What makes Death Note the GOAT

Seshi

What do you think it is about Death Note that makes it recorded as the greatest of all time? 

Is it because of L? Or perhaps because of Light?

Does it have to do with more than their charming looks and personalities? I personally like L as one of my favorite anime characters. That's why I think it may have something to do with their amiability in general. But it could be more than that. What's your opinion?

L.gif.09bbae2c99583d5af47c709c5df681cd.gif

I think it has a lot to do with the writing for the series. The art is good yes, but the writing is second to none for the time it aired. It is honestly a lot more like a more modern anime in terms of its length and limited story arch structure as well. So I think it just has stood the test of time, but most because of how it was then more then now. Its also just really relocatable to honestly. It deals with a lot of real emotions and experiences minus the death note itself.

• Agree 1

I think what makes it stand out more than anything is how it was a battle of wits. For most people anime is generally characterized by very flashy fight scenes with over the top levels of violence and destruction ( Dragonball Z , Akira  & Fist of the North Star).  So Death Notes more cerebral style makes it stand out. But even though there’s not that much actual “action” it had a very dramatic art style that got your attention spacer.png

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

13 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I think what makes it stand out more than anything is how it was a battle of wits. For most people anime is generally characterized by very flashy fight scenes with over the top levels of violence and destruction ( Dragonball Z , Akira  & Fist of the North Star).  So Death Notes more cerebral style makes it stand out. But even though there’s not that much actual “action” it had a very dramatic art style that got your attention 

You're right. That is a definitely a stark contrast.

Is contrast always a good thing though? Serious anime I tend to enjoy more than silly anime, but I'm surprised that its so popular, given the amount of success that some of the anime have that host ridiculously obnoxious characters, and aren't serious at all.