What is your favorite anime tearjerker?

Mazino

pjimage.thumb.jpg.26aca170805ca093c91f6e6b6688a7f6.jpg

What are some of your favorite anime tearjerkers? Do you know an anime tearjerker that is not as popular as the ones on the picture above? Which themes are generally used in tearjerkers where people tend to cry more often? Is it Death, Love or some other topic you can relate to? 

I have recently finished watching a movie named I want to eat your pancreas which is now one of my favorite tearjerkers of all time. I didn't think I would enjoy it this much. It aired back in 2018 but since then it was just getting dusty on my overly huge watch-list on MAL. I would be recommending this to anybody who has seen the other anime on the picture above. (it's the one at the first left corner)

Edited by Muco
  • Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1126/Figure_17__Tsubasa___Hikaru?q=Figure

It doesn’t really fit the pattern set by the examples above, but I remember it bringing tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. Basically it’s about a grade schooler who’s mom passed away recently and her dad moves them from the city out to a rural area. Adjusting is made even harder when her new classmates mistake her shyness for being a snob (not wanting to talk to/be friends with hicks). When she finds an alien ship crashed in the woods, she has an encounter that begins to change her life. It’s an odd format with each episode being twice the normal length with the first 30 minutes usually having a drama or slice of life feel and the remainder focused on action. While it is overall a heartwarming and encouraging story, there are also several tragic developments. If you’re looking for something different I recommend it.

I also loved Anohana, and A Silent Voice. My favorite one I can think of besides those would be Fruits Basket. Although its extremely popular, so no points there. I think I cry for different reasons when watching that anime. Its not necessarily that its sad, but that it works through a lot a lot of different emotions.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Okko's Inn

When Marnie Was There

Wolf's Rain

Fruits Baskets

Wolf Children

NANA

These are just some to mention. I have a  nasty habit of checking out an anime I've never seen especially without reading the description and it being an extremely sad anime (oops).

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

made in abyss 

angel beats

pet girl sakurasou

I know angel beats isnt as good as other tearjerker but it made me sad none the less, pet girl was sad without having anything too bad happen to the characters and made in abyss well it had this 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I agree with several anime listed here. 

Made in Abyss (around when Nanachi is introduced) and Wolf Children (was thinking about adding this to the picture above tbh) have a really great story that can bring down a tear or two. Ghibli Movies tend to be very emotional and can leave you with an empty feeling afterwards, whether you burst with joy or break into tears is something you make up in your mind yourself. Wolf Rain is also a must-watch and a great addition to the list of tearjerkers but it might be not everyone's cup of tea.

Edited by Muco
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think I talked about Maquia: When the Promised flower blooms somewhere here before and it really is a tearjerker for me. It kinds of stir up all sorts of your emotions and then just lets it all go all at once. It's just heartbreaking and I can't find the words to describe it as much BUT its really tattooed in my kokoro <3

• Aww 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've cried on a lot of anime I guess. Clannad, Fruit Baskets, Angel Beats, 5cm Per Second makes me cry and I cried a lot in various parts of Naruto with my favorite characters dying as well.

Also got very upset in DeathNote with my favorite character dying ><

• Like 1

Oh, there's so many of them! However, one stands out to me strongly. It's an anime called Kanon, based on a visual novel. I won't spoil anything for anyone reading this, but there was a certain part with this character (who I love tremendously) that still makes me cry even though I've seen the anime many, many times.

spacer.png

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1