My Hero Academia

JigglyChaos

Hellloooo! (I hope I'm putting this post in the right category!)

Tonight, I will start watching My Hero Academia.

I thought it would be fun if anybody else is still in the beginning of the series, that we have some place to talk about it while we are watching it? (I never used a forum before maybe thats more of a chat/discord kind of topic idk)

Anyways, it would be fun to talk about our impressions with someone who is also experiencing MHA for the first time! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Sweet! I was going to post a rewatch thread for this actually since Season 4 is almost upon us.

Ill leave this thread here for now since we will be starting season 4 in a month and it will be currently airing then.

Having watched the whole first season of MHA, I can say the fight in the school's rescue simulation grounds against the real villains was SOO COOL!

I loved the cleverness of the writers in how to incorporate Mineta's quirk in the fight in the water area.

I also loved the Momo/Denki pair a lot. Momo's creation quirk is pretty neat because she has to know all the molecular science behind the objects.

I was so afraid for Eraser Head at the end but he really fought very well.

At this point, I'm getting pretty worried for All Might. He says he only has 1 hour of stamina left... (no spoilers please!)

As any of you watched the OVAs yet? I'm off to watch the first one!

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Its a pretty awesome show that has in fact grown quite strongly on me. I admit when I first watched it didn't think it was something I would get into it. With that said I quickly developed a love for many of the characters. It is also a series that really teaches quite a few good lessons as well. I'm glad your enjoying it. :) 

• Friendly 1

37 minutes ago, JigglyChaos said:

Having watched the whole first season of MHA, I can say the fight in the school's rescue simulation grounds against the real villains was SOO COOL!

I loved the cleverness of the writers in how to incorporate Mineta's quirk in the fight in the water area.

I also loved the Momo/Denki pair a lot. Momo's creation quirk is pretty neat because she has to know all the molecular science behind the objects.

I was so afraid for Eraser Head at the end but he really fought very well.

At this point, I'm getting pretty worried for All Might. He says he only has 1 hour of stamina left... (no spoilers please!)

As any of you watched the OVAs yet? I'm off to watch the first one!

O_O How did I not watch the OVAs!!!? I was so pumped about this series after binging it all only to be left waiting for season 4. Now its almost time for that season. 

I don’t believe the first 2 OVAs are licensed in the US. I watched them on Youtube, but the picture was only about a third of the screen and terrible quality. I was hoping they would be extras on season 2 or 3 disc release, but nope. A shame because I enjoyed them both. 

I haven’t seen the 3rd OVA. I suppose the movie really wasn’t that bad, it just didn’t feel all that special because the awesomeness of the tv series spoiled me. I was also feeling over hyped because it was the first time I’d seen a non-Ghibli anime in a theater.

Edit: seems I was wrong. Don’t see the third OVA listed as an extra either.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kageokuma said:

The ova are really funny and for some reason they break the 4th wall a lot plus we get some dakuxtsuyu moments 

There’s Deku & Tsuyu moments???????  

Pics or it didn’t happen

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching the first episode of season 4. Did a much better job of summarizing the important story points so far & introducing class 1A while still being entertaining for viewers who’ve been there from the start and not feeling like just a recap (a perfect example of how it SHOULD be done). And as usual the new OP & ED are great. I’ve said before I’m expecting great things from this season (which will be 2 cour) and it’s off to a good start. 🤩

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Im hoping they add more of  Jiro, so far they haven't really shown much of her.  Theres rumors also that the invisible girl is secretly working for the villains. Though this is just a rumor.  The biggest problem with my hero is, every season they have to explain the plot and characters just to fill in time. Its like people already know who they are and what is going on. And new comers are just going to watch season 1 anyway. 

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1

I don’t think it is by necessity that recap episodes are often bad/boring. I was actually impressed by the number of points it touched on (even a nod to the movie), yet it didn’t feel forced and was actually an effective passing of the torch story. And even though the intros for much of the cast were short, they were actually amusing anecdotes that allowed their personalities to shine through, not just their quirks (wish the movie had done more of that). Compare that to last season which seemed to drag on across a couple episodes. Or to the first episode of the recently debuted Assassin’s Pride which spent most of it’s time on the MC’s inner monologue to bring the viewer up to speed on the setting. Amazing the difference effective writing can make.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know, the only ep I can think of that didn’t seem to have Deku at the center was the one about Tsuyu’s internship (actually a bit disappointed that it sounds like we won’t see Sirius & Selkie again). But there are a number of new characters in the OP & PVs I assume will be in the other student’s work studies (Tsuyu, Ochaco, Tsukoyomi and the hardening guy were all mentioned). But yeah, looks like the focus of the first cour anyway will be Deku proving

to Nighteye & himself

that he’s worthy to be All Might’s successor. Wouldn’t be surprised if he comes out publicly as such by season’s end. Also have to say scrawny All Might still appears in costume a lot in the OP for a guy who’s supposed to be retired.

• Like 1

They hinted in the last episode that there will be something up with Allmight. I assume that it will probably have to do with his losing the powers, and probably also suffering severe health repercussions. So I guess that Allmight will play less of a role as a hero this season. But I am curious to see what's up with what they hinted at.