My Hero Academia

JigglyChaos

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Season 5 premiered today. As expected,  the first ep primarily reintroduces Class 1A & touches on a few key story elements. The training exercise set up is  far from original & some of the reasons for demonstrating everyone’s quirks felt like a stretch, but they did seem to do a good job of letting their differing personalities shine through in their brief time onscreen. The ones that really shone were The Big 3 though

from Hado playing against type as a “villain”, to Anajiki just wanting to leave, to Mirio’s goofball “Oops, I fell in the river again, someone save me” schtick

🤣

The second half of the ep focused on the aftermath of Endeavor’s fight against the Ultra Nomu from last season. If you read any of my previous comments in this thread you know I am not an Endeavor fan & last season’s finale left a bad taste in my mouth since I felt they were trying to fast-track his turn from heel to face. I feel a little bit better now that this week at least hinted that it will be more of a journey

the long pause before Todoroki responded to his classmate saying he must be proud of his dad can be interpreted several ways. Maybe he’s concerned because Endeavor is still seriously injured or because he’s not used to having positive things to say about him. My hope is that Todoroki is still hesitant to forgive all the abuse he subjected him & his mom to. I’ll say it again, I’m actually in favor of Endeavor being allowed to redeem himself, but it shouldn’t be quick or easy. And it’s not a matter of getting stronger or more badass or changing his look. I’m also intrigued by the possibility that Dabi & the LoV might be looking to exploit Endeavor’s rise to being the new #1 hero & Hawks may also have ulterior motives 

I actually had quite a bit to say for what was a largely a recap episode, but I remain cautiously hopeful that this season could be a return to greatness for the series.

Edited by Ohayotaku

14 minutes ago, thatdeepguy said:

Hi I just started watching MHA and I think its good but I really like dark anime like death note or aot !

I‘m responding with some recommendations in a PM so as not to get off topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, they sure crammed a lot into this week’s ep.

Hawks & the League of Villains

so Hawks was asked to infiltrate the LoV to spy on them, but it won’t be easy to gain their trust. We got a glimpse of why he has a personal respect for Endeavor. And some of Dabi’s dialogue suggests he may get some character exploration soon

Endeavor’s “Redemption”

the one thing clear after that family dinner is that everyone is at a different stage if reconciliation. I can kind of understand Todoroki’s sister’s desire to finally be an actual family, but it was Endeavor who decided she & Todoroki’s brother were “failures” and wanted  nothing to do with them. Todoroki’s brother is still so pissed off he has a hard time believing that Endeavor is actually sincere about changing & isn’t just trying to improve his public image. It might seem strange considering that he’s the one who’s most angry, but as the eldest sibling I think he may have some feelings of guilt about not being able to protect their mom or Todoroki from the abuse. And Todoroki believes it’s possible that his father might actually change, but is waiting to see more evidence if it. And the fact that the mom is still so traumatized she can’t even be in the same room as Endeavor despite wanting to be a family again just reinforces that there’s still a long way to go

The Origins & Destiny of One for All

this is one of the series greatest  unexplored topics. While I don’t know just how many answers we’ll get this season, we got some interesting insights this week. And it seems that Deku is reaching a critical point in his destiny. And it may not all be positive

Looks like the inter-class competition starts next week, which means action is about to pick up. 

On 3/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, Ohayotaku said:

Отвечаю некоторыми рекомендациями в личку, чтобы не уходить от темы.

If you like dark anime, then of course it's better to watch. But there are many fans like me who not only watch anime but also read. Has anyone read Novel-Sempai? There is a lot of everything collected, but how interesting is it? Has anyone read it? Can anyone give their opinion on this directory? And what about "Dang, they sure crammed a lot into this week’s ep", that's why he is a series, so that the plot is multi-layered.

Edited by MikFox91
Removing link - Please review forum guidelines

• 4 months later...

I’m actually pretty hype for this current arc with the League of Villains being the focus instead of the “heroes”. It’s a good opportunity to get some more depth to their characters and see their teamwork in action.

Edited by Ohayotaku

The latest movie is scheduled to be in theaters outside Japan starting late October

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2021/08/25/funimation-officially-bringing-my-hero-academia-world-heroes-mission-to-theaters-this-october/

safe bet I’ll go to see since I did the 2 previous.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

Two new OVAs just went up on the season 5 section of Crunchyroll.

Thank you!! I JUST saw that MHA was in the "Most recently added" section on Crunchyroll but I didn't think much about it, as they update things sometimes. So I wouldn't have known! Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Takatofan1986 said:

Thank you!! I JUST saw that MHA was in the "Most recently added" section on Crunchyroll but I didn't think much about it, as they update things sometimes. So I wouldn't have known! Thank you!

Yeah, CR makes things confusing by marking series as “Updated” everytime they add a dub (German, Portugese, etc). They need to add an option where it screens notifications based on the subscriber’s preferred language. I knew the OVAs were scheduled sometime today thanks to an earlier announcement.

Pretty sure they’re just sidestories/filler but still intend to watch them when I get home tonight.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 12:52 PM, Ohayotaku said:

Two new OVAs just went up on the season 5 section of Crunchyroll.

Having watched these, I have to say. both episodes were good examples of “filler” that nevertheless were entertaining & enjoyable.

The 1st one about baseball was just pure comedy with the team leaders being ultra competitive & the slapstick violence. However, there was actually some very creative use of quirks from characters that don’t normally get much screen time & the artwork/animation was eye catching.

The 2nd ep was more nuanced . On the surface it also seemed tongue in cheek with the “villain” being a graffiti artist with a “laughable” quirk. But it quickly demonstrated that even a silly seeming power could still be very troublesome even for top tier heroes. It also emphasized Deku’s different perspective & approach to being a hero

whereas Endeavor & Bakugo  both seemed motivated by payback after being humiliated, Deku saw a potential ally & used empathy to get Mr. Smiley on a more positive path

Plus any time 2nd best MHA girl Mei Hatsumi gets some screentime, it’s a good thing 🥰 And just like the other ep, the art & animation was better than a typical episode.

Some folks might not have cared for the lighter tone of these eps, but I enjoyed them a lot & based on some comments I’ve seen, season 6 later this year will get extremely dark & bleak.