Musuko

I just got a free order from Ebay, but there's one problem...

I didn't actually order it.

image.thumb.png.b0079437e017cf780d11b6134e13fe86.png

Should I be worried? I haven't used Ebay in years. It has my address on it, but I don't think any of my financial information was on it. According to the digital receipt, it was bought with a code. Do you guys think something bad happened here?

I'm a little worried. I changed my passwords and removed as much information from everything as I could. Earlier this week I had an email saying someone tried to sign into my account from China, but it was successfully blocked.

Posted (edited)

Cav, is that you?

Okay...so no one here would get that joke.

Anyway, I would refuse the package. If you didn't make the order, then that of itself is suspicious. I would refuse it, and contact eBay to tell them what happened. Make sure you document the package and all the paperwork included (what actually says you used a code).

Also - did you check the email headers in that email?  The overt header looks right, but those are fudged pretty easily.

Also - source: INFOSEC/OPSEC is literally part of my job. lol

Edited by The History Kid
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

The emails saying somebody was trying to log into your email address are actually emails that are trying to get your information by having you change it after clicking on those emails. Anything you didn't order that comes to you you can keep at least in America by the Federal Trade Commission that prohibits mailing un-ordered merchandise to customer. If they shouldn't have your billing information and you didn't order it you're free and clear, a lot of sites can get your information and use it to scare folks into giving out more info, heck these days Google is basically spyware. Google sells location data to other other companies and has the legal right to read your messages that were delivered through their services, just nothing you can really do about your information getting out there these days even a company can screw up and screw you over if you take every possible precaution that the leak doesn't come from your end it can still be leaked from their end. If you start getting billed for something you're going to have to take it up as a fraud case regardless of what you do now anyway, but you run the risk of exposing yourself more by reacting out of panic.

That's part of the reason two-form authentication has become such a big thing.  It's also why you always want to check headers from any promotional email.  I know that anything that has billing info attached to it anymore has multi-form authentication.  But, if it's work related?  Good luck getting that, junior.

• Agree 1