My Hero Academia

JigglyChaos

While the plot didn't progress that much, I really enjoyed today's episode! Tamaki is my favorite character now ๐Ÿ˜‚

I found it hilarious that they solved Mirio's clothes thing by saying that they made his clothes out of his hair ๐Ÿ˜‚ย just wondering how long that took ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

Looks like it will take a while until they get to Eri though

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

Even though the focus of this week was supposed to be Red Riot, ย the high point for me was the reveal of the other aspect of Fatgumโ€™s quirk which tookย me completely by surprise

able to not only absorb all those physical attacks, but store the energy from them to turn back on his opponents

I think heโ€™s my favorite of the new characters.

But to this point I still donโ€™t feel like the fights have been as exciting as Iโ€™d come to expect from this series. Hopefully that will change once they confront Overhaul face to face.

• Like 2

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-12-16/funimation-to-screen-my-hero-academia-heroes-rising-film-in-u.s-canada-in-early-2020/.154355
I figured this would be theย case since 1st film was that way, though it will be at least a couple months after the japanese release probably. Though the creatorโ€™s comments on this probably being the last movieย along with some of the scenesย in the last trailer makes me wonder what they have planned going forward.

Edited by Ohiotaku

On 12/14/2019 at 11:56 AM, Illusion of Terra said:

Fatgum's ability surprised me as well ๐Ÿ˜‚ Although, for some reason I did dislike his change of appearance.ย 

Personally I liked it going from cartoonish/comical to badass.

This week had some really good stuff, but also somethings that didnโ€™t work well from my POV.
Kirishimaโ€™s speech to Fatgum at the beginning actually did more to build his character than all of last week IMO. Likewise Rappa actually developed from a standard goon to a character with at least a bit of substance. Seeing what motivates him and the respect he earned for Kirishima (although that means he wants a deathmatch with him laterย ๐Ÿ˜‚). Also great to see Toga and Twice get actively involved (hadnโ€™t seen Toga get this psychotic/vicious before). And bringing out how Twice feels responsible for the death & injury if his teammates shows the camaraderie that seems lacking in Overhaulโ€™s group.

However, the way they kept jumping around from scene to scene felt out of synch and even the fight choreography didnโ€™t seem to flow very well at times, though it still offer more excitement in a while.

The season seems to be improving somewhat anyway, so hopefully they can keep the momentum going.ย 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

However, the way they kept jumping around from scene to scene felt out of synch and even the fight choreography didnโ€™t seem to flow very well at times, though it still offer more excitement in a while.ย 

Man, Ohiotaku, when you're spot on, you're spot on ๐Ÿ˜‚ย I also had the impression that the fight scenes seemed a bit 'abrupt'

While I thought the whole Rappa thing was great, I do wonder about the whole how he had those 'death matches' with Overhaul but is still alive. They might have explained it before though.

Also, what was up with the wholeย Tomura Shigaraki face scene? I know he has a hand in front of it usually but I didn't see anything all that unusual

3 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

also had the impression that the fight scenes seemed a bit 'abrupt'

It wasnโ€™t just the action, the way they kept switching between groups and present/past made the second half feel like a jumbled mess in a lot ways.

ย 

3 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

While I thought the whole Rappa thing was great, I do wonder about the whole how he had those 'death matches' with Overhaul but is still alive. They might have explained it before though.

Overhaulโ€™s quirk letโ€™s him take things apart and put them back together or alter them. Apparently that include body parts/organs. So heย canย inflict lethalย damage but then repair it afterwards (if he chooses too). Someone having that level of control over whether you live or die would have to be intimidating. There have to be limitations to his quirk, but they havenโ€™t revealed them yet (I assume he would need to โ€œrepairโ€ the damage fairly quickly to keep someone alive)

• Like 1

The focus this week was on Le Million vs Overhaul. In addition to his quirk, Overhaulโ€™s tactic to manipulate peopleโ€™s emotions in order to โ€œbreak them downโ€. Making Eri stay with him by telling her itโ€™s her fault when others get hurt & using the threat of Eri getting injured to make Mirio vulnerable. Itโ€™s implied that his quirk may be gone for good, but he may at least survive since Deku/Eraserhead/Nighteye all arrived. I donโ€™t know, despite the fact that heโ€™s supposed to be an important character, he never really clicked with me. They also seemed to use a lot of still-shots during the fight, which took away a lot of the excitement. Anyway, guess weโ€™ll see how Midoriya fares against Overhaul next week.

