it's a fucking musical. Didn't see that coming, did you.

It ain't cutesy, it lives off of the rule of cool and more or less can't go more than 5 minutes without something exploding or it dies, with music that's about as cool as that whole concept is.

Watch this scene, and witness our beloved main character parry tank shells with her bare fists.

https://streamable.com/s/fs4vl/qkmkei

Watch Order:

Symphogear (a bit rough, don't judge the show based on this season. Still good, just not peak Symphogear.)

Symphogear G (This is where Symphogear actually starts to shine, and it stays that way. A shitty side studio fucked up the first season, so they fired them and swapped out 90% of the staff and you're left with a season that's vastly superior to the first in absolutely every god damn way you could ever expect. Get. To. This. Season.)

Symphogear GX (It got even prettier.)

Symphogear AXZ (The animation got better.)

Symphogear XV (Airing right now, and is really turning out to be a proper culmination and finale of 7 years of a franchise.)

OOOOO

Now that you've been so heartily informed of the best show ever, I'd love to hear what any of you think of it. First impressions based on this thread maybe, or impressions from you going to watch it! It's my favourite show by a mile, so I assure you I'm more than willing to chat your ear off about it, and if you aren't impressed by it... well, leave it to me ;)

spacer.png

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I always thought this anime was about girls in tight fight-suits (that additionally makes their boobs look larger) who lose part of their suits during fights to the point you could call this ecchi. I guess my first impression was wrong, will look into it. As far as I know there is also a game franchise with the same name.

Edited by Muco

8 minutes ago, Muco said:

I always thought this anime was about girls in tight fight-suits (that additionally makes their boobs look larger) who lose part of their suits during fights to the point you could call this ecchi. I guess my first impression was wrong, will look into it. As far as I know there is also a game franchise with the same name.

No game, unless you want to count the crappy mobile game, or that one time the main trio was tossed into Super Heroine Chronicles, which I'm not gonna count lmao

Purely an anime original series, fueled by the creators actually wanting to make the thing lol

• Informative 1

Oh boy, another huge franchise to get into.

Spoiler

Image result for that's hell you're walking into fate

At least this one actually has a solid starting point, unlike Fate. Count me in, but it'll take a second for me to form an opinion.

Edited by Musuko

1 hour ago, Musuko said:

Oh boy, another huge franchise to get into.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for that's hell you're walking into fate

At least this one actually has a solid starting point, unlike Fate. Count me in, but it'll take a second for me to form an opinion.

Ayyy I reeled someone in ;D

Would love to hear your thoughts when you get around to it :P

• Like 2

I've seen the first 3 seasons, and while I love the music, I thought the show got quite tiresome by the forth. It seemed like they struggled to come up with some sort of justification as to why Hibiki and Crew would still be fighting.

Does the currently airing season seem as contrived? Do seasons 4 or 5 have anything comparable to the space ship crash scene?

Edited by 作曲者

On 8/25/2019 at 12:54 AM, 作曲者 said:

I've seen the first 3 seasons, and while I love the music, I thought the show got quite tiresome by the forth. It seemed like they struggled to come up with some sort of justification as to why Hibiki and Crew would still be fighting.

Does the currently airing season seem as contrived? Do seasons 4 or 5 have anything comparable to the space ship crash scene?

Lack of justification? The Symphogear wielders are the only thing standing between the villains and the Earth getting blown up in most cases o.o I'm really not sure what's particularly contrived about it, though GX's biggest downfall was its writing, I'll admit that much.

Regardless, you'll probably be glad to know that AXZ and XV are the best the series has literally ever been. The writing is similar, yet different, with a lot of focus on tying past events together and just doing a whole lot of neat stuff. They also realized basically all of their past mistakes and either didn't repeat them, or literally went out of their way to fix some iffy stuff. Not to mention that AXZ and XV were announced at the same time, so the story for those two is particularly well done since it was planned 2 seasons in advance. So you shouldn't have any issues with AXZ or XV.

As for hype? Yeah Symphogear literally always one-ups itself, basically without fail. XV is chilling at 8.37 on MAL right now, placing it at the 5th most popular airing show this season. Which is insane lol. AXZ doesn't pull any punches either, it was just damn good. A lot of people describe AXZ as "GX but actually good." As well, AXZ has far better animation than GX does, while XV is just absolutely phenomenal.

Like look at this animation:

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/82691