Is Their Any Video Game You Find Hard To Finish?

Nova

All of them.  :D  I don't like it when a book or an anime or a game ends, especially if it is a good one.  Sometimes I'll leave the last chapter or the last episode for a week or more before I finish it.  More of a personality quirk than a difficulty issue tho..

• Agree 3

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel. Something about it I just absolutely loathe despite liking the series overall. The gameplay doesn't feel the same as the previous games even though there really wasn't any big changes it feels less tuned like playing an old early gen shooter. The humor is dry and they're trying hard with a lot of jokes that are localized to Australia which may or may not be funny there. Certain mechanics are simply annoying adding nothing to the actual game. Like all Borderlands the scaling is poor towards end game only giving the illusion of customization of load-outs and their number of gun combinations is a major point they try to use to sell the game and it boils down to that quite frankly you have about 5 or 6 guns to choose from unless you want to intentionally handicap yourself by using inferior gear some gear that is so bad that it renders the game unplayable (at higher levels). The fact of the matter is counting a gun as a separate gun simply because a part is different is just a cheap way to inflate the numbers and if other games did the same they'd be able to claim a large number of gun varieties as well, but they don't because they're not actually different guns just slightly better stats on the same basic gun. Heck even Call of Duty has thousands of combinations of guns and they're not a loot driven game. I also don't like Gearbox, so that adds to the apathy towards poor games from them. I wanted to finish it before Borderlands 3 came out, but I'll likely just end up not and pretending it doesn't exist instead and focus on Borderlands and Borderlands 2 even with their flaws.

Need a little more elaboration on the topic... do you mean as in "so terrible you are finding it difficult to finish the game" or "it's so good you don't want it to end"?

Honestly I have at least one in the terrible side and that would be Resident Evil 7 Biohazard. The storyline was severely lacking and the characters weren't memorable at all. The bosses weren't challenging and there wasnothing special about them. 

As for a game that I didn't want to finish because I didn't want it to end would be the original Mass Effect trilogy. It was one franchise I'm very partial too and still am to this day. Every time I finish it it's like a kick in the feels. I'm still irritated that they won't complete the Andromeda story. I understand a lot of people hated on it (not me) but I absolutely cannot stand not finishing a story. I feel incomplete and it bugs me to no end.

• 2 weeks later...

There was this Jackie Chan game on the Playstation 1 that I found so hard to finish. It was extremely difficult. (at least for me)

I got angry so many times that I decided it wasn't worth it. I'm playing games to have fun not to get stressed.

So I quit. Even to this day I never tried again.

It's funny too because whenever you paused the game, Jackie Chan would say something like "So that's it? You're just gonna walk away?" 😁

• 1 month later...

@EnviousEnvy mass effect 1-3 were outstanding even if 3's original ending was a little basic, though I think they could never have finished the stories off right as not many hardcore fans wanted the series again. Andromeda I agree with you was a good game, with problems yes, but I agree with you every time I play those games it is major feels.

I have to finish a game, even if i skip content etc I shall get to the end so it is done and I can move on. i'm the same with TV, Anime etc

• 2 months later...

I never finished battle toads and double dragon and super ghouls n ghost.  Just really hard games. Now days you can beat almost any game cause you have infinite lives and infinite continues. Back in the day you were limited to what you had.  I can only image these fortnite, five nights at Freddy, and Minecraft kids trying to beat Nintendo and Sega games now. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Serge heartless said:

I never finished battle toads and double dragon and super ghouls n ghost 

I had never finished ghouls myself as a kid, only decades later. The reason was mostly that I didn't know English as a kid and didn't know you had to beat the bosses with that new pendant weapon. So yeah, I almost beat it a couple of times when I was a kid. Then again, I doubt I would have beaten the final boss with all the stuff that he shoots. I might give it a shot when I have some time as I still remember most of it and all the treasures 😂
Can't remember if I ever beat battle toads though.

I do think games nowadays are overall 'easier' in the sense you mentioned with the continues etc, but that might be because people nowadays don't seem to have the time to spend on games or don't want to. So I can see how people would simply not finish games if you could not save because they would have to play all of the first levels over again

3 hours ago, Serge heartless said:

I never finished battle toads and double dragon and super ghouls n ghost.  Just really hard games. Now days you can beat almost any game cause you have infinite lives and infinite continues. Back in the day you were limited to what you had.  I can only image these fortnite, five nights at Freddy, and Minecraft kids trying to beat Nintendo and Sega games now. 

In my day you typically got 3 lives for a quarter (USD), and when you died extra lives cost another quarter.  (This was early '80s money too, so it was worth something.  Bread was ~50 cents a loaf, gas was about $1/gal., etc.)  You became good at the game, or you went home broke.  I find most games these days way too easy.

On topic... I do find games that take a long time hard to finish, especially if they take a long time to get into in the first place.  I usually don't have a lot of contiguous time to play games these days.  If it takes a long time to get back into the flow then I don't tend to make much progress, and often I wind up dropping these sorts of games.  I don't know how many times I've loaded up an old save from a couple years ago and didn't have enough time to even figure out what I was doing before I had to give up again and go to bed/work/etc.  :(

Edited by efaardvark

Open world games with lots of things to do are always hard for me to finish. I just get sidetracked over and over by sidequests and silly ideas~

I have played Skyrim a few hundred hours and never once finished the actual story technically. I've gotten close, but then I always get distracted~

• 3 months later...

for some reason i could never finish tales of zestiria...its a pretty easy game up until the final boss, but the boss has a move that kind of TPKs you and i haven't figured out how to get past it. I can survive it the first time he uses it, but he uses it too frequently for me to fully recover. i also haven't been able to defeat the final boss of the first Kingdom Hearts.

I used to have this issue where I enjoyed the journey so much I'd never finish the game, even if that meant shelving the game. I'd get depressed right after completing a game. Then I examined why I was doing that and forced myself to go back and finish a ton. I still get depressed post-endgame but these days I don't let it stop me from finishing a game. It's still all about the journey for me but I make sure I close the book these days too before I open a new one.

I'm essentially the gamer type they sing about in The World is Saved😁

• Like 1