Edited by Ohiotaku

On 8/23/2019 at 8:26 PM, JigglyChaos said:

As any of you watched the OVAs yet?

I had no idea there even were OVAs until I read this thread. I was never a big fan of MHA anyway, but now I want to see the OVAs. It appears the 3rd OVA was released just this year as well.

Finally caught up on the recent episodes. I did get why Nighteye thought that Lemillion should have been Allmight's successor, because they kinda have the same attitude. I enjoyed that they are getting to the main part of the season now, and Overhaul seems to be finally showing off his skill (who knew he could fuse with others). What I did find kinda strange about today's episode is how many people are supposedly killed, or almost killed. I kinda wonder how they are going to remedy it. I highly doubt that Overhaul is going to restore them all, at least not voluntarily. All this time I somehow expected Eri to heal them in a way, but this doesn't seem to be the case either. I wonder though, if she might be able to restore Lemillion's power?
What bothers me a bit is that the others seem to be joining the fight now. I kinda wanted to see more of a Deku vs Overhaul, where Deku uses his full power. I mean, the episode title for next episode indicates as such but let's see.

This week's episode was a bit unexpected I think. I did expect Deku to fight Overhaul but, well, not in this way ๐Ÿ˜‚ย The fight was decent but I don't know, it somehow felt 'rushed' in a way.

I didn't really get Eri's quirk. Apparently she can 'rewind' someone's development? What was the whole evolution stuff though? ๐Ÿ˜‚ย They'll probably use her quirk to restore the others I guess.

I really enjoyed hearing more about Overhaul's and Eri's past! What I didn't get was if Overhaul 'temporarily disabled' the old man and why exactly. Curious to see how this goes though, since I expect that Overhaul won't simply be captured.

@Serge heartlessย if you haven't caught up, nows the time. Remember when we were all guessing about Dekus future and a healer that could make him 100% again.. I think we've found one, in a weird, unconventional way.

ย 

That aside, I really appreciate Lemillion as a character about 100 times more now. I hope he gets his quirk back. Eri can probably save him.

Lemillion best boyย 

giphy.gif.e3d007e70c639a474c1213ea3efe5fe3.gif

Looks like the next arc will be much lighter in tone. And judging from theย video Mirio & Eri wonโ€™t be out of the action long

ย 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I was a bit concerned that the shift in toneย would be too abrupt but they seem to beย transitioning into it in a way that feels natural.

Looks like the immediate focus will be on Todoroki & Bakugo getting their licenses. The reappearance of some of the rivals from the previous licensing exam was unexpected and canโ€™t wait for next week

Bakugo plus young kids seems like a volatile situationย 

๐Ÿคฃ

Also looks like weโ€™ll get some exploration of the relationship between Endeavor & Allmight & Todoroki.

And All for Oneโ€™s other apprentice will probably be the big bad for the season finale (definitely gives off some titan vibes) :P

The repercussions of the Ovethaul ย arc will definitely be felt for a long while to come, but honestly I donโ€™t feel it was executed very well, especially explaining things like Eriโ€™s quirk or Ovethaulโ€™s motives.

• Like 1

I agree. I think the transition is still quite fast, but not in any 'artificial' way. It's interesting to see that they seem to be focusing on some a bit more minor characters now.

I also think that the whole Overhaul thing wasn't executed as elegantly, and it was a bit lacking. Still I am curious to see where this all goes. What will happen to Overhaul, and to Eri? Also, if it were possible for Eri to rewind people who have lost their Quirk, couldn't she also rewind Allmight? They might explain this away by saying that he has passed this on to Deku, but generally Eri's quirk seems a bit unclear to me still.

The next episodes seems to be quite hilarious though ๐Ÿ˜‚

As far as Eri's quirk, they are unable to help her develop it ethically, since for now she has only been able to practice it on humans. Meaning, if she doesn't hold back enough, someone could die. The only reason Deku could endure the quirk at full strength was due to the extreme power of his own quirk rivaling hers. I'm guessing that from the ED that her familyย was killed by her quirk once it manifested. Poor Eri-chan She has a lot of healing to do. I hope they show more of her.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I'm guessing that from the ED that her familyย was killed by her quirk once it manifested. Poor Eri-chan She has a lot of healing to do. I hope they show more of her.

My recollection is that her dad literally vanished from existence just by touching her & her mother abandoned her as a result (which made it that much easier for Overhaul to manipulate her by telling her it was her fault people around her got hurt/died). The previous yakuza leader was actually her grandfatherย & he entrusted her to Overhaul since their quirks worked in a similar way. But he wouldnโ€™t go along with Overhaulโ€™s plans for her so he put him in a coma. While itโ€™s certain all her issues wonโ€™t be resolved anytime soon, the trailer shows she will have made at least some progress by seasonโ€™sย end & will have something of a โ€œlittle sisterโ€ relationship to Mirio.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I still wonder exactly what her quirk does though, or how it works. Yes it "developmentally rewinds" people, but that kinda seems odd to me. I don't think Allmight's quirk could be restored, but Lemillion's probably will, so I wonder what reasoning they'll give for that.
Anyway tomorrow will probably be a much lighter episode ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

Was expecting this week to be a single ep with the emphasis on comedy. While there wasย still plenty of that (favorite was the girls hating on Camie for being a sl**ย & even turning against Todoroki because they donโ€™t want to grow up to be โ€œthat kind of womanโ€ :Pย ). But was surprised by Endeavor actually asking Allmight for advice since heโ€™s now officially the #1 hero, but the public isnโ€™t inspired or put at ease by him. This is also reflected by how both Todoroki & the whirlwind guy are determined to NOT follow his example. And the students must figure out a way to getย the kidsโ€™ under control next week (overpowering them will just make them look like bullies & cause resentment but letting them get away with it will just make them more rebellious & disrespectful).

• 2 weeks later...

The conclusion to the confrontation with the kids was ok but not really great. And itโ€™s not that easy to make Endeavor look like a sympathetic character given that he was physically abusive to his family.

The second half with bellybutton laser guy just felt awkward/creepy instead of funny. Even the empathy heโ€™s supposed to feel with Deku really didnโ€™t really comeย across.

My whole problem with season 4 is it doesnโ€™t seem able to maintain anyย momentum. Just when it looks like things are getting good, it just sputters out. Still hoping something awesome will happen, but not really able to feel hyped anymore.

• Agree 1

Yeah, I definitely agree. This week's episode was kinda lacking. I thought there would be more to the whole kids plot, especially from the way they hyped it in last week's preview.

And don't even get me started on Aoyama, what even was that ๐Ÿ˜‚ย Maybe it's just me, but I kinda didn't get it.

Definitely agree there, @Ohiotaku, this season kinda feels half-baked. It's still entertaining and all, but it just not on par with the other seasons.

2 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

And don't even get me started on Aoyama, what even was that ๐Ÿ˜‚ย Maybe it's just me, but I kinda didn't get it.

I think the whole thing about cheese was supposed to be a stereotypical joke about him being part French (actually his whole character seems that way). It seemed like they were trying to make him more tragic by revealing that his quirk actually damages his body & he has to wear that belt at all times, but the other aspects are just so goofy it had no impact (for meย anyway)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2